The Stahly razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The original handle is "Rosie O'Donnell" and the Wolfman is more like Kate Upton..
    [​IMG]

2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

image.jpg In that case I vote wolfman!

3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

OK, I can look at my Stahly again. Where do I get the Upton handle! LOL

GDCarrington and hippiebrian like this.
  4. Herm2502

Be patient Grasshopper.

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Hi Herm I just wanted you to know I took your advice. After trying and failing, over the last month, to get a decent shave out of a Rolls Razor, apparently I just can't shave with a straight either on or off a stick.:happy097: I kept patiently searching ebay for a Stahly. I just made a B.I.N. on one for $25 with free shipping, I figure the razor cost me $20 and based on my research I don't see getting one cheaper as possible. Anyway thanks for the advice honorable Master. :smiley respect:

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Grats on scoring one. I had another one or two shaves with the head on various handles and I really like it. Super efficient and mild at the same time.
    Using it on the original handle was....fun....but did not allow the head to show how good it really is - so slap it onto your handle of choice :)

178-bplatoon likes this.
  7. 178-bplatoon

I will use it with the original handle the first time, but I can't wait to try it with my other handles. I also have a Star shave head that has the same skeleton key looking holes on the blade plate. I can't wait to try it with the Stahly handle.:)

Darkbulb likes this.
  8. Herm2502

Nice hunting! See, your razor was waiting out there for you! :happy088:

:thanks:Thanks for your kind words, but I still consider myself a rookie at this wet shaving stuff. 16 months in and I'm still learning. BTW, you're braver than I am. I'm not sure I would try a Rolls. :shocked003: I know they're out there, but I'm chicken. :scared011:

Billyfergie likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Most vintage Rolls razors are not shave ready, due to previous owners being rather lax in maintaining them. They are a pain to hone correctly.

Once they're set up properly, they work great, but I won't go that route again unless I come across NOS blades.

Billyfergie likes this.
  10. 178-bplatoon

Trust me your not missing anything. I'm not ignorant to getting a razor sharp, even scary sharp edge on a knife, but honing a shaving blade is a whole nother animal. To be kind it was a ROUGH shave!:happy102: I had to finish the shave with my Weber. The Rolls is on the bench until I'm ready/willing at the minimum, to have it professionally honed. Then maybe I'll try it again.
    In the mean time, I've got my new Stahly shave head coming and I am excited to give it a try.:)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    Billyfergie and Herm2502 like this.
  11. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Any way to get parts? I have my eye on one that needs seals and doesn't catch well and needs work. It looks really good.

12. DDuckyMark

Nevermind I found plenty of links with disassembly and repair. Google translate was my friend.

EDIT: the girlfriend vetoed any more razors for now. I'll just look at them for awhile.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

[makes a whip cracking sound]

14. DDuckyMark

I wear the pants but, she picks the color and tells me what leg to put on first.

I'm okay with it.

mrchick and Darkbulb like this.
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

@DDuckyMark @mrchick
    Welcome to the "Stahly club" - ok, ok I promise I won't actually make a "club" :D

RyX, mrchick and Billyfergie like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Don't need a club, but this was an interesting read. After I try mine with the original functioning handle, I'll see which others fit.
    A question for Stahly owners; The guard bars look like they would roll. Mine don't. Should they?
    Stahly guard bar.gif

17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

No, it's a fixed bar.
    Do try it on other handles - maybe one of the best vintage DE heads ever made.

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Agreed!

RyX and david of central florida like this.
  19. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Now we just need to talk PAA into copying it. :)

20. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

It's one of my favorites as well. I have mine on a Weber Bulldog handle and it's a a great shaver.

RyX likes this.