The Stahly razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Jul 24, 2015.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The Stahly head indeed gives a very good shave but for me the Clix is better. When I recently pared down my rotation and had to decide between the two, it was no contest.

RyX likes this.
  2. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

I love my Stahly head, too, but a problem I have is that one side is decidedly more aggressive than the other; or, rather, I should say that one side is decidedly LESS aggressive. So mild, in fact, that it's really hard to get a good shave with it. So much so, in fact, that sometimes I shave with just one side of the razor and then turn the blade around for the next day.

I think it got that way because of the way the safety bars are attached; it's unique, and was designed that way because of the vibrations of the handle. I think it's why the razor is so comfortable, but also it leads to this asymmetry in some of these heads. The other issue is that the tiny lines on the safety bar are really hard to clean. Most Stahly heads in the wild have a lot of dark discoloration in this tiny lines, and it's near impossible to clean it off.

I would love to have another Stahly, but only if I could be guaranteed that the sides would be at least roughly equivalent, and I know of no way of ascertaining that prior to buying the razor. Sigh.

RyX likes this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Since getting my first Stahly in 2015, I've used the razor head with several different handles for every shave. I now mostly use it with my Weber BullDog handle. This combo gives me a wonderful, smooth, irritation free shave :happy088:. Luckily my shave head shaves the same on both sides.:)

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Now y'all got me wondering. I'd like to see if my Stahly head is symmetric. Cleaned and polished but I haven't loaded a blade yet. As I recall there wasn't standard blade for the unit. Anyone found greater success with a particular type or brand?

5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Mine is simetrical as well.
    Cant the odd one be adjusted? I'm sure it wasn't supposed to be that way.

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Anybody know if the Stahly head (guard and cap) is brass or Zamac? I'd love to see this thing in brass if it's under that plating. I'm guessing brass from the worn out ones I've seen. I may pick up another to polish down.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    RyX likes this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Polished brass

[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RyX and brit like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

very cool..