The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I had to re-read what he said about Xecutive Man and Sharp Dressed Man-he was referring to the bath soaps only, is my understanding.

2. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

She has great taste. ;)

PLAla, Linuxguile, Shojo510 and 3 others like this.
  3. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

All I know is you work up a sweat making a lather on the South of the Border stuff. Got 2 bars left, hate to just give them the toss, but I'm thinking about it.
    Was 2000 deodorant? The package doesn't say so now, if that is what you are referring to.

4. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Stolling on Baker Street is always good.

5. Paul Turner

Yes, it opened as a deodorant soap. Now the D isn't there, as you say.

6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Almost makes a shower not worth it!

PickledNorthern, PLAla and Frijolero like this.
  7. Norcalnewb

You are correct about that! But of course, in my humble opinion, she couldn't choose incorrectly in this particular case.

8. Paul Turner

What was the correct choice?

9. Norcalnewb

In this case, Baker Street, but all the scents I gave her to choose from would have been terrific.

john zeiger, PLAla, Shojo510 and 2 others like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Oh, sorry....you said she couldn't choose Incorrectly. Misread the IN.

PLAla, Frijolero and Edison Carter like this.
  11. Paul Turner

Thanks a lot for "liking" my error, Mr. Cawtuh:p

PLAla, Edison Carter and Frijolero like this.
  12. Latherin’ Luddite

I do the same thing with my son if he’s in the vicinity. He’s a very scent conscious little dude for not quite 7 yrs.

Two nights ago I was tucking him in with a hug (after just shaving), and he said “ahhhh, Orange Chill!” I was very proud of course.:)

My wife just chuckled and shook her head.

13. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

You've gotten some good feedback so far. I'll throw my hat in the ring on this one.
    1. I think the bath samples I've gotten can smell a bit weak too. In general I find the full soaps are a little stronger, but the shave soaps, to me, are the strongest in scent, for whatever reason. In fact, I find Stirling shaving soaps to be some of the strongest our there.
    2. It has probably been at least a year and a half since I've shaved with XXX or with Piancenza, and I never really tried to compare the two, but I'd say those scents are in the same "family". If you like XXX, I think piacenza would be worth a shot.
    3. Not a sandalwood guy - can't comment on that one.
    4. I think the lemon chill covers up the menthol smell quite well. If you like the smell of lemons I'd recommend it. I've never tried eskimo tuxedo, but it's the menthol version of Sharp Dressed Man, which I do own. I find it to one of the weaker smelling scents, so I think menthol would be prevalent in that one.
    5. I'd agree with Jared on the "polarizing" scents. I, personally, don't like any of those. Some of the fruit scents and seasonal scents are favorites for me. Also, they sell tins that you can put their 1 oz samples in. I've got a ton of Stirling soaps that I've bought this way. It's the best value in shaving, and if you don't like the scent, don't put it in the tin and try another one. You're only out a few bucks, you can try a bunch of scents, and with a bit of variety you'll take seemingly forever to get to the bottom of any tin.

Cheers, and enjoy!

14. GADback

GADback Well-Known Member

Yes--these were both full size bath soaps. I bought them thinking it may have been a good way to sample scents, but I don't think it was. Next purchase I'll just get more sample size soaps.

This is really helpful and it gives me some good ideas on what to try. I think I'm leaning toward getting samples of Piacenza, Lemon Chill, Glacial Spearmint, Agar, Port au Prince, Ozark Mountain, and Sandalwood. 7 samples should last me a good while.

15. Latherin’ Luddite

Piacenza and XXX are very similar..........with the win going to Pia IMO. I LOVE the scent, and have aftershaves from Stirling, RazoRock, Fine and Phoenix. They're all very similar but slightly different, and often I'll dab on a drop from any of the above two as a pair. If you like Parma (or XXX) you'll like Piacenza. And Piacenza soap smells stronger than XXX...........at least my tubs do.

I also love Arkadia (a TDH homage) and consider it kind of a musky/aud-y cousin of Parma. It rates sampling IMO.

And I feel as though I'd be letting a brother down if I didn't point out that your sample list doesn't include MITA. This is the perfect time of year to fall in love with it. It's also the time of year that the Glacia version is available. It's on my forever list.

16. Shojo510

Shojo510 Well-Known Member

+1 on the glacial MITA sample :happy088:

17. Latherin’ Luddite

Well, after a week or two of enjoying Lemony Orange, I finally got my order placed for the matching AS I missed the first time. I also ordered more MITA fluids (nothing like 100 degree weather to motivate menthol purchases) because it’s a fantastic soap that deserves the whole band backing it up.

I added a backup bottle of SDM because my first one jumped into the sink and fragged the cap. Twice actually. Now it’s tapped up and in the fridge to slow evaporation. I’ll use it hard once fall arrives. It’s going to be my temporary Signature Scent. :D

18. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

SOTD- 07/14/18

Schick Grip Injector Razor (L)
    Chinese Schick Injector Blade (6)
    Semogue SOC (Boar)
    Stirling Sandalwood SS
    Mennen Original Skinbracer

Clayton[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Edison Carter, PLAla and Linuxguile like this.
  19. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I've been using nothing but this sample of electric sheep for a week now. I see a full tub of this stuff in my future.

But I'm still itching to get home and break out the lemony orange.

20. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I have so many soaps that I enjoy yet I still want to try the Lemony Orange soap and aftershave. It would be really cool if Rod would also sell it in the sample size. Have a safe trip home and enjoy that soap.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk