The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

The Shaving World needs to hear that again-not the lousy attempt at repeating it that we hear now. That's why I call anything other than Shulton "New spice".

ezlovan, Frijolero, Yehuda D and 4 others like this.
  2. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Tonight I dug the remainder of Ramblin Man from my mug and sent it to the shower for the remainder of its time on earth. There are a couple dozen other Stirling scents that I should be enjoying, and life is way too brief.

I mentioned in the Fall Soap thread that I stumbled into a new tub of Sandalwood. It’s like finding a $20 bill while doing laundry! Now I need to spend some time getting to know this classic scent.

3. Paul Turner

Actually, let me make a slight correction. "Stoylin Spice" neither Old or New-I call it Independent, but leaning towards Old.

ezlovan, brit, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  4. Latherin’ Luddite

Tonight’s shave was Stirling Agar. I then finished off with Proraso Wood & Spice balm. It’s not a match for Oud, but is just plain great, so I forced it to work. Tomorrow morning I’ll spray on a little matching EDT or cologne. I love this scent!

5. Paul Turner

Agar won round One of the 2020 Stoylin Tony Awards Competition(both in soap and A.S.).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    ezlovan, Frijolero, brit and 3 others like this.
  6. Latherin’ Luddite

I asked my 8yr old son’s opinion last night with a blind sniff test between Agar and Sandalwood. He quickly replied “that one .......by a mile,” in favor of Agar. I smiled and told him that was my vote too. Funny thing is that a year ago I didn’t care for it, preferring some of Stirlings bigger sellers instead. It’s borderline amazing how much my tastes swing throughout the year and/or evolve and mature.

I keep waiting for The Veg to choose me, but that’s probably never going to happen.

7. Paul Turner

You aren't alone....my nomination of Agar appeared to throw Doc Ezlovan off. I'm sure he's glad I nominated it, though. Well, it's just one of 5 choices I'll make before the "Best In Show" contest at the end of the year.

8. Paul Turner

My Ramblin Man has been very patient inside my cabinet. Should finally get some work this coming week.

9. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Off theme - My time Saturday

Proraso menthol pre-shave
    Stirling Island Man SS
    Stirling Badger
    Focus R21 Evolution plastic doodad barbering tool
    GSB on 1
    Alum check
    Proraso menthol after shave
    Stirling Island Man AS
    Cotton ball check

Having eluded the Blue Ming almost all week I was unable to make it to the Island with him excluded today. He was almost thinking that I had joined the Arid Soap Symposium where water spigots are banned. I gave him the assurance that in his absence I maintained my preference for shiny slippery shave soap just over to the sloshy side.

Ran through my normal 3 passes first with great results. I chose this tool planning for the next move based upon my experience that top tier hair severing is obtained at low pressure, low angles, easy.

Having been @Trigger -ed to conquer the elusive under the jaw line, upper neck, side to center, ATG, move normally delegated to Double Jedi Masters. I mustered the greatest concentrations and powers of the Force at my disposal, yet failed to be able to complete the training.

Unwilling to just walk away I tried an alternative with this grip.

[​IMG]

Bringing my hand as seen to my right side neck and making a stroke that is upward and center-ward turned out to be just enough ATG to deliver. I can do this move both sides while stretching the skin downward with the opposite hand.

Awesome, now for the alum, great, a tingle, no sting.

Finishing up routine done..... Now I'm wandering. Went for a cotton ball. Well, I failed my Barbers Board exam on a few snags, still my closest open blade shave yet.

So, this is a move that I can do, with a new blade in a shavette anyhow. I'll have to devote some time on other tools and try to incorporate it in my routine.

[​IMG]

Great Saturday shave.
    My best wishes to all!

10. Latherin’ Luddite

I’m heading to a coworkers retirement party in a few hours, so even though it’s my day off, I need to look my best.

Given that the venue is a pub rather than the office or church or a trip to the dentists chair, I broke out the delightfully big, bold, manly Haverford. It’s perfect for this time of year, and I can’t get enough of that scent.

Each of the three enjoyable applications of this fantastic soap was done on by my Phoenix Green Ray. Removal was with by my Game Changer. I finished things off with the matching splash, and now I’m just sitting here in a cloud of awesomeness and basking in the glow of a great shave.:cool:

11. Paul Turner

Another item was "knocked over" yesterday(besides my shave soap)...the Sharp Dressed Man, with the slightly broken cap. I don't think anything spilled out, though.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  12. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

For my Menthol Monday morning fun! ;) 819B52C6-1AA6-4982-9F9E-3E92FBFBC3CE.jpeg

13. Latherin’ Luddite

Ha! I feel your pain. I’ve knocked over and broken my SDM cap twice! JB Weld fixed it the first time, and electricians tape is barely working the second. I keep the bottle in the fridge to minimize evaporation. The bottle is just about empty (finally) and I have a new one on deck.

Apparently SDM is an “at risk” scent.

14. Paul Turner

Mine was PIFed by someone-I didn't order it directly from Doc Ezlovan. Probably doesn't make a difference though.

15. brit

brit in a box

stirling sandpiper/ysl la nuit de l'homme.. 20191013_085438_edited.jpg

16. Paul Turner

This way you can compare how close Sandpiper is to the real YSL

17. brit

brit in a box

close enough for me sir..:)

18. Paul Turner

Might not be a bad idea for these WARM October days in Massachusetts-that's right, not Alabama.

19. Paul Turner

Oh ok....well that's points for Stoylin to have a close match :).

20. brit

brit in a box

it is very close .i would dare say identical to my nose..it was modelled after this edt i believe..