The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Don't forget Iced Pineapple... Pure happiness in a jar

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

theFAT98, ezlovan, Frijolero and 8 others like this.
  2. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Agreed! And I should add Coconut Lime also. Iced Pineapple, CL, and MITA are my main three summer scents. They’re fantastic.

3. brit

brit in a box

fine shave and pic Perry..

4. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

Trigger, ezlovan, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  5. Gnomeo0228

Gnomeo0228 Well-Known Member

This is true!!!!

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Some reviewers of Coniferous likened it to the smell of a Christmas tree.

7. Latherin’ Luddite

It smells EXACTLY as it’s named. Essential oils must be used because it’s a completely authentic scent............and I really enjoy it.

J. Greene, ezlovan, Jim99 and 6 others like this.
  8. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Anybody try one of Stirling's HMW Brushes? If so, what do you think about it? (I'm thinking of treating myself to a new brush for the Holidays and this is one I am considering). Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

9. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Fantastic summer scent.

10. Paul Turner

They do look great-a little over my budget though.

11. john zeiger

I agree - my favorite summer scent. It smells exactly like pineapple.

ezlovan, theFAT98, brit and 2 others like this.
  12. Latherin’ Luddite

And if I can add to this question; what do these brushes improve on the fan tip butterscotch? Density? Softness? Both? Enough to notice? Thanks!

ezlovan, brit, john zeiger and 2 others like this.
  13. john zeiger

You are right Latherin'. I've bought so little shaving gear this year (because I already have plenty of everything) that I thought that I would treat myself to a real soft brush. I certainly don't need it - so I probably won't get it. Just itching to buy something but I guess i'll let this itch go unscratched. Thank you for helping me see the light.

14. Paul Turner

And John you may have helped ME see the light. There isn't much I NEED, but I always like the challenge of "should I or should I not" buy something. With my collection, "not" becomes the wiser these days.

ezlovan, Frijolero, brit and 2 others like this.
  15. Latherin’ Luddite

Sorry John, I REALLY wasn’t trying to kill your desire for a new brush. I have many more brushes than I “need” and yet I’m still attracted to new/different ones all the time........... and am almost amazed by friends and family that seem perfectly content with ONE brush! Amazing!

I really was asking for a comparison against the fantastic fan-tip butterscotch. It’s very possible to improve on greatness (it happens in all facets of life———and sometimes not), so I wonder just how sweet this new brush is. I personally find a certain balance between density vs. lather hogging acceptable, but I think at some point my Scottish DNA kicks in, and I won’t use a true soap hog on a weekly basis. It becomes a special occasion brush...............and I’ve spent a lot more money on soaps than I need to,?so it’s not a supply issue but rather a wasteful issue I guess. If I was a head shaver my attitude would change I think.

I have a healthy Stirling order already planned for Friday, so another brush isn’t in the budget right now. But I really would like to hear some field reports about the new ones because I do love brushes, and could easily start longing for one after the holiday dust settles.

16. john zeiger

Latherin' thanks for getting back to me. You didn't kill my desire for a new brush but your post really made me stop and think - do I really need one? The answer to that is a definite no. I must say that I do like the idea of a nice very soft badger - like the ones that I see described as being like "a pillow on your face" But I don't want a lather hog either. Maybe you can't get a "pillow" without it being a lather hog. Anyway, your post helped me to see that maybe I'm best off just enjoying the many brushes that I have and stop continuing to look for something that MIGHT be only slightly better. It is so easy to get carried away with this hobby which is why I put myself a No Buy in 2019 ( with mostly good success :)). Your post helped me to stay strong (though I might buy a little something that I don't need on Black Friday). Thanks again.

17. Paul Turner

John, good luck in finishing off your NB 19.

ezlovan, Frijolero, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  18. john zeiger

Thank you Paul. I'm trying but it is difficult.

ezlovan, Frijolero, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  19. Paul Turner

I had THOUGHT I'd "try again", but I think the year following my Bill Neumann purchase will be THE year. But then you have to factor in the Stoylin Tony persuasion...hmmmm

20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

November 25th
    Razor: VDH TTO
    Blade: VDH Ice Tempered (1)
    Brush: SOC boar
    Pre-shave: Stirling Mentholated
    Soap: Stirling Satsuma Glacial
    Stirling mentholated witch hazel
    Stirling mentholated balm
    AS: Stirling Satsuma w/menthol

No Repeat November/Menthol Monday