The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

I apologize for being late on this but my thoughts and prayers are also for the Lovan family.

2. john zeiger

I'm down to about 1 shave left on my Executive Man tub. I really like EM but am thinking about another scent to replace it for now. I considering either Dunshire (I really like Aqua Di Gio - have used the cologne in the past) or Sandpiper (seems to get a lot of love in this thread). And it will be one or the other but not both as I'm trying to keep my inventory under control. Anybody have any thoughts on Dunshire? I've got a sample of Sandpiper and have read many of the raves in this thread so I feel I've got a good handle on that. But, don't recall reading much about Dunshire. Any thoughts on Dunshire would be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  3. jayjacque

jayjacque Well-Known Member

How's the scent strength on Satuma aftershave, Edison and Hal? Is it at least medium or stronger? I've already got a bunch of orange stuff, but if the raves are what everybody seems to say along with strong scent and longevity, don't think I can resist ;)

4. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I enjoy both Sandpiper and Dunshire more than EM. If it had to be one for me, Sandpiper.

Get a sample of Dunshire SS or AS and put it to the test.

5. Edison Carter

It is potent. Even more than lemon IMO.

6. jayjacque

Haven't tried Dunshire but I have a dupe of the Frenchy or Italian stuff it's supposed to copy Acqua De Gio I think. That one's my least favorite cologne assigned to bathroom deodorizer duties. I've got the Sandpiper in soap and EDT. It checks every box. LOVE it. That would be my vote as well.

7. falconhal

falconhal Active Member

Dunshire was one of samples I was not impressed with. I own a bottle of Aqua di gio and its close, but the scent strength of the soap was very mild. May be different if you add the aftershave.

8. jayjacque

Thanks for the quick reply Edison. You know I look up to you as some kind of know-your-scents god :D

9. falconhal

falconhal Active Member

I think the aftershave is one of the longer lasting ones. I'm not sure about soap strength.

10. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Sold! :D

11. timabababaluka

I got a sample balm of Dunshire in an order once--it was nice, but not nice enough to get me to purchase the soap. Sandpiper on the other hand...

Perhaps someone else can chime in--I have a cedar bias that steers me towards Sandpiper ;)

12. john zeiger

Great idea Edison Carter!!

13. john zeiger

I just ordered the aftershave samples along with a couple others. That should give me a great idea. Thank you for the suggestion Edison Carte.

14. falconhal

falconhal Active Member

Hell i just got a 4pk of aftershave samples myself. I had to see what all of the Island Man hype was about. It definitely delivers. Also ordered Satsuma, Arkadia, and Glastonbury. All 4 of these are winners as far as aftershaves go. Also scooped up a Ben Franklin post shave balm on sale. I was pleasantly surprised with that scent as well.

15. Edison Carter

Thanks anyhow but nope.
    Still have to put my pants on one leg at a time.
    :cool:

16. timabababaluka

But when he's done, those pants thank him. ;):happy102:

17. jayjacque

Talk to me about weak scented soaps. I had a carry over Barbershop soap (actually cream) from WSP that I swear I can't get any smell out of the dern thing, whether from the tin or lathering up. But the buyers over there rave about it. In contrast I also have a carry over Tobacco cream from there that is medium strong and heavenly. So finally getting around to trying out Stirling's tobacco version, Stirling Gentleman, was expecting something pretty strong as well. But have used my sample 3 times now and still barely a scent. It's slightly better than the non-existent scented WSP Barbershop, but nowhere near the strength of WSP Tobacco. Don't mean to stir stuff up, but it surprised me, since tobacco (along with Aventus) are pretty much my fav scents. Is it me, or anybody else get that from Stirling Gentleman. Also want to try Executive Man SS. How strong scented is that?

18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I get a nice Tobacco&Vanilla scent from Gentleman. That's what it was meant for. Xecutive Man has a scent, but I couldn't quite find it satisfying. I mean, it's OK, but I wouldn't call it a favorite.

19. falconhal

falconhal Active Member

Try haverford. It's like a tobacco vanilla smack to the chops. Long lasting too.

20. jayjacque

Thanks Hal, I'll do that.