The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Good commentary. Actually, I WILL be ordering a full tub of Stoylin unscented to work with my Bill Neumanns(that I'll order in the fall). I don't want anything to negate the Neumann scents. And I have other scented soaps so there won't be a boredom problem.

2. Paul Turner

Well Mr. Cawtuh, I guess I just gave away my "Most Expensive Order I Have Made Since Becoming A Member(MEOIHMSBAM). 2 Bill Neumann aftershaves and the Stoylin Unscented soap.

3. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

July 13, 2020

Colonial General V2
    Feather Pro
    Dorian Crafts Galaxy Two Band Finest
    Stirling Soap Co. Margaritas in the Arctic Soap, Witch Hazel & Aloe, and Aftershave
    ADP Ginepro di Sardegna

[​IMG]

4. Paul Turner

The :real" name for the Stoylin dupe appears to get very high marks in Most Attractive Men's Colognes. I'm glad Doc Ezlovan found a way to make a simple aftershave out of it(course he's done that to MANY colognes).

5. Paul Turner

Next Stoylin soap(and A.S.)out for me-Blood on Steel. It deserves another "Summer Trial", especially as it's been warmer since last used and it passed onto the "next phase".

6. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

July 15th
    Razor: H&S Co NO75 LE
    Blade: Gillette Platinum (1)
    Brush: WWB Limedrop
    Pre-shave: PAA Rabid Banana Cube
    Soap: Stirling Lime
    PAA Galactic witch hazel
    Stirling Glacial balm
    AS: Stirling Lime

Good morning!

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Well-Known Member

I always enjoy your photos. Nice work once again!

8. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you!

9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTD July 15
    [​IMG]

Blackland Brass Blackbird
    Gillette Super Thin (3)
    30DCLE (26mm, Frigate Class)
    Stirling Iced Pineapple soap and as

Yes I'm alive! And yes, Iced Pineapple still rocks!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

10. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

:eatdrink047:

11. Paul Turner

Welcome back Andrew :) (Your dreams were your...tick-et ouuuut-from the Welcome Back Kotter theme). Good to see you :)

12. Linuxguile

Thanks Paul!

13. gcconspiracy

Well, I just finished reading this thread from the very beginning... It took a bit, but as a new Stirling fan I figure it was worth the effort!

Having said that, I’m considering placing a second order for samples, and I’ve got some questions about specific scents:

Eucalyptus Mint: are there any fans of this scent out there? I didn’t see much about it at all as I read through the thread, but I’m very curious. Is it reminiscent of Proraso Green? Does it have a slight cooling effect from the mint?

Hipster: I’ve read that this is a very grapefruit forward scent, but can you smell the other notes? Can you smell the coffee? If not, does Stirling have any other coffee scents? I couldn’t find anything other than the discontinued “Iced Coffee”. I would LOVE a soap that simply smelled like fresh ground coffee, or coffee brewing (no sugar, no vanilla, just coffee the way God intended!).

Varen: I’m not too familiar with fern scents, but I have DR Harris Arlington (citrus and fern), are these two similar at all? Also, I’ve seen Varen listed as a fougere. I’m not really sure what that means, but I’ve hear Tabac called a fougere and I love Tabac - is Varen similar to Tabac?

Electric Sheep: I’m not crazy about the scent of mosquito candles, but this is supposed to be citronella and lemon, right? Does the lemon do much to soften the blow of straight up bug candle? I think I may have to grab a sample of this just out of morbid curiosity!

Baker Street: can anyone help me understand what juniper smells like? I don’t drink, so I have no idea what gin smells like (seems to be the comparison most sites make when describing juniper). This scent sounds intriguing, but I can’t wrap my head around it - any help?

Tsuka: I’m hesitant to purchase this scent because I would have to order a full tub (no samples available). Again, after reading the description, I still feel like I have no clue what the scent of this would resemble. I searched Hanae Mori, but mostly came up with women’s fragrances. Is this a very feminine fragrance? I know there are some hardcore BoS/Tsuka fans on this thread, hopefully they can help me out here!

Sorry for the long post. Thanks so much for all of your help!

PLAla, ezlovan, jayjacque and 6 others like this.
  14. falconhal

falconhal Active Member

I'm currently working on a sample sized eucalyptus mint. More minty than Proraso green and strong on the eucalyptus as well. Slightly mentholy as well, especially the splash. Baker St is a fantastic scent, very citrusy with some musk. Can't speak on any of the others.

PLAla, ezlovan, gcconspiracy and 4 others like this.
  15. Linuxguile

Let me see if I can share a few more thoughts.

Hipster: now that my tub has aged a bit I do get more of the coffee with the grapefruit being more subdued.

Electric sheep: kinda smells like Arko. Except when Arko smells synthetic Electric sheep smells natural. Nothing like lemon pledge.

Baker Street. Juniper is an evergreen shrub. Chances are you crushed juniper berries as a kid and once you smell smell it your be like oh yeah... That being said to me it smells more cologne like. It's ok there's just a lot of other Stirling offerings I like better.

Tsuka. It's like a fruity floral. More floral then fruity and kinda has a warm vibe to it. To me it's a better cool weather scent.

Edison Carter, PLAla, ezlovan and 7 others like this.
  16. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

July 17th
    Razor: H&S Co NO75 LE
    Blade: Gillette Platinum (3)
    Brush: Simpson CH2 synthetic
    Pre-shave: PAA Rabid Banana Cube
    Soap: Stirling GBC
    PAA Galactic witch hazel
    Stirling Glacial balm
    AS: Stirling GBC

Good morning!

[​IMG]

Edison Carter, PLAla, ezlovan and 9 others like this.
  17. gcconspiracy

Awesome, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear regarding Eucalyptus and Mint! I think I’ll have to pick some of that up. Also, thanks for the thoughts on Baker Street I’ll keep it on the short list.

Lots of good info here. Thanks for your help. Electric Sheep sounds more like what I was hoping it would (natural, rather than synthetic/lemon pledge). Also, glad to hear that Hipster has some coffee present eventually, and Tsuka sounds like something I’d really enjoy. Thanks!

Edison Carter, PLAla, ezlovan and 3 others like this.
  18. gcconspiracy

Well, I went ahead and placed my second order of Stirling samples!

This order included the following:

Bergamot Lavender
    Eucalyptus Mint
    Hipster
    Orange Chill
    Varen
    Baker Street
    Electric Sheep
    Pharoah's Dreamsicle
    Gatlinburg
    Coconut Lime
    Tuscany
    Black Cherry
    Haverford
    Tsuka (3oz tub)

I'm very excited for this order to arrive, and I really don't see myself buying soap from anyone else from here on out if I'm completely honest.

Cheers.

19. Paul Turner

I've increased the # of Frost " Drops" in my warm-ish shave soaps. . Put in about 8 today. They sure do help. I also just pulled out the Sophisticate bath soap yesterday...I use bath soaps at my sink for simple hand-washing. Course these days we need to do a lot of that, thus it's all the more Stoylin scent for my hands. I rather like this Sophisticate.

PLAla, ezlovan, john zeiger and 2 others like this.
  20. Paul Turner

I have to avoid grapefruit-neurologists say it is unhealthy to "consume" for those having had seizures-like me. My medication for it has controlled that problem nicely, though.

PLAla, ezlovan, john zeiger and 2 others like this.