The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Stirling 24mm Fans are up on the site.

[​IMG]

Got mine!

whiteboy_cannon and dustmite like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

They also have the winter seasonals going. Christmas Eve and the Frankincense and Myrrh both look good. I have the British Leather, or else I would look at getting that again.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Wouldn't you know they'd bring that back, just when I got the Russian Leather from the TSD shop. (British Leather).

Norcalnewb likes this.
  4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I thought you might be interested in that.

5. PickledNorthern

Better picture of the new fans.

[​IMG]

Picked up a tub of Ozark Mountain and Gentleman while I was there, and some stuff for the wife and kids for Christmas.

6. Paul Turner

I am indeed.....I'm in good shape for now, but let's see how long Rod has that going.

7. Paul Turner

you went to Stirlingsoaps?>

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  8. PickledNorthern

Yup.

Paul Turner likes this.
  9. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

I grabbed a bunch of the bath soaps they have on sale.

10. PickledNorthern

Do you have a favorite?

In the summer, mine is Rosemary Mint or Piacenza. In the cooler weather I really like Ozark Mountain and Autumn Glory.

11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I'm interested!

12. PickledNorthern

I will put you on the list, and then bring it back up to Rod when the weather warms up again and he starts thinking about menthol. I am sure we can get a batch made.

13. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

I shaved with ozark mountain this morning haha. My favorite is probably Island Man.

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

MITA for me tomorrow! ;)

15. banks741938

banks741938 Well-Known Member

Thinking about adding this to my wish list for Christmas... any reviews on it?

16. PickledNorthern

I think they are just showing up in mailboxes now. Mine is scheduled for delivery on Monday.

Coming from the same knot maker, and based off of my experience with the 26 mm bulb I would say this:

These are an extremely soft tipped badger brush, with moderate at best backbone, because they are not incredibly dense. This is not a criticism, density has its tradeoffs, and I enjoy both. Because of the level of density, and its fan shape, it is going to have a generous splay, giving it a bigger feel than its 24mm.

Mine shed two or three shorter (probably never secured in the first place) hairs in its first lather, but none since.

The handles are molded plastic, but with decent heft to them so they do not feel cheap.

I think they are a great addition to any collection, and if someone is new to badger, or trying to upgrade from a lower end pure, they are the absolute best value on the market right now.

Regardless, they are better performers than their pricetag, considering the competition at that level.

Now. That's enough of my speculating out of my butt, I will definitely post again when I actually have it.

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. Paul Turner

goin mit de Meeter, eh? :)

18. PickledNorthern

I got my Butterscotch fan today, and though I have not shaved with it yet, I am quite pleased so far. First off, if you thought the brush looked orange in the pictures, they don't look orange enough. This brush is ORANGE. And polished. I love it. The handle is heavy. This is no cheapy blow molded throw away. It really feel like you are holding something.

[​IMG]

I gave it a palm lather to air it out. The brush only had a mild funk to it, and was barely noticeable after a lather and a rinse. I lost a few hairs right away; assumably never attached in the first place. Others have reported this, but then said they haven't lost any after that first lather. So I combed out his hair when we were done, and he will be ready for tomorrow.

The brush has a very uniform knot, good enough to be found in a more expensive brush. The tips were soft right out of the gate, and were gelled up when I rinsed it, very similar to my other Stirling brush. It is not an overly dense knot, which is fine, but it doesn't seem floppy at all.

A pic right after combing. It is going to have a very nice bloom.

[​IMG]

I will shave with it tomorrow, and post further impressions. So far, I am quite pleased. At $40 it is IMO, the best bargain in brushes out there right now.

IDuck and Straight razor dandy like this.
  19. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I love Stirling, but I usually stick to their synthetics. Maybe I will have to try this one out.

20. PickledNorthern

The only thing I would add, is that when I take into consideration my other Stirling Finest in bulb, people who likes a scrubby Finest, might not find what they were hoping for. They aren't 3 band soft either, but maybe in the middle. (Admittedly I have only lathered the fan, but looking at how the tips gel up the same as the other, I have a pretty good idea of how soft they are.)

I find them excellent additions to my den because they bring something I didn't have before.

Rod has really scored with these badgers.