The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Look forward to seeing that one.

2. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I looked a few hours ago at this razor. How is it ?

3. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Newly acquired ACE, honed on my new KS-Nat.
    [​IMG]

4. TestDepth

Really enjoy those scales!!! Very cool - congrats.

Karl G, kjbarth, M14Shooter and 2 others like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

6. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

Kanenaga Kamisori

[​IMG]

7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

CD0DECF8-C795-46C1-A0A1-6E97191200AF.jpeg 06242248-A122-4B93-9543-64DD617EE340.jpeg 46D2961A-FD66-4421-8774-665545F08EFC.jpeg

Three down, one to go. The Le Grelot 14 arrived a couple of days ago, it will need new scales but the steel is in fine shape and it’s noticeably more hollow than a Filly 14. Should be good when it’s in new shoes.

Next up, a pair of ivories, a 6/8 Joseph Rodgers that’s mostly just in need of a cleaning. It has some very light pitting which should clean up and it’s also fairly hollow, and doesn’t have much wear. The Burgess was part of a 7-day set, and this razor is worn to the stabilizer and has deeper pitting on it, so the ivory scales will likely be used for a future project with a nicer razor. These were offered as a lot, and I submitted a low but not lowball offer and it was accepted, so I came out well with these.

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

"The Artist"
    Levering Razor Co., NY
    Hamburg Ground. Germany.
    1900-1930

Still very very sharp, just not close to shave ready. Very little wear, and should only require a little work, to bring it back to life, and look new.

PB071212.JPG

Steve56, kjbarth, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  9. TestDepth

Cool blade Scott... love when the coffin box comes with it.

10. TestDepth

:happy036:
    Did not see this opportunity as a possibility... but I guess sometimes things align.
    862EC856-8CD3-4740-83F6-0878A5E8795B.jpeg
    If I remember correctly, the “USA” stamp was an earlier stamping (pre 2011?) for a Tim Zowada... YES!!!!
    8F8DE512-4BD7-49E0-9BC9-BDC1CFB3062B.jpeg
    I assume most are aware, but this is Damascus of his own making, and his attention to detail in knives since 1983 has been applied to razors since the mid 2000’s.

One other bidder identified this or I would be telling you about a $50 Zowada purchase... that didn’t happen - still a great deal IMO... but I bought it, so of course I thought I did well :).

Interesting detail: Tim talks about finishing by adding an additional layer of tape to create a double bevel. I think you can see it in this pic.
    447B103E-DBB4-49C1-8B6F-B91CBA754006.jpeg
    I am pretty stoked for this opportunity and very cool to be the new caretaker of this piece of functional art.
    Happy hunting,
    Tom

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    AGHisBBS, kjbarth, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  11. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

That is a nice razor. When the blade is etched to show the pattern in the pattern welded steel, the edge is covered to protect it from the etching chemical. This could also explain why it looks like a such a dramatic double bevel. You are correct and he has talked about adding a second layer of tape on his final few laps on the finish hone to produce a micro bevel.

AGHisBBS, kjbarth, M14Shooter and 4 others like this.
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Steal of the century. A Zowada for $50.

Steve56, kjbarth, M14Shooter and 3 others like this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:happy088: Congratulations! I’m happy for you.

14. TestDepth

Thanks Guys - I appreciate it. Now my wife on the other hand... not so much.

15. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

Wow, what a great find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M14Shooter and TestDepth like this.
  16. TestDepth

:thanks:

Steve56, Billyfergie, kjbarth and 2 others like this.
  17. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

That is an awesome find Tom ! This no doubt will inspire my next acquisition!

kjbarth, Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  18. TestDepth

Always look forward to additions to your den!!! And thank you.

kjbarth, Billyfergie and M14Shooter like this.
  19. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

That razor could not have found a better home, I really like the design in the damascus steel.

20. TestDepth

Some fun ones ended up in the mailbox...
    First up is a PALMAX 1026, 7/8” Swedish Steel razor.
    0698E054-B4CA-4E4B-955C-166BD98DF813.jpeg
    Couldn’t find much other than a PALMAX penknife, placing the company out of Solingen, but I think there may be an interesting connection... but this is just me speculating. :)

Notice the Palm and Pyramid design on the blade face... very similar to the Palmera trademarks.
    6B980DB6-9F65-4457-94B0-F38701DB4F58.jpeg
    I have a “Palma” from Ferd. Herberz, out of Solingen, before that trademark changed hands to the more well known Juan Vollmer Palmera brand out of Spain.
    Here is a pic of that mark:
    B2C99CEE-D92D-48E4-8AA1-4D72123E19AD.jpeg
    Relation? Maybe or maybe not, but felt obligated ;) to add the blade to the quiver.
    Happy hunting.
    Tom

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019