The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

New problem. This flat file (8 drawers, each ~ 25”W x 19”D) will hold too many razors. I am already backlogged on honing/restoration.

840C7526-AADD-4A24-A18F-FB220FFA84BC.jpeg

Keithmax, Karl G, RezDog and 5 others like this.
  2. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Back to the well... Another Portland Razor Company carbon steel SR from the same seller as my Sprite. Custom 7/8 version of the Gustave. Hefty, very hefty.

6AF9C515-CEE3-48BE-A113-3EC744B2730C.jpeg
    The felt sleeve is a nice touch, and almost as hefty as the razor. Ultra protective.

Keithmax, Karl G, DaltonGang and 4 others like this.
  3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

You've got good problems.

TestDepth and kjbarth like this.
  4. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

And those problems are all your fault, at least the SRs. :)

I should have pointed out your culpability to my better half. I’m sure that would have helped yesterday evening when I was explaining my need for a hulking item of vintage furniture. It was getting a little cool, even for December, for a moment or two. :char039:

Keithmax, Karl G, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Not only am I culpable, I also get to share your enjoyment in learning new skills. Now it's time to learn to restore 80 year old fountain pens.
    Esterbrook Collection.jpg

6. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

E6ED6DB5-02BB-4E0B-A20E-0FCFFACE713E.jpeg E9FB3F9D-1489-41A8-B2C3-E7C1EDE5D60F.jpeg 984AC24B-05D1-46CE-B446-A24ADCC986EE.jpeg

These on the way from France, seller’s images. The case is a strong draw for me, I love the old razor cases. If only they were matched....

7. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

kjbarth and Steve56 like this.
  8. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

I’m still doing penance for all the Parker cartridge fountain pens I destroyed between 3rd grade and the arrival of the Bic.

Keithmax and kjbarth like this.
  9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Well the Souveran doesn’t match the box branding and the other one does, and is just a prettier razor I think. I am interested how the Souveran cleans up though.

Tanuki and kjbarth like this.
  10. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

They match. Come on the faux tortoise handles. They look nice. Can't wait to see the one with spine work cleaned up.

11. James Brenner

James Brenner New Member

I am trying to do some research on two razors a 96-year old friend of mine acquired about 60 years ago from an antique dealer in Ohio. They supposedly belonged to Samuel Henley Phillips, a captain in the Revolutionary War. I'm a bit suspicious because the only SHP I could find would have been too young to have been an officer in the Rev War; W1812, maybe. Anyway, I thought I'd try going about this a different way and research the razors. From what I am able to find, my hunch is they're about 1810-ish. One is marked "Rodgers Refined Steel" and the other is "Clark & Hall Warranted". The box they came seems to be leather-covered paste board with some line decorations and a * type mark. I am (I hope) attaching some pictures. If anyone can give me some insight into these razors, I certainly would appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Attached Files:

Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  12. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Beautiful razors and welcome. The Clark & Hall looks to be turn of the century as you assumed:
    CLARK & HALL
    Sheffield
    1797-1823 ("Old Sheffield Razors" by Lummus. Antiques, December 1922 p.261-267)

Edison Carter and kjbarth like this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Oldies. 200 or so, years old.

kjbarth likes this.
  14. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Those are awesome! I love the curvy-ness of the lower one, the Clark & Hall, I believe.

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

kjbarth likes this.
  15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I’m jealous, the scales on the Bismarck look so much better than the scales on mine. Congratulations on your new additions to your den.

Karl G and kjbarth like this.
  16. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

031DB1C0-D52A-40F8-AC99-F716D8E579BE.jpeg Picked up a nice German 7/8” , hollow, heavy shaver. The tang and spine are blued, the lettering is gold. Very fine jimping on the bottom of the tang. Excellent shape, no hone wear, scorches or other damage. The original box is even like new.
    But.... Della Bella, I cannot find any info on that name. Any of you old sages have anything??

09C3360A-CFC2-4817-A569-5269F8667779.jpeg 324A23E7-B396-44E9-89EF-41EE1FD2F640.jpeg

17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

18. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

If that is the one i remember, it had a VERY nice Buy It Now... I stupidly wanted even a better deal and went too low. That is a great purchase on a beauty of a razor Keith!
    Tom

Edison Carter, kjbarth and Keithmax like this.
  19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Thanks Tom. I haven’t tossed it on the scale yet, but it’s definitely a heavy weight. Definitely obscure. Scales are the same style as my TI.

20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Keith, I have never heard of that name before but it looks like you make a nice addition to the den.