The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Thank you Steve.
    I would love to see it.

Karl G, GAW9576 and BearCWY like this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

He ya go Tom. This razor also has wonky bevels on the nose, if you look at it from the end while closing the razor, you’d bet your next paycheck that the blade is going in at an angle and will hit the scales. But not so, it’s perfectly centered!

651C9644-10C0-4B67-A399-5F9D90D8F2DF.jpeg 8C2F0826-3D40-4190-AAD8-8E8CBA83CD86.jpeg

Keithmax, gssixgun, Suhrim21 and 8 others like this.
  3. TestDepth

It is a weird optic for sure. Makes for a unique razor in the collection.

BearCWY, esvh, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

A couple of new Swedes coming in today, a 4/8 Klas Tornblöm in aluminum scales, and a CVH MK 32 in unhoned condotion. Neither have any hone wear to mention and the MK 32 seemed NOS.

The MK 32 is in plastic scales, oddly with a crack on each side at the pivot. No worries, I have ivory off another worn 32 that will fit it. This razor showed no hone wear and is superbly ground. The bevel set sans tape on a Shapton Glass 6k HC - almost unheard of from a factory razor, yet it did. I finished on a favorite jnat and off we go. New razor, 6k, jnat, done! HHT was impeccable. You still can’t tell that it’s been on a hone.

I Sharpied the Tornblöm and ran it across a hone, it will need a little work for the stone to reach the apex, but not much. I am a fan of Tornblöm razors. This one is a little too small for me, but there are uses for 4/8 (including shaving with them), so I am not complaining. I actually bought it in part for the E. A. Berg box that it was in, but am very pleased with the razor! Those of you that shop the market know that if you try to go out an buy a good example of a particular razor at a particular time, you will likely fail. But buy one for the box and the razor is first class, lol.

EE111F01-07C2-41F1-8CF9-3080D9EB3497.jpeg 22259679-F687-4685-AA1A-4B21C736B46A.jpeg

Keithmax, BearCWY, GAW9576 and 6 others like this.
  5. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

Well just got a new to me razor today in the mail. It's w Weston Japanese razor made of Tamahagane steel. My first Japanese razor and I know very little about it. I bought it with the advice and and guidance of @gssixgun, our resident hone master. He told me it should be good steel and a good razor, so I took a gamble.
    The first two pictures I took here today the last 3 were from the listing.

DSCN1109.JPG DSCN1110.JPG Weston5.jpg Weston4.jpg Weston3.jpg

I know nothing about this brand of razor, any and all info would be appreciated!

Keithmax, esvh, RezDog and 7 others like this.
  6. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

The logo on the scales looks like the mansalu logo. Nice find, though you are stepping into a hole that will chew you up and spit you out broke. Japanese blades are so good it makes it hard to find any other razor that is good afterwards.

Keithmax, Karl G, esvh and 3 others like this.
  7. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

Oh No! What have I got myself into now!

Karl G, esvh and GAW9576 like this.
  8. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

On one hand I love japanese razor . On the other hand I hate it because the nice ones are expensive as hell.

Keithmax, Karl G, esvh and 2 others like this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Gustav Knauth
    New York
    13/16th
    Extra Hollow Ground

This one needs a little sanding and buffing. But, everything lines up, and it has very good bones. I love the size, and the entire shape of this. The grind is so thin, a fingernail along the edge will be able to warp it, as it is run along the edge lightly(no permanent warping). Very very thin grind.
    I have never heard of this maker before now. From what I could find out, he immigrated to New York, started to apply his trade(Razor Making), in 1900-1911, where upon, he died. He was also a famous knife maker, and repair expert, for knives. I could find almost no examples of his razors.

P5041348.JPG

P5041349.JPG

P5041350.JPG

RezDog, Steve56, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  10. DaltonGang

Dubl Duck "Goldedge"
    Pearlduck
    Solingen Germany
    11/16++inch

I was very very lucky getting this one. It came with a nicely tarnished Torrey razor, in the set. It wasn't titled correctly, on the auction, and the photos were fuzzy. The set cost $40, so, this little Ducky only set me back $20. When I opened the package today, I thought, this thing was "JUNK". The blade was brown, and heavily tarnished. The scales were so brown, and nasty looking, you could barely read the Goldedge inlay. My heart sank. But, I polished, polished and polished some more, with several compounds, and a bench wheel.

P5041346.JPG

P5041347.JPG

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    speedster, Steve56, RezDog and 6 others like this.
  11. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Two excellent finds - congrats Scott! :happy036:

12. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I’ve been leaning into wider blades lately and was able to pick up this 8/8 Rigarazor this morning. I’ve been wanting a full 8/8 for some time and everyone with a Rigarazor seems to be very happy with them. Hoping to have it in hand by the end of the month. :happy088:

upload_2020-5-5_10-30-14.jpeg

13. DaltonGang

I've been eying those Rigarazors too. Nice one.

esvh, Edison Carter, BearCWY and 3 others like this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Congratulations, they are tough to find these days. I hope you enjoy it.

esvh, Edison Carter, BearCWY and 3 others like this.
  15. TestDepth

I couldn’t pass up a chance to be a “World Master”!!! :)
    13/16 Otto Busch World Master 165
    Coffin is excellent, came with a nice vintage brush and strop.
    1366E6F6-9000-4167-86BB-25673412541D.jpeg
    And I really do dig the guy riding a razor... became a must have.
    DE5A050D-FB0B-4E63-9D97-A329ED07AB04.jpeg
    All pics after a quick clean, preserving the design. Good enough for me.
    Happy hunting,
    Tom

Keithmax, esvh, RezDog and 8 others like this.
  16. TestDepth

Always on the lookout for unique and different... a Frank Warren razor out of Baker City, Oregon. I don’t see too many vintage Pacific NW blades, and being up here, thought it was worth adding to the quiver.
    68541B38-EC78-48BF-AED6-5E18E3BDE10F.jpeg

The shape caught my eye and it seems he was listed as a cutler in Baker City from 1917 until he passed in 1933.
    1123F9EB-5BAF-4E60-A467-70984A04CFC5.jpeg

Blades in great shape with that dark patina that I have no intention of messing with.
    Happy hunting,
    Tom

Keithmax, esvh, RezDog and 8 others like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

cool razors Tom..

18. TestDepth

Thanks Gary. Really interested to see what that Warren is like.

esvh, BearCWY, GAW9576 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

This nice ivory Wosty pair are on the way. Seller said 3/4” wide, but ai’m guessing that they are 11/16 - wide razors in a vertical dresser box are less common, but maybe I’ll luck into 6/8. Seller images that I have adjusted the horrible color cast.

A9948FC8-CABD-4280-A91F-EFC839616A61.jpeg D13199F3-755E-4F62-8604-A8DB9F138426.jpeg 0BEC6A20-F004-40F5-8079-31581B214FDC.jpeg

lloydrm, Karl G, RezDog and 10 others like this.
  20. speedster

speedster Well-Known Member

Love the spine work, Steve, and the fact they are shoulderless. Besides the fact they are immaculate. Damn cool box to boot.

You’re sure to enjoy those bad boys! :)

Karl G, GAW9576, BearCWY and 3 others like this.