The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Waiting on this NOS Mint..Dubi Duck Solingen Wonderedge 5/8th Arriving from the Good Auld USA..Thanks to My Friend @Karl G ..Looking Forward to Getting this Razor on the Hones..I have Two Goldedge Models..This One has Some Fancy Spine Engraving Work..Boxed an All..A Treasure to Behold & Aint Got it the Hand Yet..:D

:happy093:

Billy..:chores016:

esvh, Keithmax, Tedolph and 9 others like this.
  2. Claude Stewart

Claude Stewart Well-Known Member

I like my Wonderedge. Hope it does a great job for you.

esvh and Karl G like this.
  3. Claude Stewart

Claude Stewart Well-Known Member

Okay, I finally did it. I found one in France and got it. Vive la France!

6/8 - L'ETINCELANT 69 THIERS ISSARD

Have to admit, I'm a little nervous to have such a well regarded named razor. Will definitely be taking my time cleaning and honing her.

thiers issard.jpg

thiers issard1.jpg

thiers issard2.jpg

esvh, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 7 others like this.
  4. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Another question regarding a razor that I am looking at; Do anyone have a Kayser Ellison & Co? Thoughts would be appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!
    Regards
    Hans
    [​IMG]

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

5. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Hans, I think you have a good pedigree there. I have this Lauterjung & Sohn Puma 6, and its made from “Kayser Ellison & Co’s Best Sheffield Silver Steel.” I do like my Pumas. :)
    AFB68FC1-4251-42A0-AFB4-23879C2079D3.jpeg

Tom

esvh, Billyfergie, Steve56 and 3 others like this.
  6. TestDepth

These two little beauties showed up in the past few days.

I got suckered in for the blade shape, the scales, and the... unknown. :)
    F0F642B7-4427-4BF0-B567-FDDADB2FF458.jpeg On the right I have a Schneider, and below it I have Geneve. That should be the French spelling for Geneva, so Swiss or French blade. But love the shape and the scales.
    270AABCF-4996-4DC4-BAB7-09778320BB3A.jpeg
    Now the one on the left was a whopping $11, and I was intrigued...
    05CC5C0C-54B1-49AE-9FC2-E45A30331E6A.jpeg
    To me, this is a French blade. The look, the feel, and the scales... all say old French blade. @Steve56 , I need your help!!! :)
    E6D7742E-6E72-40CE-9D2E-0B010A6A9379.jpeg
    I see “D. FRIE...,” then maybe an RK towards the scales. To the left of the mark a V and I think an H to the right. No clue what that mark is. :signs002:

Just arrived today, but can’t say what I see rings any bells.

But man do I love these scales... the color and depth is really something.
    D2320326-25C6-44B4-B592-C6ED81FFFED0.jpeg
    Pics never do it justice.
    Happy hunting. Tom

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    esvh, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 5 others like this.
  7. lottenhem

Thanks, than I will make a bid on this razor.

esvh, TestDepth and Karl G like this.
  8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Hans, Kayser Ellison made steel, one of the few dedicated steels for straight razors. It has a very good reputation for being fine grained. I do not have a KE razor myself, but have been curious about the steel.

Tom, I doubt that it’s French, ‘Frie.....’ is not French and they would have used ‘garantie’ in place of ‘warranted’. The maker’s symbol looks French, but I can’t find it on my list of Thiers maker’s marks, though the list is incomplete, and there is no ‘35’ Thiers makers number. The Thiers razors for a long time had numbers assigned to the maker’s with 69 being the number for Thiers-Issard for example. I also checked the makers without a Thiers number and did not find the mark. Possibly French made for an English shop and made after they stopped using the maker’s numbers? What’s the grind like?

The Unilectica site is down at the moment so * can’t check.

Apologies for not being much help.

esvh, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  9. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

My (very limited) two cents: Could “Frie...” be the beginning of the abbreviation Fried or the start of Friedrich? :signs002:

10. lottenhem

I bought it! 60$ freight included, will be back with a review.

esvh, Keithmax, Steve56 and 2 others like this.
  11. TestDepth

Congrats Hans! I hope you enjoy it. :eatdrink047:

Thanks for taking the time for that breakdown Steve. I do think I have seen that mark before... just need to shake out the cobwebs.

The grind is decently heavy... half hollow.

esvh, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 4 others like this.
  12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

YW Tom, Unilectica is back up but nothing there either.

13. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

These in today, I just finished some light cleanup of the box and one of the three orihi. This is a Japanese Army kit which was according to the seller, retrieved from the battle of Peleliu in the Pacific theater by his grandfather who was a marine. He couldn’t tell me much more, he said that his grandfather wouldn’t talk about the battle.

It’s nice kit, the box is lacquered and the stone seems fine and hard, and on the other side of the stone is a strop. It’s missing the tomo but I think that I can handle a suitable replacement. One razor is worn and chipped, maybe the previous owner’s favorite? I’ll leave this one as found. The other two can be honed without much issue and I’ll probably tape them with 1 mil Kapton ro preserve the appearance and see what they shave like. These are not high end razors from the looks of them, and you would probably not expect them to be. Could they be tamahagane? Maybe, I do not know how to tell.

5792DD0A-CDDF-4640-BC63-6EE1652B25F0.jpeg 98B5C23E-AE89-49F0-9CCB-3871137F12E4.jpeg 90B8FEA5-6962-4D75-9733-283D1C0D3077.jpeg D1E606BA-DED3-439F-B7A0-BBF9FF1D0D40.jpeg C1DA4E68-BBBB-484B-9B0F-148CEFD00452.jpeg

14. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks to My Friend @Karl G for Sniping these for Me Across the Pond..I have these Razors Comin in from the Almighty USA..Both Razors are NOS Factory Fresh..A Stainless Herder Solingen 15/16th with Bone Scales & Otto Deutsch's Hans Solingen German Emerald Green Translucent Scales.Wunderbar..:D

These are Ubermensch Cracker Jacks for a Crackpot Jock..:happy102:

:happy093:

Billy..:chores016:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  15. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I’m wondering how you refresh or strop those razors with that angle in the blade? :signs002:

esvh, Keithmax, Edison Carter and 3 others like this.
  16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

@Karl G - they strop just like any razor, only the spine and edge touch.

17. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Ah! I guess that makes for an automatic adjustment of the asymmetrical edge. Very nice! :happy088:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    esvh, Edison Carter and Steve56 like this.
  18. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Having had the Otto Deutsch in hand I can say it is a rare beauty and an absolute steal :eatdrink047:

19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Very very nice. Those Otto Deutsch Hans razors are one of the nicest lookers made.
    Well done, @Billyfergie , and @Karl G .

esvh, Steve56 and Billyfergie like this.
  20. lottenhem

The latest acquisitions,
    EDV Neiström No.62, my second No.62, now one with black scales,35$.

Horseshoe, or Stålvaru AB No.45. Quite rare. The Company was only in production between 1946-1954, 15$.

Some honing and polish before test shave.
    [​IMG]