The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Cheers Scott..:git:

Billy..:chores016:

2. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Waiting on this Factory Fresh Mint..NOS USSR Straight Razor 1969 Half Hollow Ground 5/8th..Got it for a Song..I Love these Commie Razors..Lovely Smiling Blades..:D

Also Waiting on this NOS Mint Henckels Friodur 472 Round Point Full Hollow 6/8th with an Art Deco Spine..These 472 Models are Not Seen Very Often Compared to the Art Deco 472 Model Square Points..Especially in this Kinda Nick..Got this for a VERY Good Price as Well from A Trusted Seller Friend Based in Sweden..:p

Ya Know Me Boys..Been Off on an SR Hunting Spree..Lazy Mans Years Enjoying the Fruits of His Labor..As Marx Said..On the Communist Banner.. :love029:

Billy.:kngt:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    esvh, lottenhem, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

@Billyfergie , you are amassing quite the collection. Nice additions. :happy088:

esvh, TestDepth, Steve56 and 2 others like this.
  4. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Thanks Scott..I have a Collection to Behold..:happy088:

esvh, lottenhem, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

He shoots, he scores! Beautiful razor.

esvh, TestDepth, Steve56 and 2 others like this.
  6. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Cheers..Laddie..:eatdrink047:

esvh, Steve56, Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

This just in, will make the pair with my user blue Sub Cero.

7EC6D2F0-2ACD-4EEE-BD95-02D7E2D7FFCB.jpeg

esvh, lottenhem, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  8. DaltonGang

:smiley respect:Wow, that looks like it just rolled out of the factory. Well done. :smiley respect:

esvh, TestDepth, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  9. Billyfergie

[​IMG]

esvh, TestDepth, Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you Scott and Billy,

I’m the third owner, the first owner bought it NOS but views razors as tools and is heavy on the honing and did not use tape, so it has a tiny bit of spine wear on it that could have been easily avoided. The second owner, a good friend, is very light handed and a pro with razors. I’m glad that it’s in a place where it will be treated kindly now.

But I did put my own edge on it.

0776AAD6-1052-4B55-A4C1-7C891FD16F3D.jpeg

esvh, Keithmax, Edison Carter and 4 others like this.
  11. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    My Factory Fresh NOS USSR Straight Razor 1969 Half Hollow Ground 5/8th Arrived Today..The Razor & Box Looks as if they were Made Just this Morning..Its Popping Arm Hairs the Entire Length of the Blade from the Factory..I Am Delighted..Looking Forward to Getting this Commie Dark Vader Bad Boy on the Hones.. :D

esvh, Keithmax, Edison Carter and 4 others like this.
  12. DJ Stone

DJ Stone Guest

Hello,
    I’m new to the site, Houston. I’ve been using straight razors & shavettes for quite a few years. This has GOTTA BE!!, one of the most beautiful razors I’ve ever seen.

I get mine off of eBay, relatively inexpensive and restore them myself. Some I’ve trashed, some have been great shavers, I love the nostalgia and craftsmanship of Victorian razors.

Not to be disrespectful but where do y’all find vintage razors.

esvh, DaltonGang, Steve56 and 4 others like this.
  13. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

You are the absolute King of Doubles.
    Nice grab.

esvh, Steve56, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  14. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    I Get Almost ALL My Vintage Razors from Ebay..Its Awash with Em..It Just Takes a Particular Set of Skills to Find Em..:rofl:

esvh, Edison Carter, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  15. Redfish Rick

Redfish Rick Active Member

Are wade and butchers worthy of the hype? They seem to be very desirable, but I want to know if they’re better than other Sheffield razors.

16. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I have two that are superb. However, there are a lot of wonderful Sheffields, Solingens, Japanese, Swedish, Russian, French, Spanish, American, and artisan razors. So, no need to focus on just W&B, If a nice one at a reasonable price comes up, by all means, grab it. In the meantime, you can find a lot of other sweet razors that can compete with them. Including other Sheffields. :happy088:

esvh, Billyfergie, Steve56 and 5 others like this.
  17. Redfish Rick

Thanks, I picked up a Sheffield frame back, senator recently. I’m working on honing it. I shave with any old H. Boker

esvh, Karl G, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  18. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Welcome to TSD! Various places, eBay, friends, forum BST. Usually the problem is not so much finding them as it is buying them before someone else does. Nice Filarmonica, C. V. Heljestrand, Sheffields and Solingens will not last a day once listed so you have to check the usual suspect sites often.

esvh, Karl G, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  19. Redfish Rick

Thank you.
    What’s BST?

20. DaltonGang

Welcome to "The Dark Side", of shaving., @Redfish Rick . The guys here are pretty helpful, with about everything straight razor related. A lot of knowledge and experience here, worldwide.
    Being that you are in the Houston area, I'm in the Kingwood area of Houston, about the only place to find Straight Razors is Ebay. I've been to many many Antique stores, and rarely does it warrant the time it takes looking through. Plus, most are over priced, and most junk. The Hipsters and Steampunkers have contributed to this.
    If any questions, do not hesitate to ask. BTW, we like seeing PICS of razors.

esvh, Karl G, Billyfergie and 4 others like this.