The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Thank you Steve.

Karl G likes this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Soon to be back home, a pair of Le Grelot 355 rescale by Alfredo.

05996995-D28B-49C8-8B28-169A56036077.jpeg E4638D6E-BE84-4DF7-A62B-4DD3A785E675.jpeg 024A242D-A5B9-4FEC-BCEC-8F4A610B7464.jpeg

Pedigree, mrchick, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  3. TestDepth

Great scale choice for that pair!
    :eatdrink047:

Steve56 and Karl G like this.
  4. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

TestDepth and Steve56 like this.
  5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you gents!

Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  6. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I got my first straight razor, at last!

IMG_20220819_140334102_HDR~2.jpg

The razor and stop arrived today, so I can try it out tomorrow. Hurry up whiskers... grow whiskers, grow!
    :)
    - Bax

Pedigree, Karl G, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Congrats! If you need an edge, give a shout.

Karl G, DaltonGang and TestDepth like this.
  8. TestDepth

Congratulations! It should be a fun journey.

And Steve’s offer will make no doubt that it is a shave ready edge, if you need it.
    :eatdrink047:
    Tom

Karl G likes this.
  9. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

It is supposed to be shave ready from Dovo. I thought I would strop it and try it. I don't have anything to compare to, except my Focus R-28 shavette, but I reckon if it's not cutting very well, I'll notice (and will probably start whining for honing advice).
    - Bax

Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

They never are, from Dovo. Give it a try, then send it to someone to hone it properly. You will see a difference. And, whatever you do, don't buy a Convex Hone.

11. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

Tried it today. It FELT and SOUNDED like it was shaving fine! But it wasn't. I ended up using my Focus R-28 shavette to finish the shave. I did CUT myself pretty badly with the Dovo straight razor, though; my finger! I was used to choking up on my grip on my shavette to do the left side of my face near my ear, but with this straight razor, IT'S ALL BLADE! I choked up on my grip all right... and put my finger on the blade, OWIE! Finger bled like a stuck pig. So it's plenty sharp to cut my finger, but not sharp enough to cut my whiskers. I bought some of that fiber-optic film to hone it and looked over the threads on the forum to see how to use it. I'll give it a hone then try using it again. I bought a cheap $9 vintage straight razor to practice honing (called a "Salamander").
    ;-)
    - Bax

12. DaltonGang

My recommendation is still to send it to a professional, so that when you decide to do your own honing, you have something to aim for. A well honed razor.can be kept up, with minimal cost and effort. Once honed, it should last a couple hundred shaves, it not more, with just stropping.

Steve56 likes this.
  13. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

:happy102:

Steve56 likes this.
  14. DaltonGang

:D

Steve56 likes this.
  15. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Dark Side - just don’t ask where the cookies are :signs002: (yeah, long ago reference)

Take it slow and let the process unfold at it’s own pace that works for you. And ditto on the advice to get it properly honed :happy088:

Steve56 likes this.
  16. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

(Edited to include the link and tinkered with words.)

I thought I'd just give it a go with the fiber optic lapping film (using the "Slash McCoy" videos on https://www.nakedarmor.com/blogs/news/hone-straight-razor-lapping-film

... but you guys are giving me second thoughts about doing it myself! Where do you send a new straight razor to get it honed by professional (without breaking the bank)? Is there a Shave Den list of recommended HoneMeisters?
    - Bax

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
    Karl G likes this.
  17. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

@Steve56 is more than skilled in honing despite not being a professional - I can’t imagine you’d go wrong taking him up on his offer :happy088: If you want an ongoing resource I have sent probably dozens of blades at this point to Glen Mercurio @gssixgun for honing. You’ll see him recommended frequently, for good reason.

No reason to back off on the lapping films. I have used them to refresh blades as needed. But, getting that bevel set by someone with years and years of experience with thousands of razors is something I rely on Glen for.

DaltonGang and gssixgun like this.
  18. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

I have my eyes on one of these 9A744492-8E93-45EF-8FA5-CCC6502CE233.jpeg

19. DaltonGang

You might want to look at the other ones for sale. Half the price, and just as good of condition.

Mike-R41 and Karl G like this.
  20. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I just picked up a $10 Cook, Everett, and Pennell, "Pearl" 86, made in Germany, probably just before the turn of the (last) century:
    Pearl 86.jpg

Near as I can tell, the company is a drug store on the East coast around 1898-ish. Unfortunately, I found a couple of chips in the blade that may be fixable, or may make it unusable.

Arrow shows the location of the chips on the blade.
    pearl chipspot.jpg

Here's a close-up of the damaged area of the blade. I played with the color, tint, brightness, and contrast , to make the chips more visible:
    Pearl Edge.jpg
    I figure I have 2 options: (1) take away a LOT of blade material along the whole edge and give it a new "set" to make a smooth, straight cutting edge, then hone a new edge on there, or (2) remove the edge from bottom of the blade to just beyond the chips, thus making the cutting edge of the blade effectively about 2/3 of its original length.

I'm a SE noob; not sure what the best plan would be. What would YOU do with it?
    - Bax

Karl G likes this.