The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

I did not take any pictures. I lifted these pictures from google to show. There are similar to old style three hole Gillette blades. The W&B are slightly wider and the outside holes are rectangular, not round. They both are curved and much thicker than standard DE blades.

B93A706D-2D5B-4533-84B6-EDAB4E7BB3AE-24652-000011A1B88736EB.jpeg 3013F7B2-30E9-4F4E-A133-E4DE5FFAC52E-24652-000011A1DB329024.jpeg

2. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Nice steel and nicer rock

Edison Carter and Steve56 like this.
  3. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

Gentlemen of this fine and illustrious conglomeration of razor eficianotos. I know it's been a while since I have posted any new acquisitions on the thread, but there was a good reason for this. I just recieved in the mail today a very special razor that is what I believe to be rare and exquisite example of fine English razor. This razor is approximately 180 years young give or take 10-20 years. We know who the original purchaser of this razor was but nothing after that till modern times. The gentleman I received it from restored it to it's now exquisite condition. It came to me fully restored and shave ready with it's original box. This razor is a Charles Macdaniel Stubtail believed to have been sold around 1830 from the information that was given to me. The pictures I am posting is from the gentleman I acquired it from because I don't have the setup to do this razor justice. So here it is and I am the very proud owner of this Fine example of razor craftsmanship and artistry.
    CMR.jpg CMR2.jpg CMR3.jpg CMR4.jpg CMR5.jpg CMR6.jpg

That is silver rope inlay into the scales of this razor. As good as these pictures are, it still does not due the beauty of this razor justice.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Keithmax, brit, Paul76 and 10 others like this.
  4. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    That is one of the best looking vintage straight razors I have ever seen. Nice find Joe.

5. BearCWY

Thanks @Vlasta, It's a total miracle to me that I was even able to acquire it.

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Wow, Jamie Mahoney did a good job, cleaning it up. Here are some Before Pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keithmax, brit, Paul76 and 6 others like this.
  7. BearCWY

Yep, I have those pictures too and these
    CMR7.jpg CMR8.jpg
    I am very proud and honored to be the care taker of this fine and rare razor

8. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Beautiful- just beautiful! Congratulations on that acquisition.

Edison Carter, Jayaruh and BearCWY like this.
  9. BearCWY

Thank you!

Edison Carter and TestDepth like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is a beauty, Joe.

Edison Carter and BearCWY like this.
  11. BearCWY

Thank you Jim, I'm overjoyed with it!

Edison Carter likes this.
  12. DaltonGang

You forgot one of the best parts: It's Ivory. If I am correct.

13. BearCWY

yep I know it is!;)

14. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I am not a photographer but hopefully this came out well enough. I was generously given this straight by @M14Shooter , a F.W. Engels! It's a beauty that's for sure. I can't take it on it's maiden shave today as a just shaved yesterday but tomorrow will be the big day! My first non round point and non GD66. Lol. I can't wait. And yes, @DaltonGang , I'll remember to submit pictures. :)

[​IMG]

15. DaltonGang

Awesome. F.W.Engels are great shaving razors. They take a wickedly sharp edge. Be mindful of that tip. :happy088::happy088:

Edison Carter and Zykris like this.
  16. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I'm gonna do my best! Now the fun part....waiting till tomorrow. M14 is also sending me a Russian razor along with my fixed Faultless. Gonna be fun!

17. DaltonGang

TruSteel

I liked the look, and the scales are fantastic looking, in person. It hasn't been used too much, but does need to be re-honed.

P9270571.JPG

brit, Paul76, TestDepth and 4 others like this.
  18. DaltonGang

"Ontario"
    Geneva Cutlery Corp.
    Geneva NY.

This one is NOS, and looks as if it has never been used. It is Mint. I couldn't pass on this one, even if it cost $20. I own a couple, made by this company, and they are all great shaving razor.

P9270572.JPG

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Keithmax, brit, Paul76 and 6 others like this.
  19. DaltonGang

Wade & Butcher. "Bow Razor"
    This one was bought in a restoration lot. It will definitely loose some meat in the resto.

P9270579.JPG

Paul76, AGHisBBS, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  20. DaltonGang

G.Baker & Son's

A part of the restoration lot. A little spit and polish, along with some scales, and it should spiffy right up.

P9270577.JPG

Keithmax, brit, Paul76 and 5 others like this.