The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Nice, what are the scales made out of?

2. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

A new dealer at the market showed up today with close to 100 SR and allowed me to go thru first. Majority were “just another razor” but I was able to pick these four. Imperial SR #20507 with a Egyptian style etch, Tree Boker King Cutter, shoulderless W&B. And finally, the first one i found in the wild, a Wacker in a Puma case. Two have the tips scale missing but past the pin and they are tight. They will not take much effort to clean up.

7B7E3527-059B-4204-A5FE-E45EEAF64344.jpeg 27769629-9FAC-4BD8-A441-C9A8EC7E2CB5.jpeg 70BB49CA-C4B7-4C3E-88F7-1B9249F23476.jpeg

brit, oscar11, Chuck Naill and 6 others like this.
  3. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Excellent find, well done !

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Edison Carter and TestDepth like this.
  4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Keithmax likes this.
  5. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Beautiful choice of razors Tim!
    Especially love seeing unique and different designs on those Imperials and that shape of the W&B is :drool:
    Tom

Trigger and Edison Carter like this.
  6. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Thank you gentlemen. I think this etch is called “the great camel”. I always enjoyed the Army & Navy and Worlds Fair etches.

7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Wow! Nice save of a beautiful pair. I’m amazed someone was going to split them.

Trigger, TestDepth and Edison Carter like this.
  8. TestDepth

Thanks Brian. I was surprised they split the auction. Winning the first one did add a little pressure to complete the set. I did get lucky.

9. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Nice finds.

Trigger likes this.
  10. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I need to look away; I could spend a lot of money on that site after an adult beverage or two.

11. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I just received my Friodur today. I wasn't expecting it to be a 7/8 blade. I thought I was getting a 5/8 blade. I am pleasantly surprised. She is a beauty. I am not sure but I believe it is half hollow because it is a heavy razor with a thick spine. Presently, I have 2 5/8 round pts, 2 6/8 Spanish pts, and this 7/8 square point razor which covers the gamut of different widths and styles. To think, I just started straight razor shaving 3 months ago and I already have a nice collection of razors. As promised, here is my new addition to my den.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Keithmax, mrchick, oscar11 and 6 others like this.
  12. TestDepth

That is a nice surprise. Beautiful choice!

Trigger likes this.
  13. Briscoe

That razor will give you years of enjoyment, great find.

DaltonGang, Trigger and Edison Carter like this.
  14. Trigger

Thanks! I won it on an EBay auction for just under 100 dollars. It is a vintage 1950's NOS Friodur 7/8 square point. I was just going through the site and wasn't planning on bidding or buying anything. I saw this and took a chance and the rest is history. I would say it is in near mint condition because it has some black tarnish on the spine near the toe, but I guess I can use Mass to take care of it. I can't complain because Razor Emporium recently had a restored 1970 's 5/8 Friodur for sale at $150 and I saw another 7/8 Friodur on Ebay for $235. Originally, I didn't want to spend the amount for my Friodur and thought that I didn't get a good deal and just paid the market price. Obviously, I know that I lucked out and consider it my best score in my early straight razor journey.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  15. Trigger

Thanks! Won it on an EBay auction.

TestDepth and Briscoe like this.
  16. Briscoe

I remember when I over paid for a razor a long time ago, then I realized it made me happy and after all it's all relative.

17. Trigger

Yes, I agree because you can't put a price on enjoying something you wanted. However, that doesn't mean we forego researching an item to purchase.

Edison Carter likes this.
  18. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Nice razor! 7/8 razors are sweet.

Trigger likes this.
  19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've one of those razors, and they hold a great edge. Ebay is a great place to find NOS razors, at a fraction of the price of modern made razors. Great find on that J.A.Henkels Friodur.

Edison Carter and Trigger like this.
  20. Trigger

Thanks! I am looking forward to February so that I can shave with my brand new Friodur and R Aust razors.

Edison Carter and mrchick like this.