The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I was going to do that eventually. You are right about the razor never being honed. According to the seller, he only used it once, but I take that with a grain of salt. I shave tested it on my sideburn fuzz and there wasn't any problem. Of course, I removed the oil and disinfected the blade with alcohol as a precaution. I will shave with it tomorrow, but I don't forsee any problems with this razor. I always can refresh it with my barber's hone and my Crox treated webbed strop. I couldn't let this razor go by. I keep saying that I have to stop looking at EBay. Lol! Seriously, I have enough straights to keep me satisfied. My next major purchased will probably be a Norton 4/8 combo, but that can wait until late this year or next year. I may go the lapping film method to hone my straights. I'll see when the time approaches that it is necessary to hone my razors. The only razor that I would have professionally honed is my vintage Fiodur 7/8 Spanish point and my 2 6/8 Ralph Aust Spanish points. My 2 Dovo's, my vintage WF Engel and my newly acquired Böker, I will hone myself. I am in a pretty set position because I can get excellent shaves with every one of my razors.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    AGHisBBS, Keithmax, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  2. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Great score. :)

Billyfergie and Trigger like this.
  3. Trigger

Thanks Chuck!

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

"Wuji" .
    7/8th inch
    Made in China

It was a late night, and I was bored. It was only $7.00 and free Shipping. The razor was advertised as 440C Stainless, but most Carbon Steel Razors out of China are advertised as that. Sure enough, it is made of carbon steel. If the steel is the same as the Gold Dollar Razors, then there is hope for it. The Chinese, lately have been using what seems to be, good steel for razors. But, this one is a near wedge razor, that looks like it was honed on the sidewalk. I do have more hope for this experiment, than I did for the Pakistani Razor I ordered out of curiosity.

Meet Wuji.

P2120780.JPG

5. Trigger

I hope you can restore it beyond shave ready.

DaltonGang and Billyfergie like this.
  6. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I Just Done a Pakistan Steel SR for a Friend & it Just Didnt Take a Shaving Edge..Was Great from the 1 K Bevel Hone But Just Could Not Handle the Finer Stones from around 5 K...I Went with it Anyway...Was a Crud Edge...You May have Better Luck with this One..:)

Billy..:chores016:

AGHisBBS, Steve56, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  7. DaltonGang

Time will tell. I have many other razors, more worthy than this one, that need to be honed. It's going to take a lot of boredom to put that one in front of the line.

I hate Paki Razors. Friends don't hone Paki Razors for friends. What did they use for steel, melted sewer pipes???

oscar11, AGHisBBS, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  8. Billyfergie

:happy097:..I Gave Him a Honed Chinese ZY as a Present...Beautiful Shaver...:D

oscar11, AGHisBBS, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  9. DaltonGang

Those ZY razors shave great. :happy088:

oscar11, AGHisBBS, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

What makes you think that they melted the sewer pipes? :rofl:

Cheers, Steve

DaltonGang likes this.
  11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

9C41A888-36E2-48A5-BA78-8CDEA48ADD44.jpeg 098D8759-1AC8-4C16-B26F-D5CE4CA1FD16.jpeg

This one (second image) should arrive tomorrow, Joseph Rodgers in ivory, a nice well-mannered old gent. It’s joining it’s wedgier brother (blue background).

Cheers, Steve

Keithmax, Timwcic, oscar11 and 11 others like this.
  12. DaltonGang

True. Do they even have sewer systems there??

13. DaltonGang

Worcester Razor Co.
    Worcester Mass.
    5/8th inch

This was part of a three razor and one Combo Barbers Hone lot. Cost $8.00 with shipping. This should be an easy restore. Very little rust, just tarnish all over. Loose blade, but the scales are straight, and in pretty good shape.

P2130785.JPG

P2130786.JPG

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Briscoe, Keithmax, Karl G and 9 others like this.
  14. DaltonGang

"Pipe Razor"
    George Wostenholm
    Sheffield England
    11/16+ inch

Part of the 3 razor lot. Cost $8.00. Pretty good shape, for the age, and little hone wear. Nice tight scales, no warping.

P2130783.JPG

P2130784.JPG

Briscoe, Keithmax, Karl G and 11 others like this.
  15. DaltonGang

Wade & Butcher
    Sheffield England
    12/16th+ inch

Part of the three razor lot. Cost $8.00. This one was much better than expected. In fact, I only figured one, maybe 2 razors to be good, because of the poor photos, from the seller. This will require a little more sanding, than the others, but there is plenty to work with. Very little hone wear, on the spine. The scales were nice and tight, no warping.

P2130781.JPG

P2130782.JPG

16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Nice find! It’s a beauty.

17. mrchick

Looks like Pipe Razor was already taken when the Pakistanis started making razors

18. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Waiting on this Very Clean Dubl Duck 5/8th Coming from the Good Auld USA... @Karl G Done the Honors for Me as the Seller Didn't Post to the UK...Got it for a Real Good Price..Thanks to Karl's Sniping Tactics..:happy097:

Keithmax, Karl G, Timwcic and 12 others like this.
  19. mrchick

That’s a beauty.

TestDepth, M14Shooter and Billyfergie like this.
  20. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thamks Brian...Should Sit Nice with My D/Duck 6/8th Round Point..:)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    Keithmax, Karl G, Timwcic and 9 others like this.