The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

There was an 1850 -1880 Wade and Butcher 5/8 frameback with barber's notch and black scales on EBay. It was in excellent condition and shave ready. I did half-heartedly bid on it. I did not get it because I really didn't want it. It sold for $104. I am holding off on any more purchases. Lol!

mrchick, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  2. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

From a estate sale that I am glad to have stopped at, a Vintage C.F. Schwartz High Class Straight Razor. A nice addition to my High Class collection. It has a nicely etched spine to put it over the top. If that was not enough, a 00 Frictionite hone and a horse shell strop came with it

BF62D11B-A183-4883-A3FA-86F22FEA7BB3.jpeg 6878FA2A-6F9F-4B2F-9B6E-3B6848771775.jpeg F32D40E0-D250-4F54-9720-707EA32F196C.jpeg

3. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Great find.That Strop looks great.Bet it will work well after a little hand rubbing.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  4. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Thanks. Other than a good cleaning, I will not take much. No cut, scratches, or wrinkles.

mrchick, Keithmax, M14Shooter and 3 others like this.
  5. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

The newest addition to the den - this ivory clad John & Wm Ragg with it’s own traveling strop case. It just got a little TLC from @gssixgun who replaced the rotting strop, tightened the scales, and put a fresh edge on it. Waiting for the postman... :happy093:

upload_2019-2-15_22-26-53.jpeg

upload_2019-2-15_22-10-40.jpeg

upload_2019-2-15_22-11-20.jpeg

Can’t wait - Karl

Primotenore, mrchick, Briscoe and 9 others like this.
  6. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Just Won the Bid ob this FW. Engels Special Solingen 5/8th Tonight for a Song..It will be A Comin In from the Gid Auld USA...Looks Rather Minted So Am Lookin Forward to Getting Her on the Hones...Always Wanted a FW Engels Job...:D

Billy...:chores016:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Primotenore, mrchick, Briscoe and 6 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

very cool . i am sure there is some forgotten history there..

Karl G, Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

if i were to try a straight a 5/8 round end like this one would be my preference..

Dansco, DaltonGang and Billyfergie like this.
  9. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Billy you are gone to fall in love with F.W.Engels Argo Steel.Holds an edge for a long time .I find Argo steel has similar properties to Wester Bros Manganese steel and Swedish steel .Engels blades are some of my most keen and smoothest blades from Solingen.

mrchick, Karl G, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  10. Billyfergie

Aye I Love Wester Bro Solingen Steel...Lookin Forward to getting it & Putting a Special Edge on it..:happy088:

Billy..

11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I saw that one, and thought twice, because that was the only photo. If the entire razor looks like this, then you stole it. :happy088:

Trigger, mrchick, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  12. Trigger

@Billyfergie, I got one from an EBay auction and it was shave ready. Bought it for $30. 20190204_164928.jpg

13. Billyfergie

Good Catch...Lookin Forward to Getting Mine on the Hones...Looks the Same Model as Mine..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Keithmax, Trigger and Edison Carter like this.
  14. Billyfergie

Yeah..Scott..This was the Only Pic the Seller Had...Got a Good Feeling about it..I Did Steal it an All...:rofl:

15. Trigger

Thanks! The seller dated it anywhere from the 1890's to 1920's. It is a WFE special like yours. It was shave ready, but I stropped it with Crox and then used my barber's hone. It gave me a BBS shave.

16. Billyfergie

Yeah..I Reckon Late 20s or Maybe Early 30s...Probably Early to Mid 30s... @HolyRollah Probably Will Know...:kar:

Keithmax, Edison Carter and Trigger like this.
  17. Trigger

I promised myself that I would not go on Ebay to purchase another vintage razor. Lol! I just bought a vintage shave ready Wostenholm 5/8 half hollow square pt straight for $30 plus shipping costs. I got it from the same seller that sold the WF Engel Special to me last week so I know that it is a good buy. s-l400-6.jpg

18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Engelswerks 1909-43. Odds are the razor date is closer to the early 1930s (prewar) than the early or late manufacture dates.
    FWEs pop up somewhat frequently on ebay—many in deplorable condition and most with at least some hone wear.
    Provided they've not been over-honed or abused, they are excellent razors.
    FWE 3/4" 'Leader' mid-1930s...
    [​IMG]

Primotenore, Trigger, mrchick and 9 others like this.
  19. Billyfergie

Aye I Thought that..193os of the Interwar Years...Cheers for the Heads Up...:happy088:

Trigger, Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  20. Trigger

I was thinking closer to the late 20's early 30's as well.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019