The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am so weak...
    2Z0CJow.jpg 6eVmnHP.jpg

AGHisBBS, oscar11, Karl G and 10 others like this.
  2. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Excellent addition Joseph- looks brand new.

oscar11, Karl G, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Wow, that’s a beauty Joseph!

Cheers, Steve

oscar11, Karl G, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  4. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Another Sheffield blast from the past. Jonathan Hunt Patent, a 6/8 Shoulderless wedge in horn with lead wedge. Hunt was in production from 1829-1837. Steel and scales are in very good shape for is age. Has a strange type of belly grind I never ran across before. It is very slight, can feel it and see the grind line.

2342F43F-18FA-4B29-93DD-E1C9B26AAD5E.jpeg 54F987CF-0476-4771-AEAC-2007307502CE.jpeg C6207FC9-674E-4676-8CC4-206406418522.jpeg

Steve56, AGHisBBS, oscar11 and 8 others like this.
  5. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thanks Guys. Obie is a great Forum member (unfortunately, not here) and he takes great care of his gear.

oscar11, Karl G, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  6. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

oscar11, Karl G, Briscoe and 4 others like this.
  7. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

oscar11, Karl G, M14Shooter and 4 others like this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Karl G, M14Shooter, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  9. Primotenore

Article Team
    iu.jpg

Karl G, Keithmax, brit and 4 others like this.
  10. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thanks Randy.

11. Primotenore

Article Team
    6/8
    Thanks, Keith.

12. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Beautiful Razor...Those Stainless Blades Take a Superb Edge Off an Arkie High Grit Finisher...I Have Mine Out to 20 K..Awesome Shavers..If there is One Razor I Personally Never Liked Off a Synthetic Finisher its a Henckels Friodur...:D

Billy..:chores016:

13. Primotenore

Article Team
    Do you mean a Hard Arkansas Whetstone?

14. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Aye..:shocked003:

Billy..:chores016:

Steve56, Karl G, Primotenore and 6 others like this.
  15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I finished mine on Shapton glass 16k and the edges is sweeeeet. Then again I could never figure out naturals.

16. Primotenore

Article Team
    These were my father's. I haven't tried them yet. Any opinion or resources for me to read/see?
    IMG_9157.jpeg
    IMG_9158.jpeg IMG_9159.jpeg IMG_9160.jpeg

Can the Oilstone be used with water or should it be used with oil only? Is there a difference between an Oilstone and a regular Whetstone?
    My dad said to me once, if you're in a pinch, you can spit on it. (He was talking about knife sharpening, I am not ready to do that with straights) ;) Oh! What about lapping? Can I use my Norton Diamond 325?
    Sorry for the many questions, Billy.

brit, Steve56, AGHisBBS and 6 others like this.
  17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I was taught, by my late Grandfather, to use spit, on the Arkies, 45 years ago. But, they tend to clog up, pretty fast that way. I have a Soft Arkie, like yours, different manufacturer, that I have used since I was 12. Works great with regular mineral oil. The Black Arkie looks similar to a Surgical Black, ultra hard stone.

This thread might answer some questions:https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/lets-talk-arkansas-stones.54991/

That Hard Black Arkie might destroy your Norton Diamond lapping stone. I believe Silica Carbide Powder is the way to go, for lapping, unless you want a long hard workout.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  18. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Those are extremely nice Arkies Joseph, especially the hard Norton. Use oil on them. Once used with oil, they’re hard to get clean enough to go back to water unless you have a some soap in the water. Most people report better results with oil, but you can use Ballistol or a water-soluble honing solution.

Arks will tear your diamond plate up! Don’t use it! If you need to lap them, most people use loose silicon carbide grit on plate glass and it still takes a while. The hard black ones need to be polished to be razor finishers, so most people use w/d sandpaper after the loose grit up to 1000-2000 grit then burnish them with a side of a knife or a tool until they’re polished like a mirror. And they’ll take a long tome to use too, maybe 150-200 strokes once the razor is ready to finish, but a lot of folks really like the edge from them.

Cheers, Steve

19. Billyfergie

Like Scott Said Below...Silicone Carbide For Heavy Lapping Work...Dans Surgical Black Stones Come Flat...I Just Hit it with 1000 Grit Wet n Dry to Keep it Uber Smooth...They are Not Expensive & Worth the Money...;)

They are Oil Stones...I Would NEVER Use Water on Mine...By the Way...A Razor NEEDS to be Honed Perfectly through the Progression or an Arkie Wont Work..In Other Words they are NOT Forgiving to Honing Errors...Be Warned...Thats Why Some Folks CANT USE Em..:D

Billy...:chores016:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    mrchick, Keithmax, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  20. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Everybody has their breaking point........

Karl G, Primotenore and Billyfergie like this.