The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'll be dropping in a few new razors in the "Shave of the Day".

Karl G, AGHisBBS, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    No They Dont..:rofl:

Billy..:chores016:

brit, mrchick, Steve56 and 5 others like this.
  3. oscar11

I didn't mean me, I was trying to keep Primo's spirit up.
    I went on a party with a couple of British Marines once but that's a couple of chapters in a who done it novel. It was wild one.

brit, Karl G, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  4. oscar11

5. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

5/8 stainless, micarta scales, heavy razor, supposed to be known for edge retention but more difficult to hone. See how it shaves soon.

20190313_090157-1.jpeg

BTW, does it create a disturbance in the Force if I get a shavette too?

20190313_083704-1.jpeg

Timwcic, brit, mrchick and 9 others like this.
  6. oscar11

I had one and really liked it but sold it for some insane reason. I think I've regretted every straight I sold. I had a pretty nice collection of Geneva's I sold with the exception of a couple of pyramid 7's.

Keithmax, Steve56, TestDepth and 4 others like this.
  7. Billyfergie

In My Experience those Particular Dovo Razors Hone Up & Shave Like a Dream...:happy088:

Karl G, TestDepth and Edison Carter like this.
  8. Edison Carter

Great news to hear.

My vendor does hone these razors. I think he is currently using an intentionally convex Arkansas. I have always liked what I got from him.

If I may ask;
    1) What stone selection would you normally use here
    2) In your opinion, will I be able get satisfactory results using a Naniwa SS progression when the time comes.

Thx

9. Billyfergie

A Naniwa SS Progression is One of the Best Honing Systems Out there Today...Thats What I Use...As Far as a Convex Stone Goes I Dont Get it & I Dont Get the Benefit Claims about Em Either..Every Razor I have Honed has been on a Normal Flat Stone..I Personally Would Never Use Anything Other than a Flat Stone for Any SR Hone Job...:happy088:

Karl G, Keithmax, Steve56 and 4 others like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Could NOT pass up this smokin' hot deal from a great TSN Forum member.
    CgUYDGW.jpg
    QpT8Mf1.jpg
    1Aca3Mq.jpg

Timwcic, brit, Karl G and 9 others like this.
  11. Edison Carter

Ooooooo! Thems is wicked good.

Danger Will Robinson, Danger. If that is the factory celluloid scales on the Dovo, don't spritz them with alcohol. I did that on a brand new one to clean off the oil and they cracked before 3 laps on the strop. It was a Dovo Best. Great Shaver!

Nice stuff

Karl G, Keithmax and Primotenore like this.
  12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

They’re functionally a narrow hone. If the razor is overground in an area or mis-ground, a convex hone can make it easier to hone them. Much like using a narrow hone to hone a frown.

Cheers, Steve

Karl G, Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Great guy on the other Forum. These items are as good as new. I will heed the warning about the alcohol.

14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

90FEAF3F-AB5E-4CE9-9FBC-5826E29613BD.jpeg A27C0C6E-FA5C-436A-B5F5-03EB7EB14B0B.jpeg

I acquired this NOS Le Jaguar Sytematique a few years ago, but it’s an interesting story. Rarely can you date an old razor accurately, and even more rarely you know the early history of it.

The postcard is an order confirmation dated March 31, 1955 from Champredon-Cognet to Monsieur Mohamed XXXXX of Taza, Haute Maroc or French Morocco. He lived at 25 rue Jamah Souk. The postcard is also interesting as it is a silver gelatin photographic print, the second image is the other side of the postcard. It was mailed on 03/31/1955 from Thiers, France. I often wonder why it was bought and never used, maybe for a son?

The scales were warped pretty badly though the steel was pristine, so Alfredo did his usual impressive black horn scales for it.

So there you have it, an interesting little bit of razor history that you do not see very often.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Timwcic, brit, Karl G and 8 others like this.
  15. Edison Carter

I got mine on SRD close out. A similar strop too. Probably honed by Lynn. Great Shaver. Tight scales. Nice hollow grind. For market price of around $100, I think it would make a great starter.

Can't tell you how bummed out I was to have those scales just crumble in my hands. Had a pair of Wyley X glasses do the same thing. I understand not all celluloid scales have that sensitivity.

Karl G, AGHisBBS, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  16. Edison Carter

Nice. Love it. Thx for the story.

Karl G, AGHisBBS and Billyfergie like this.
  17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Shavette is definitely a dark side tool.

Great find, it is pristine plus the provenance of the razor just adds to the cool factor.

18. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Again..I Have Never Found Any Differnce Using a Narrow Hone to a Wider Hone...I Have Two Narrow Escher Thuri Hones & A Very Narrow Coticule as You Can See...Thats Me Talkin Mind...:happy088:

Timwcic, brit, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

ABDA3052-6727-464B-B30F-0D54FA37E4C0.jpeg

Agree, Billy. Narrow hones are useful but not necessary. If you know how to hone, you can hone on an apple-shaped hone or a flat one, or anything in between. You just have to get your groove on.

But everyone has a narrow hone for overground Dovos and frowns....

Cheers, Steve

Timwcic, Karl G, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  20. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    :happy102: