The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    That's a really nice razor, Steve.

2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you Joseph!

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

We might not try to stop you from purchasing a nice razor, but we sure might try to out bid you. Not me, of course.
    Hmmmm, a NOS Merkur Straight huh???? :signs136:

4. SammieM

SammieM Well-Known Member

Good luck finding it. Lol
    Here it is.
    FE5517EC-0726-434A-BCD5-FD1026ACE10A.jpeg 1EBB75CA-47E1-4FA4-BB6E-9DADA0F9C538.jpeg 7C01A74E-FD63-4531-9AA2-C4BBC2BC43D8.jpeg 2D99093E-8BD7-48D1-8A6D-9D6CC2C4EB58.jpeg

Zykris, Keithmax, brit and 5 others like this.
  5. DaltonGang

6. SammieM

It is lovely, but it is not mine yet. Lol.
    I have been looking at it for the past couple of months and wondering if I should pull the trigger. In the meantime the guy dropped the price a bit... hehe

7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

There are a couple of Merkur straights on the bay as of yesterday. Probably the same razor as the Herder Constant?

8. SammieM

This guy claims that apparently Merkur got their blanks from Jose Monserrat... Haven't been able to verify this claim...

9. SammieM

Wow. Much better prices than what the guy is asking...

Edison Carter and Billyfergie like this.
  10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

And a lot of folks say that Jose got his blanks from Herkenrath, and there’s some evidence for that in the shape of the blanks.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  11. DaltonGang

GEBR. BECKER, "Silver Steel".
    Solingen Germany
    Extra Hollow Ground
    11/16+inch

I took a chance, on the poor pictures, posted on Ebay, and bought it for around $15 Total with shipping. It needed some cleaning up, as well as some minor rust removal, but came out shiny. I don't see any hone wear, and it still has the factory bevel. Still pretty sharp, even though it had a little rust on the middle of the bevel. . This should hone up nicely, because of the very thin grind. It is so thin, when you touch the edge, with a fingernail, much of it flexes. The original owners name was scratched in the scales, as well as written on the razor case. Thank you J.J.Thomas, for not using this much.

P6101002.JPG

P6101003.JPG

Zykris, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 5 others like this.
  12. SammieM

I had no idea. Looked around at their website and sure enough, some of the blanks look exactly like a Fili 14...

Billyfergie likes this.
  13. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

That is a beauty Scott! Great score.
    :eatdrink047:

Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Thank you. I get lucky every once and a while.

TestDepth and Billyfergie like this.
  15. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Engels Leader Full Hollow 13/16th Just Arrived from the USA Today...Not Much to Say..Except its Factory Fresh NOS Minter than Mint..:rofl:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  16. filinov_a

filinov_a New Member

Hello! Did you happen to find out any information about the razor / manufacturer?

DaltonGang and Billyfergie like this.
  17. DaltonGang

No, I dont believe anyone got back with me, on that one. It looks to be from the mid 1800's by the design.
    BTW, welcome to The Shave Den.

18. DaltonGang

Several goodies arrived, and on the way. I've been bored, with being at home, alone, for the past week. One more week to endure. :signs136:

19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

DE729F3F-AC86-4703-A3CC-53E88215C369.jpeg 207410C6-EB8D-4385-9D00-CD81419A4AF3.jpeg 6D5C5EF9-8677-4758-A5C4-D6BF80ED2E97.jpeg

Picked up a vintage 5/8 ‘Weststrand’ for under $42 this weekend, it’s on the way. No collars on those pins. Think that I got taken?

Keithmax, Billyfergie, basil and 4 others like this.
  20. DaltonGang

You know, as well as I do, that is a C.V.Heljestrand razor. The seller misread it . As for whether it is worth the money you paid? Well, you are going to do some sanding. It depends on how deep the corrosion is. Hopefully it turns out looking well.