The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Yep, fully agree, but the scales are worth the bid even if the blade is junk. If they are what I believe them to be.

2. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I think you’ll be happy. I was watching that one, but lost signal near the end of the auction.

Steve56 and Edison Carter like this.
  3. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Received this Heljestrand mk10. It’s no beauty queen and needs a little tlc but it was a nice add on to a trade I made. BD572D56-18CE-4FB1-A7A8-EF6839F3588B.jpeg

4. basil

basil Well-Known Member

5. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Look at that beautiful tortoise shell! Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

It’s a MK 31.

7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

9A69A2D6-365F-4867-B581-67BDFC5290DC.jpeg 83C637E4-A43D-4B4F-AD26-B7093D3C189A.jpeg

Well, the Rolling Stones said ‘You can’t always get what you want’, and that’s true of that eBay ‘Weststrand’ razor above. Scott was right about sanding, maybe too right, lol. There’s heavy rust on both sides but oddly localized. These images were made after a good bit of rubbing with 0000 steel wool just to get an idea of how much steel is gone - and it isn’t good, but it doesn’t extend all the way to the bevel. It has a little frown, and if you brute force that out the bevel will be close to the heavily rusted area. So overall, the blade is probably not worth the effort to get it up and running. Shame.

I’d still buy it for the price that I paid, the scales are tortoise and big enough to fit 11/16 I think, and there are no bug bites or anything - they’re perfect. Or I can try for a MK 31 in plastic and swap.

8. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Sorry it didn’t work out! You did an awesome job of trying fo save it though.

9. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Beautiful color in those scales!

That is the main reason you bought it, right?

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It doesnt look too bad, from here. just keep sanding, when you have spare time. I know pretty, and shiny are all the rage, but a patina look, on an old razor is just as appealing. If you know of anyone who can do a soft sand blasting, that might be the way to go, after much of the pitting is smoothed out.
    BTW, the scales are worth what you paid, easily. Hmm, I wonder if Red Ear Slider Turtle shells make good scales?? Those things are everywhere around here.

11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Might give it a try, the pitting is deep into the steel, not just an areal thing.

Go out and talk to those red ear sliders, one may want to volunteer!

12. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Eiko, baby!
    79282003-6E6E-496B-B354-8C2D61FCA711.jpeg

Navarrsky, Leclec13, Keithmax and 9 others like this.
  13. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Always liked that shape Randy... still looking myself :)

Those scales look pristine.

14. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Stunning!!! I can’t remember is it kami ground or regular?

15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

They’re symmetrical. Seems to be the same blade as the King Pelican 14 but the tang and scales are differently shaped. Great shaver like the KP 14.

BTW, King Pelican was a high-end house brand of Nichiri barber supply, so they could have very well been made by Eiko, just as the Nichiri Cape Swedish Steel line seems to be made by Tanifuji - but only the Swedish Steel Cape razors.

Good stuff indeed!

16. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Some great info there. I remember hearing about the Nichiri connection before.

17. DaltonGang

18. DaltonGang

Just kidding about the Red Eared Sliders. Then again, if you see any of my razors with green striped scales, you will know.:signs136:

19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

20. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

basil, Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.