The Surprise

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Slivovitz, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I've learned a lot of new things since I began to take wet shaving seriously, going on three years ago now. Lathering with soap and brush was something I had seen only in "old movies". It was what people used to do before they came up with canned shaving cream. I never thought about how it would actually work, or realized that anyone still did it. My first razor had been a double edge model of some kind, but the sheer variety of available models had escaped me. You needed to have one, but didn't give it any more thought than most people would give to buying a toothbrush, or any other necessary but uninteresting device. I was vaguely aware of injectors, and had heard somewhere that there used to be single edged razors, but there didn't seem to be any reason to look further.

Well, when you take up a new interest, and start looking into what's involved, of course you're going to learn about new things: equipment, products, and the techniques for using them. Some of the things you learn may be unexpected in themselves, but it's not surprising that there were things you didn't know. Finding these things out is part of the fun of any hobby.

The surprise is the community you find.

There have always been clubs and informal gatherings for people with a common interest. If you want to talk with other people about books or music, get into amateur astronomy, play games like chess or poker, the Internet can be a great resource, but chances are you can find a local club for that, with people that you can meet face to face. Wet shaving, though? Oh, a few local razor collectors might get to know each other, but it's hard to imagine a dozen guys sitting around a bar talking about face lathering techniques. More than that, it's hard to imagine them doing it night after night, or meeting at the local diner for breakfast and all describing that morning's shave. Weird.

Only it's not so weird around here, is it? There's that moment of insight when you realize that there may be actual skill involved in shaving, that you can't necessarily work it all out on your own. Once you realize that, it makes sense to come to a forum like this one. Exactly how do I use this brush to get a lather out of this soap, or this cream that comes in a tube? Is it normal to cut myself this much? Are all razors the same? How about soaps? What brand of razor/blade/brush/soap/cream etc. should I buy?

The really basic questions don't take that long to answer. Once you get a decent setup, learn how you're supposed to use it, and get a few weeks of practice in making it work for you, there's not much more to be said. Thanks for dropping by, glad we could help, seriously.

On the other hand, you may have discovered that there are things you'd still like to talk about. All these soaps, for example, how different are they? What can I expect from a high end brush that I'm not getting from my current one? Where is the best place to buy…well, anything? All these different models of razors, where do you even start?

After a while, you realize that you're not just asking questions. You become the first one to tell a newbie how to face lather, or point him to the "what razor should I buy" thread. You tell somebody how to use an injector razor, or where to find blades for a Gem 1912. You explain the importance of prep, and what to do after a shave. Asked about blades, you reveal the great truth that "your mileage may vary".

And you're among other people who actually want to talk about these things. Show off the old razor that you picked up at a yard sale for $1.00, and people around here will take a genuine interest, tell you what it is if you didn't already know, congratulate you on your find. Express your honest opinion of Brand X soap, and see the impassioned responses from its fans and detractors. Show a picture of what you used for this morning's shave, and describe how it went; people will actually read this with interest. We like to see what other people are using. Shamefacedly admit how much all this is costing you and get moral support from people who have spent even more. Well, okay, maybe that last part isn't such a good thing. Traditional wet shaving can save you money, but it doesn't always work out that way in practice. Don't get carried away.

We're all selective in how much we reveal about our real lives, but you'll start to pick up on the distinctive personalities around here, recognize their style, the things they talk about and the things that they don't. Post often enough, and the regulars will have an image of you as well. Write as much as you like, it's not like you're shouting anybody down. Write as little as you like, sometimes it's more fun just to read. Concentrate on anything that interests you, aftershaves, straight razors, or questionable jokes; we're pretty easygoing. Okay, no politics, but if you want to be depressed, there are other places for that.

Surprise! It's a community.

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Very Nice Brother!

We Love You!

Long Live TSD! This Is The Best Wet Shave Board On The Planet!

3. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Well done sir. :happy088:

4. Good thoughts, well written!:signs107:

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

An absolute Gem of an article ;)
    Loved it.

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent article!

7. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Things like this are nice to hear.. and you tell them well.. thanks.. :)

8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Great article, with a wonderful touch of humor! :signs107:

9. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Interesting. I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately.

Nicely done.

awake2shave likes this.
  10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I think you nailed it Sliv.

11. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

Nicely done Sir.

12. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

One of the best articles written so far, outstanding!

Queen of Blades likes this.
  13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Everytime you put fingers to keyboard you always deliever on many levels...Whether helping with technique or identifying a razor, or relating a funny shaving anecdote in your own unique way....And again you have captured our thoughts and feelings and expressed them so well....Bravo! Loved It...:happy088:

battle.munky likes this.
  14. wknicholas

wknicholas Well-Known Member

An excellent article! :signs107:

15. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

A great article.

16. Mackie

Mackie Member

Very good. I liked it.

17. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

That is very good article. Thank you for that, Slivovitz!

18. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the article very much as a 2 1/2 month member and DE/SE shaver. I'm amazed at all the generosity of the members and yes, how they are interested in most anything that is posted.

19. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Like dat! :happy096:

20. Grande

Grande Member

It's like Sliv, said.

We're not just a community but a support group (and group of enablers). As a newbie I lamented to a fellow member that while discussing our hobby at a party a friend said: "You spent how much on a what?!?, Waddaya nuts?!" (a pricey brush)

All the member could say was "welcome to our world." Right there I learned not to say too much to outsiders. Sets youself up for ridicule.

Switchermike, Zilla and Conrad1959 like this.