The US West Coast Bunny Injector Pass-Around

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rufus T., Feb 20, 2016.

1. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Traveling with the Bunny

Though I'm committed to my Schick Repeater C1 as my travel razor, I know my time is limited with the Bunny in order to get it in the hands of others.

Today's road shave was set-up so well by the excellent first shave I experienced yesterday. I probably didn't need to shave, but have meetings from dawn to dusk so here we go.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456335137.434492.jpg

Shave 2 - 'Mild' comb, Chick Blade (2)
    Morning shave.
    One-pass ATG.
    Very deliberate shave to dial in the angle.

Done and done!
    Much better for me around my problem areas, limited repeat strokes, no missed spots, AND extremely smooth. (Anyone who reads my posts, doesn't see me use 'BBS' very much - is my BBS someone else's CCS?)

My two personal criteria (YMMV) smoothness of the shave not my skin, and amount of and timing of regrowth, especially the next day. Today's shave process was much smoother than yesterday as I get used to the equipment, and this morning's stubble was as light as I've ever experienced. Something tells me, I'll have even less tomorrow morning.

Two things left for me to do with this set up:
    - shave with a significant growth,
    - just spend more time with it to discover the nuances.

Not enough time for the second, but will probably skip Friday and Saturday shave to try this set-up on a three day growth.

Right now my plan for next week will be to take a couple shaves with each of the other two combs using Chick blades - just to keep everything else the same and to really focus on the razor.

Cheers!
    RT

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  2. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

I liked the suggestion that we chronicle the travels of the Bunny pass-around. Here's my travel log entry.

Mr. Bunny Goes to Washington

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456335911.007307.jpg

It's not that Washington (thankfully!), but here is our distinguished Mr. Bunny at the state Capitol in Olympia, Washington.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  3. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Great shot :signs154:

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

That's a BIG BUNNY!!!!

Rufus T., Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  5. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

If I can't have one... I guess I'll just have to get a clone ... Lol
    I'll call it the jack rabbit
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hahaha

6. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That's fantastic!
    I hope we see more 'Bunny visiting [state/city]' photos :)

Rufus T., Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

9. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I have a few cool places to stage the bunny...can't wait for my turn.

Great stuff so far...

10. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Yes I will have to take my Bunny out for a photo shoot tomorrow. The wife and I may be going to the Beach. If not maybe I will try to get a shot of her overlooking LA. I would do the Hollywood sign this weekend. But the Oscars have Hollywood all messed up.

11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Sorry so late. I would love to get in line to try this razor.

12. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Love to have you. I am sure @Rufus T. will find you a spot. It will have to be a 10 day focus unless Rufus lets you have it longer:)

13. Bama Samurai

Thanks for letting me have a spot. Whenever is good by me, I can shake it down in a six day trial and write it up for you, this is a cool opportunity!

Rufus T., Karl G, BeShaved and 3 others like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

WCBPA hotlink added to my signature box. :happy088:

15. Bama Samurai

So I've done a little background reading and have set reasonably high expectations. Sounds like I can get autimatic two pass DFS. Will be fun to find out!

BeShaved, Rufus T., Karl G and 2 others like this.
  16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Nothing like a little pressure on the Bunny

17. Bama Samurai

:happy088:

Rufus T., Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  18. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

:happy096:That was 2 Great Shave Reports Vince..The Head in the Bunny is indeed Tighter than most Injectors in particular the Schick's..I have discussed this one with Tom..Most Folks that are going to be using the Bunny will be Schick Users & the Bunny Loading Procedure will be Different to them for Sure..I am used to some of the American Safety Company Injectors with tighter heads so I didn't have an Issue with it..:p

Once Folks get Over the initial difference to Schick's I reckon that they will be fine with it..The design of Toms spring set up in my Eyes will Endure the Test of Time I reckon..That is to say..I think its a Robust enough design not to Wear over Time & I think that's Important..In Other words...Is should last a Lifetime without any problems..I have a Schick F Type that's made out of similar material's & its a Bugger to load by Comparison to the Bunny & as Can be the PAL Adjustable on Occasion's.. :)

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    JBSharp, Rufus T., RyX and 4 others like this.
  19. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

February 28, 2016
    SHAVE DEN SUNDAY
    with the Bunny by @twhite

Shave 4

Hot Shower
    Razor: @twhite Bunny Injector
    Blade: Schick (China) (1)
    Soap: TSD Unscented
    Brush: Rubberset 400-4
    TSD Witch Hazel
    TSD Aftershave Milk
    TSD Yin Yang

02-28-16.JPG

My first two shaves with the Bunny were great. But Friday’s switch from the ‘Mild’ comb to the ‘Notso” comb left me speechless and not in a good way - so I didn’t even report on it.

All weekend I was at a loss. Was I unfocused? Messing too much with the angle? Was it the comb? Maybe I'll switch to the ‘Wild’ comb and get a different result.

So today I was relaxed, calm and ready for another try at a two-pass shave (XTG and ATG) on a two-day growth.
    First pass was horrible - again! - hardly any reduction.

I refused to have a second bad shave in a row, so I hit the reset button and reloaded a new blade.

What a difference! First pass was again with the “Wild” comb and XTG. Excellent reduction, quiet feedback. Switched to “Mild” comb for the ATG and I’m “dolphin smooth” and SOOOO relieved. I thought I’d have to give a negative report on the Bunny.

But I knew my first two shaves went so well with the “Mild” comb. Switching to the “Notso” for the third shave shouldn’t have changed the shave that much, but using the “Wild” on the fourth shave gave the same lousy result.

Then I remembered that I had changed the blade for the third shave and left it in for today’s shave. I looked at the blade and it’s position in the razor and it looked fine, but I decided to change the blade and it made all the difference. Either I had a dud blade or I mis-loaded.

I did notice that as soon as I loaded the injector key to make the change today, the old blade slipped right out the front of the razor and onto the floor. So though the key slot is tight, the top blade spring is not.

Also, I can’t discount that old blade may have been pushed up and over the stops, because once the key is removed the back blade spring does have a hefty amount of forward tension.

So to test all this - I put the new blade in with the razor almost inverted (top down) so that when I slid the new blade into the razor, the blade stayed back. Once it was in place, I slowly pulled the key out which then allowed the rear blade spring to push the blade forward to the blade stops - and then I heard a ‘click’ sound - just like I did when I loaded the first blade that performed well last week.

I’d like to play with the loading mechanism more, but at this point I’ve got maybe 4 - 5 shaves left before I pass the razor on. So I want to insure a string of good shaves to assess the razor performance now that I have the blade loaded correctly. I’ll just leave this blade in and not chance misloading another.

Shavers following me with this pass-around should note the experience I had and take care when loading your blades.
    Tom - any advice on this would be appreciated if you have any further ideas.

All That Said - once the blade is loaded correctly the cutting angle is easy to find and great shaves are coming my way with this fine razor! (Six hours since the shave and I have no sign of stubble!)

Cheers!
    RT

20. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Great report @Rufus T. :happy088: