The US West Coast Bunny Injector Pass-Around

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rufus T., Feb 20, 2016.

1. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Thanks Tom, I was lucky to find one that had hardly been used so I left the original knot in place, as well as refrained from a high polish treatment to retain the acquired patina of a 60 - 70 year-old brush! Not to mention - to me, its performance is as great as its looks.

RyX, Bama Samurai, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Superb work! Setting the bar high!

Rufus T., Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  3. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

All your gear matches The Bunny Rufus.....it's like this was meant to be! :)

4. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Wow that just took me back.....I had a boss who came to work in Canada straight from Glasgow. He spoke and swore just like the guy in the video......:) He used the term "higgledy piggledy" a lot?

Rufus T., Karl G, Robyflexx and 3 others like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

(I'm lurking. But not paying super close attention until after it's my turn. It's a good-faith effort to avoid preconceived notions and bias. Good stuff so far!)

6. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

stop reading then!
    :)

I'll be posting my two-week review shortly before I pass the Bunny along tomorrow.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  7. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

March 3, 2016

Two weeks with the Bunny Razor V3 by @twhite

Last shave and final review.

Being on the road yesterday (Wednesday), I ran into a time crunch and could not report on the shave.
    Briefly - on the heels of great shave on Tuesday (1st pass - XTG - Notso comb, 2nd pass - ATG - Mild comb) it occurred to me that I should try a one-pass on Wednesday. I wasn’t disappointed. One-pass ATG shave. Though a bit rushed, it left me clean as a whistle using the Mild comb and ready to face a long workday.

I decided that with so many shavers on the US West Coast addition (18) waiting to try this razor, I would make today my last shave in order to move it along.

Shave 8
    Hot Shower
    Razor: TWhite Bunny Injector V3
    Blade: Schick (China) (5)
    Soap: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    Brush: Rubberset 400-4
    TSD Witch Hazel
    AS: Myrsol Blue

IMG_3812 2.JPG

Two pass shave:
    1st pass: XTG with Wild comb
    2nd pass: ATG with Mild comb

This is a great combo for me. With a 30+ hours growth, the Wild comb gave a great reduction, leaving the Mild comb the chance to seal the deal on a great shave - and it did. Six hours later - no stubble and even my mouth corners and chin is in great shape.

Final Thoughts on the Bunny Experience

My eight shaves with the Bunny V3 were as good as I’ve had with any razor - DE, old style SE, Mongoose or injector. Once I got over my "Numpty" stumble with loading a blade into the Bunny - this first year of technique focus using all those razors paid off quickly with a quality product like the Bunny.

Loading aside, as well as the hyperbole coming from this novice shaver that I am, this razor is a fine shaving instrument.

Weight - Though I haven’t weighed my razors, the Bunny is noticeably heavier than most old style injectors yet lighter than most DEs.

Angle - Having a few months experience with injectors, the angle on the Bunny was very easy to find, as well as forgivingly easy to experiment a degree, or two, or more, in either direction to measure effectiveness.

Maneuverability - At first I thought the high center of gravity (due to the head design) would be a drawback. But in trying the “finger-balance” test for center of gravity, I found that it is not that much higher relative to a common injector - say an E2. The difference is in the weight - its just plain heavier - and the length - the extended length of the handle (compared to a E2) allows the head weight to apply all the necessary pressure onto the skin. No pressure is required. For those prone to irritation - this is great news. Just focus on no pressure.

This results in super maneuverability. I sometimes had to keep myself from racing around my face. But I did use the weight to help slow me down for long, smooth strokes, especially with slick lather. Speaking of slick - I tend to splash water and lather everywhere when I shave. While the aesthetics of the Bunny are top notch, I wouldn't mind some design revision to give me help with the grip. Perhaps on the handle, continuing the flat part of the sides down from the head further, and closer to the knob of the handle - giving just some small measure of added grip.

Trouble spots - No razor has dealt with some of my trouble spots as well as this one has with most of them. The jawline and just below it are daily trouble for me from a BBS standpoint - always just a smidge of stubble left. Not so with the Bunny. In fact, my best shaves in this area were with XTG 1st pass shaves with the Notso or Wild comb, followed by the 2nd pass with the Mild comb. It left these trouble spots as smooth as the so-called ‘dolphin-skin.’ This occurred much more frequently than with other razors on these spots.

The trouble spots on my chin and mouth corners were better than with other razors due to my ability to choke up on the handle, almost to the head, and perform very short, light strokes WTG. Never ATG on those spots, but with practice, I’d like to think that I’d someday be able to successfully go ATG on those spots. For now I just buff there WTG when I chase the baby.

One last feature that the Bunny Creator never mentioned - check out the (should be) patented "Bunny Cleansing Jets" when a cleansing stream from the tap goes through the comb/blade area:

Jet stream of water out each side of the Bunny ears!

To the Creator

I’ll just end by saying that it’s clear to me that Tom White is a true craftsman.

I am just awestruck that not only does he have talent to use industrial tools to create an efficient razor, but he also has a creative eye to visualize pleasing aesthetics that turns a razor into a remarkable combination of mechanical efficiency and style.

Lastly, to those that follow me in testing this razor - do not expect a “perfect” razor. I haven’t found one yet, probably never will. Don’t know if any of you have.

But Tom has captured what was expressed in one of my favorite Vince Lombardi quotes:
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.”

Tom, you’ve caught excellence. Thanks so much for sharing the experience.

Cheers!
    RT

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    macaronus, MattCB, JR Reyes and 13 others like this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Fantastic review.

9. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

10. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Excellent summary Vince :happy096:

11. Robyflexx

Very informative and insightful review. :signs107::thanks:

12. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Vince

I love your water jet video. For some reason it struck my funny. I have been giggling ever since.

Tom

13. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review. I caught several clues that I think will help me through my time with Bunny. BTW, that was a really good review, hope I can do half as well as you did. With respect.

Bill

MattCB, Bama Samurai, mrchick and 6 others like this.
  14. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Cracking write Up..:kar:

Billy..:chores016:

15. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Chief Numpty sounds like a nice new CT for you

16. mrchick

Wonderful review. I can't wait to try this razor!

17. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Well said. I will be plagiarizing your work for my review........:D

RyX, Bama Samurai, Rufus T. and 4 others like this.
  18. mrchick

+1

19. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

not to worry...where do you think i get my material from? :think002:

i haven't had an original thought since '74! :happy068:

Hodge, Bama Samurai, ob1page and 5 others like this.
  20. Robyflexx

:happy097: