The VINTAGE Williams Project

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by GDCarrington, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Update-I blew it......waited too long before trying it. With a Colgate now, I wouldn't do that again.

brit likes this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I titaniced my way through my vintage Williams about two months ago, so I am now ready to prep another tub. I really enjoy this process and I want to send a shout out to @GDCarrington to whom I am grateful for his original post. Hope you are well, wherever you are, sir.
    First, these are the tools you'll need:
    IMG_5307.jpeg
    Next, you need to finely grate the puck.
    Before:
    IMG_5308.jpeg
    After:
    IMG_5309.jpeg
    Weigh the soap:
    Mine weighs 48g
    IMG_5311.jpeg
    Next, measure out how much menthol crystals you want (optional)
    IMG_5312.jpeg
    Next, you add the exact same amount of boiling water to the crystals, in my case 48g.
    IMG_5313.jpeg

Make sure the crystals are dissolved and immediately add the grated soap and stir well.
    IMG_5314.jpeg
    Spoon contents into the vessel of your choice.
    IMG_5315.jpeg
    I like to smack the container on the counter to get any air bubbles out.
    That's it!
    Now it needs to cure. a.k.a. dry out. I will put a small piece of parchment paper over the soap loosely (don't seal the container)
    just to keep any dust out. Approximately every other day I will lightly press down on the soap to compress it into the container.
    You'll know when it's ready. It'll be fairly dry. This does not take more than a week to ten days.
    This time I adorned my container with the label.
    IMG_5317.jpeg
    This process works well with every old, dried up puck of tallow soap. Colgate, Old Spice, Yardley. etc.
    Hope you enjoyed the tutorial. Give it a try, it works like a charm.

3. brit

brit in a box

very cool Joseph..works excellent..

4. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Hmmm...we have a grater, we have menthol crystals and the last time I looked we had water. Guess I'm going to have to sneak over to the bay to check for that last, but critical last ingredient. Way to both bring back a cool old thread and enable at the same tome, Primo...and youre no help, Gary!

Primotenore and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

:eatdrink047:..works excellent..:)

6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Here you can see the soap is curing nicely. I have compressed the soap into the container. IMG_5329.jpeg
    No doubt, this soap'll be ready for the next Williams Wednesday!

jtspartan, Droo78, brit and 1 other person like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

looking good Joseph..i grated mine a little more coarse so it took longer to dry..one sided grater.

8. brit

brit in a box

vintage canadian tonsorial..
    s-l500.jpg s-l500 (1).jpg