The Watch/Timepiece Thread

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Sejanus, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

No, it came with a rubber diver's band which would be great but I don't intentionally dive. This one can be found here, the gentleman is great to deal with and has very good prices.

Global Watch Band

2. VetsJetsnGuns

VetsJetsnGuns Need love... will pay.

Not my daily wearer, but I love this watch.

Attached Files:

3. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

THAT is an awesome watch!

4. VetsJetsnGuns

best part was the deal I got on it- $400. Granted it was in late 90's dollars, but still a deal and a half...

5. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

The Suunto is said to be among the most accurate.

I use solar powered Casio with Altimeter...Can't get it to have repeatable results..so I have to work on the Alti part.
    The compass is well done, accurate and well seen
    [​IMG]

Tells time very accurately too... :0
    [​IMG]

6. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

That Tag is something!
    I have difficulty pushing just one button at a time...This might overwhelm me..
    :)

7. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Well, the alti usually has to be calibrated for each weather condition at any given time (low preassure/high preassure) so I have given up on using the alti as, as you have concluded, it's hard to get repeatable results!

Indeed, "[Suunoto's] founder, Tuomas Vohlonen, invented the first successful portable liquid-filled compass designed for individual use." [ref] So they are generally considered leaders in the compass field.

Ohh.. that is a feature I have to look for :p

8. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

Johan, thanks for the input on the altimeter. I'll back off on trying to get it to work. It's disappointing that there's no easy way to adjust altimeter. It's interesting to see.

Here's some solar power. I tend to like the idea of sun power for any SHTF scenario...
    [​IMG]

T

9. VetsJetsnGuns

is there an option to put an altimeter setting in? It would be in Inches of Mercury (InHg) or Milimeters of Mercury (mmHg) It would look like 29.92 for inHg or 1013.7 for mmHg)

you can get local altimeter settings from the NOAA
    when you get to the page, select "translated" and you'll get an altimeter setting.

You can find an airport near you from here. It all just depends on how much tinkering you want to do.

if worse comes to worse, I can tell you how to correct the number your watch is giving you for your approximate altitude (I think)

10. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

THanks for the info and links.
    My problem is not setting it with a known height...But having it replicate the reading the next day at the same place...

11. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

I think there is a barometric pressure setting that I can input...I'll have to look at that avenue...You may have just put me on another path to getting my height consistent..I hope so anyways :)

12. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

This is how timepiece alti settings work, thus the need for recalibration at a reference altimeter at the current barometic pressure [at any given time]. A sudden drop in barometric pressure would be interpreted as an increase in altitude by the timepiece altimeter function.

13. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Move to the Good Life for more action. :D

14. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

1958 Omega Seamaster

Attached Files:

15. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Whoa! Now *that's* what I'm talking about!!! :1respect:1respect

James.

16. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I know.. I love that watch. Vintage = better than New 9 times out of 10.

17. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Fantastic watch!

18. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Thanks Guys....................but I'll reeeeeeeally love it when I find a vintage bracelet for her :cool:

19. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

My retirement gift - School logo on face.
    [​IMG]

20. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

I have this one. I got it as a gift.
    [​IMG]