Thermos Shaving Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Timwcic, May 3, 2020.

1. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

I scored this brush at a flea market before the lockdown. I have been test driving for the last few weeks and it has turned into a WOW of a brush. I have seen a few other Thermos brushes over the years but they were boar bristle in rundown condition. This is the first badger I have seen so I gave it a new home. A German made Thermos in a clear base. It measures in at 95mm overall with a 22x55 mm knot. It is labeled “rein dachs garantie” that translates to “pure badger guarantee”. Guessing it is from the 60’s-70’s. I was expecting a floppy brush but this is not even close to that. It is a stiff, scrubby knot with some of the softest tip I have. It’s not overly dense and has a small glue bump. It eats thru hard soap and whips creams with ease. I wonder if this is European White Badger. It has a face feel unlike any other brush I have. For being I brush found in the wild, it’s turning in to a unexpected impressive find

2389B828-9C2A-446C-9D66-17EBB17CD0E0.jpeg 832DCAFF-8DDD-4FA0-A599-DD189DED0867.jpeg F5A83B8D-818B-4FB1-A4DE-E7A3855844AD.jpeg EB86E9CE-975B-4C50-AC37-F1E0C5D63EDB.jpeg

DaltonGang, brit, jimjo1031 and 2 others like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Very cool brush. As to where the badger hair is from, I would still say it's from China. As you said, you thought it could be from 60's or 70's (you may be right, but I'd possibly include the 50's). That said it's highly unlikely that German brush manufacturers would locally source badger when China's would be far less expensive and abundant even then. As to its different feel, I would say that it's just from the back, legs or side of the badger where the hair is a bit stiffer.

Grades

:eatdrink013:

Timwcic and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

very cool brush..

Timwcic likes this.
  4. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Thanks gentlemen. Interesting info on hair sourcing. With the high loft, I was expecting it to be a flop mop. A treat to find a usable Badger it the wild

Enrico likes this.