Thinking about a new brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Padron, Sep 22, 2007.

1. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Mike swears by Polo 8. Says its his best go to brush.

2. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

Don't these 3 cover soaps fairly well?

3. Rooney Size 1 Style 1 Super, Horn Handle
    4. Simpson Case Best
    5. C&E BBB

What aspects would you say you're missing, that you'd like to see with soap performance? There's always Rooney Style 1 Small/Medium Finest, that will get you an incredible amount of firmness.

J

3. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thanks Isaac, very good to know. I am still researching this and trying to decide on one, a lot of choices out there though.

4. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Go for a Muehle Pinsel Super - Great Brush!!

5. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thanks J,

The Simpson Case is pretty small and doesn't have a dense knot, same with the C&E BBB....I love the Rooney, and it has been my go to Soap brush lately.

The Rooney Finest may be an option, but it's pretty spendy..

Just fishing for ideas and opinions of the others out there for the other types of brushes I never tried....Maybe I am looking for a denser scrubbier brush..I am not sure though.

My first post shows the only brushes I've had experience with so far, so any additional info is most welcome.

Thanks!

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thanks Thomas,

I will have to look at them, I think I remember Joe saying he liked his as well. Are they similar to what I already have though?

Neale

7. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I dont really know.. What I do know is that I get superior lather from both soaps and creams with all my Muehles.. I wouldnt say the Super from Muehle is scrubby really.. But not at all floppy though..

I think you get a very good Brush if you get a Muehle, and the price is very good if you compare to some of the English brands..

8. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Pics when brush arrives....prolly Mon.
    CH1 is a soap ONLY brush. IMO.
    The loft is wayyyyy too short for lathering in a bowl.
    Awesome for face lathering but not a "combo" brush for me.

9. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

IMO the duke 2 is going to be extremely similar to the Rooney 1/1 that you have already, but about $25 more expensive. The Ch1 best may have very similar tips to the Rooney, but will be more dense, with a slightly larger (1-2mm) knot, and a slightly fatter handle. The denseness may make it a big more scrubby, but with the hair having the same properties it may not be the extremity you're looking for. For that, you'd need to go Rooney Finest, Simpson T2 Super (the ones that look almost 2-banded, black shafts and extremely white tips). Some Plisson's have this quality as well, but you'd have to inquire about the specific brush in question.

The Simpson can be custom ordered from Lee or Em, but is nearly as pricey as a small Rooney Finest, and with those you know exactly what you are getting. There would also be no waiting period with Rooney, as Simpson tends to make the brush after you order it.

Best of luck.

J

10. Padron

Padron Active Member

Excellent,

Thanks very much for you help :cool:

11. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thanks Rick!, your CH1 is sweet!

12. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Muehle-Pinsel

--------------

I have:

Muehle-Pinsel Silvertip
    -> Closest thing I have to the BK4, as the hair is similar; but the loft is shorter, and they do not have as much "flex" The Muehle ends up being quite a bit softer than the Kent. However, as Thomas says, excellent with both the creams and soaps. Luxury. Not what you're looking for though ;)

Muehle-Pinsel Best/Pure? Badger
    -> Very scrubby, similar to the C&E Best but with a longer loft, and smaller knot. Perhaps not as dense, but yet more scrubby. The tips are very different. Its an interesting feel, because it is scrubby like a pure but the density (or lack thereof, I should say), in combination with the longer knot.......make for an EXCELLENT soap brush, but it performs extremely well with creams too. I am really, really into this brush right now....and for the price (<$40 you can't go wrong). Again, however, not what you're looking for.......lacking in 'density'.

13. GeNn

GeNn Member

Shavemaster V200

Anyone that has tried this brush have comments about them?
    I'm on the fence about getting this one.

14. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

15. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, GeNn!

16. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Welcome!

17. GeNn

GeNn Member

Thanks!
    Being a newbie I still have lather around my
    ears but I'm learning getting around this great forum.

I started wet shaving about 3 months ago.

18. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Welcome to The Shave Den GeNn!
    We all have lather around our ears. :D

19. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

And some up the nose :happy001

WELCOME to the Shave Den :eatdrink004

20. Dale

Dale New Member

I am also interested in a BK4. I am curious, do you build the lather on your face or in a bowl?