Thinking about picking up a Merkur Futur

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Badgerstate, May 8, 2017.

1. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Thats exactly why I went with the Merkur over the Chinese clone. I'll gladly pay more for something that was made by a company who pays its workers a fair wage.

Tdmsu and TitanTTB like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That's admirable. I presume you're not viewing this on a smartphone or computer of Chinese/SE/S Asian manufacture.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Is there a functional alternative to those items in todays' marketplace?

4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

There are certainly degrees of difference if one wants to go looking, between one Chinese manufacturer and another, or between Chinese and Korean or Taiwanese labor conditions.

There are companies that rely more on Japanese or American sources as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.n...he-usa-computer-hardware-made-in-america/amp/

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/a...how-much-does-iphone-cost-make-india-3633832/

I'm not trying to be a jerk, if I had my heart set on a Futur and had $70 to spend (neither describes me) I'd certainly buy the Merkur.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2017
    RyX likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Merkur Futurs do come for sale in the Classifieds. I picked mine up used in near-mint condition for about $40.

RyX and Tdmsu like this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That is of no benefit to workers at Merkur of course. I point this out because I have these same kind of discussions with friends in the music and audio industries who yap about bootlegging and artist royalties who also do all their shopping in used record stores.

Like most buyers of the clones I'm guessing, buying a Futur was not even on my radar.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  7. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

The Ming Shi/Futur comparison always seems to distill down to this intellectual property debate.

Nothing wrong with Made-in-China but a lot of Chinese clones and packaging are designed to obfuscate into passing as the genuine article - sure in this case the patent is expired and they aren't breaking any laws but I would be more impressed if Ming Shi had taken the Furtur design and tweeked it to something of their own. Even just a different handle design or something.
    I'm an engineer and have worked at places that have been undercut by cheap imports, so given a reasonable option I purchase first world manufactures that don't subsidize with slave labor conditions. It's an uneven playing field.

Just my take...

ninjack likes this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I would be more impressed if Merkur had tweeked it in or prior to 2005 and sought patent protection in order to protect it's intellectual property and to offer an improved product. Neither Ming Shi nor QShave are trying to pass this off as a Merkur, this is not another fake Gucci bag situation. I'm not going to second guess a decision not to modify the design to save money any more than I would Maggard's not to in their production of the Mulcuto slant clone (a more flawed design) for the same reason.

I have no reason to believe Ming Shi workers are any more exploited than those manufacturing Apple products, those making my Levis jeans in Cambodia, my shoes in Vietnam, or my shirt in Bangladesh. Somebody who can afford to buy first world manufactured products on any consistent basis has a lot more money than most of us. If you're a guy who can and does go out of the way to buy $25 made in USA t-shirts because you can I applaud both your success and your commitment.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    RyX and Tdmsu like this.
  9. TitanTTB

There are plenty of counterfeit-knockoffs in wetshaving for one to be skeptical - like fake Chinese razor blades.
    http://www.superiridiumblades.com/2012/07/how-to-spot-fake-iridium-super-extra.html
    If they have the ability to make razor blades, why not develop and market them on their own merits?
    I'm not that old but old enough to remember when my clothes, shoes, electronics were made domestically & it wasn't expensive or burdensome to do so.

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

They do: Baili, Mem, Cloud, Vincent, among the brands.

11. TitanTTB

Sure and those factories are quite likely the same ones that produced those fake Iridium blades. And why the Ming Shi looks exactly like the Furtur. The Merkur 1904 is a copy of the Gillette old type, in fact 1904 is a reference to the patent, but it looks nothing like the old type. I don't have an issue with modern razors are being made as an homage from long defunct companies, like the ones PAA produces. But producing a exact copy from a current manufacturer – while not illegal – is in poor taste.
    I don't know if the Chinese workers have it better off but there are notes from prisoners turning up in hand bags. http://www.dazeddigital.com/fashion...r-finds-note-from-chinese-prisoner-in-handbag

12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

AFAIK Merkur (then Hermes) did copy the Old Type when it was in production in the 20s, and at best "borrowed" the engineering and basic appearance of the Mikron in introducing the Progress after the war. Obviously we will have to agree to disagree, in my view capitalism does not necessarily reward good taste and I see no reason to discourage smart consumer choice because of bad business decisions by another for profit company. Unless you know something I don't the handbag thing is completely irrelevant to the matter at hand.

TitanTTB likes this.
  13. TitanTTB

We're going back and forth with generalities and specifics. You made the comment that the razor workers are no more exploited than the textile workers who produced your shoes and jeans, my point by the prisoner note is that's not a very high bar.
    I don't have a problem with Ming Shi per-se or people who buy the clone vs the original - it's just not something I care to support. I appreciate your point of view but we'll have to cheerfully disagree on some points.

jmudrick likes this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Ming Shi now available at Italian Barber for $9.99.

15. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

I suggest you don't just pick up a Futur, but you pick it up and shave with it. The Merkur Futur is a most outstanding razor.

It gives SMOOTH solid shaves. Caution: it's very aggressive. I have coarse whiskers, but a low setting of 1.5 is perfect for me.

OTOH the handle is a tad slippery. The razor may be a little heavy if you have arthritis, a weak hand, or are elderly.

On a scale of 10, I rate the Merkur Futur as a solid 9.

RyX likes this.
  16. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Blasphemy! Shave with a Futur? Next you'll be telling me that you lather with _soap_.

Str8on2 and RyX like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Even at $40 previously owned, I wouldn't have purchased a Futur. Perpetuating the economic conditions in China goes deeper than my single purchase of a clone. I do remember signs in Walmart proudly proclaiming "Made in America". Old Sam must be spinning in his imported particle board coffin knowing how few domestic products his shops now stock.
    For those that can afford a New Futur, I appreciate y'all taking the Retail Price hit. I'll keep my bottle of Dawn dish liquid ready to scrub the unit down when it goes third hand.
    Oh, I've got a Clone on the way. I'm good.

Str8on2, jmudrick and Jim99 like this.
  18. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Parker Variant, love this razor

Str8on2 and RyX like this.
  19. Grick

Grick Active Member

I shave between 4 and 6 and when I shaved with it for the first time at 3 I didn't nick myself once. The Gilleap.tte Adjustable bites more than the Futur in spite of the smaller blade gap. Weighing 130 gram it gives a smooth and steady shave.

Tdmsu likes this.
  20. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

IIRC I think the clone is lighter than the original?

I have one... can't say it blew me away. It currently resides with my brother although I don't think he uses it.

It did only cost $4 delivered though