Thinking about picking up a SYNTHETIC Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by AFWoody, Dec 9, 2015.

1. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I have a few synthetics, listed below. My favorite in terms of feel, backbone, and lather building is probably my 24mm Whipped Dog. It has a slightly different fiber than the Plisson and TGC knots, which I believe are the same fibers. I've heard the Razorock and the Stirling both use the same fibers. I have the Stirling 26mm on my Christmas list.
    • Omega S Brush
    • Asylum Brush Works Scanlon
    • The Grooming Company Synthetic
    • Plisson (I just got this one, so I've only used it once)
    • 24mm Whipped Dog, standard loft
    • 30mm Whipped Dog, 55mm loft
    • 30mm Whipped Dog, standard 60mm loft

AFWoody, Omelmad and pvtbanks like this.
  2. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

I only have the one synthetic and it is the Plisson - It is my primary brush

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  3. AFWoody

AFWoody Member

Where did you get it from?

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have and use a few.....
    • Omega synthetic
    • Stirling
    • TGN synthetic -- probably my favorite of the syn lot.
    [​IMG]

5. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Negative on picking up that Parker synthetic. For the money, you're better off getting one of the other synthetics already mentioned like the Razorock Plissoft or Stirling Kong. Those two have a similar face feel and softness found in the popular Plisson knot. I personally have been enjoying the Ubersoft 2 (26mm) knot that I placed into a vintage handle. I find it more dense and the shape is more of a fan versus a bulb which helps the knot to splay easier when lathering. In my opinion, synthetics give you a super soft face feel and should be part of your collection.

[​IMG]

Jayaruh and BigCabDaddy like this.
  6. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

7. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Man, I really need to get a lathe. That olive wood is gnarly!

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    BigCabDaddy likes this.
  9. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The hole is 25mm. You would put a 24mm knot in it. That is what I did. I got a 24mm silvertip from Whipped Dog.

11. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I caught that after I posted. Sorry.

12. AFWoody

AFWoody Member

Plissoft it is. I read all of the recommendations and was sold. I think if I like this brush I will definitely add the KONG and the Plisson. The Plisson is hard to come by, I couldn't find any online or in-stores locally.

I think the Plissoft will round out my baby brush collection (Semogue 620 (NEW/Unused), Baxter of California Silver-Tip Badger, and RazoRock Plissoft)

13. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Smart choice...you won't need the plisson after the plissoft.

AFWoody, RaZorBurn123 and BigCabDaddy like this.
  14. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Pffft!

Need...

Porter and JR Reyes like this.
  15. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have the Plission and the Kong and Plissoft, why all three are great brushes the RR Plissoft is heads above IMHO. Semogue 620 is a fine brush. You're on your way!!

AFWoody likes this.
  16. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

If you find that the plisoft is too soft the WD has slightly more background.

17. AFWoody

AFWoody Member

I went to the WD website, and they have some really nice brushes. I like how you can buy a knot of your choice or a handle. I do have one question, if you buy the brush (knot and handle) does it come assembled. I would think it would, bu had to ask.

18. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Yes. Larry takes every order via email and discussion with you once you place the order. You can actually email him ahead of time if you have questions.

19. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Larry has some of the best customer service I've seen. You can get it assembled or apart. I have a burgundy synthetic 20mm set to standard height. It's my favorite brush.

20. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

YES!!!(and I am a badger guy to)...its not as soft IMO as my HMB but everything I like about the badger this thing does....I only bowl lather.