Thinking Ahead....

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Tedolph, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Whether or not Goebbels, et al, shaved with this soap, is a question better asked of Simon Wiesenthal.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    As Speik just celebrated it's 90th birthday, it is almost a certainty that their output in the first years of the company probably went exclusively to the German Wermacht, whether the company had any choice in the matter is debatable.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  3. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

I am OK with the Wermacht (I understand that they hated the SS) so Spiek is still on the list. I am leaning towards Proraso Red but the Green was such a disappointment I have second thoughts about the Red. TOBS and maybe Seaforth! Heather are there, as is VDH etc. My NOS Seaforth! mug has an I.D. of about 2.75" so a hard soap refill wrapped in paper or a box would be ideal.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    If your reservations are about the scent, Red just smells like a light sandalwood. Performance is the same.

Tedolph, Frijolero and brit like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Course Patton might have, too. I'll ask Ike. Oh right, he isn't available for comment-neither is Patton for that matter.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

proraso wood and spice from their single edge line is nice,and a great performer.
    come in a tube or a 9.5 oz bag..
    images.jpeg

7. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

That Seaforth! heather is an artisan soap. A croap, not a puck. And north of $20.

Maggard razors has samples of Proraso red and TOBS if you just want to stick a toe in the water.

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  8. Tedolph

I could live with that. A&E was a big disappointment in performance. My expectations for Proraso are not so high.

brit likes this.
  9. Tedolph

Well, scratch Seaforth! off the list.

brit likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    ...and nobody ever mentions that despite being named "wood & spice," it's loaded with eucalyptus, which causes people who react negatively to menthol (like me, just can't abide the chill effect) to dislike this as well.

Perhaps I'm overly sensitive to the scent of eucalyptus.

Edit: I will admit, grudgingly, that the Porazo Single Edge line shows an improvement in performance compared their regular shave creams.

brit and Tedolph like this.
  11. Tedolph

OK, Speik in a tube, Proraso red in a tub, and VDH Deluxe are running neck and neck. Which one would go best with Clubman Classic?

Your opinions please.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    brit likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

i never thought about the chilling effect..good to know..:eatdrink047: