Thinking of a shavette leaning towards a feather ss

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Enrico, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well the title says it all. I don't want to go to a SR due to honing and stroping (I'm lazy), so I'm thinking shavette. Two I'm thinking seriously are both Feather SS.
    sr-fea-f12521212-1.jpg
    sr-fea-f12520212.jpg

Thought, opinions, and options would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Keithmax likes this.
  2. nathan

nathan Active Member

I have only shaved with a feather ss for the last 3 yrs I switched from a orange bic. I use the professional blades. I LOVE IT

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

AaronW1983 and Enrico like this.
  3. George X

George X Well-Known Member

I have a growing inventory of SRs that I absolutely love to use when I have time for them. I also have two shavettes...A Parker and a less expensive equinox. I love the equinox as it was easier to use than the Parker. That said I too have contemplated a feather ss and am interested in hearing what others may have to say about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enrico likes this.
  4. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Great little shaver.

No pressure means no pressure with this little fella. I have heard it said it is less forgiving than a straight.

RyX and Enrico like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Which one do you have the folding or non folding.

nathan likes this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I also looked at the Focus Al shavette, but found from some that it wasn't as friendly as the Feather SS.

George X likes this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Let's just say there's less margin for error when using a shavette vs a straight razor.

RyX, Enrico and SharptoothC like this.
  8. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

That'll work.

I yield to your experience. :happy088:

Enrico likes this.
  9. George X

George X Well-Known Member

While using...I think my Kropp I experienced the margin of error and wore it proudly on my cheek for about a week as it healed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enrico likes this.
  10. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I would agree with this. I own a Feather and can now use it effectively, but yielded my fair share of blood to it along the way. Check out the CJB Kamisori from Korea. It's much cheaper and can use the same blades. It's not as pretty, but I prefer the blade angle it provides.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RyX, Keithmax and Enrico like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I was wondering about that one as well; thank you for confirming my thoughts.

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I am TSDs most frequent shavette user. I prefer the Parker SRX to anything Feather or CJB. If you have any questions or need help, tag me.

RyX, Enrico and Keithmax like this.
  13. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Angle? Being a straight-ish razor, isn't the user responsable for the angle?

FWIW I too don't want to spend time maintaining a straight. I've got my Feather AC kamisori style a few years ago, as well as a straight razor. On thing for sure is the Feather blades are REALLY sharp and awesome! I keep getting the feeling my straight isn't sharp enough... I can't say I use either a lot, or even regularly, but I'm able to shave with both, but I don't get that the real straights are more forgiving. Do people say that because shavettes are sharper?

Anyway, I think you won't regret trying out the Feather.

SharptoothC likes this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Between the CJB, Feather SS and DX I prefer the DX then the CJB and did not like the SS. The Feather SS has a lip by the edge which drove me crazy, it is supposed to provide more protection but instead encourages more pressure and a strange angle. The Feather DX and CJB are similar with the only difference being the quality of the spring and finish. The DX and CJB feel kind of like a straight razor wedge, kind of.

Per the comments above shavettes are less forgiving but can also provide an expensive shave once you master them.

PickledNorthern and SharptoothC like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Shavette blades are both thinner and sharper, and can penetrate skin without sensation. They don't really catch and tug like an SR giving the warning to back off, at least in my practice with them.

16. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

@Metro, this is what I was referring to. Keith described it really well. Yes, you are responsible for angle, but the lip on the Feather forces you to go to a steeper angle to get blade contact. I figured it out and use it now, but the CJB is, to me, a more comfortable and intuitive shave. I

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

George X and Keithmax like this.
  17. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Ah! Then both those statements make sense to me now. Thanks fellas!

SharptoothC likes this.
  18. nathan

nathan Active Member

folding

SharptoothC and Enrico like this.
  19. nathan

nathan Active Member

I have the folding as in the lime green colour. like I said I went straight from a disposable bic to

Enrico and Keithmax like this.
  20. nathan

nathan Active Member

the ss there is no doubt it is sharp when I first used it it took me about an hr but now I shave every or every other day using it I can shave 3 times. with across against in around 10 mins. once your used to it it's fine. as for the angle and the lip and all that I can't really comment as it all I have ever used. but I can tell you I love it

Enrico and Keithmax like this.