Thinking of moving to South Carolina

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Redfisher, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I'm just about ready to get out of the old folks home called southwest Florida. Looking at the Greenville area. Anyone have experience with this part of the country!

Keithmax likes this.
  2. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Yes, lived in Easley for about ten years, They have something that may be strange to you,... snow!

Redfisher likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    We lived in the Greenville area for 35 years. It is very nice. We lived in Travelers Rest which is about 10 miles northwest of Greenville. Greenville is a growing town. You should go spend a week there and see what you think.

DaltonGang, Paul76, Redfisher and 2 others like this.
  4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Greenville is super nice. Do your research though, there are some really, really bad parts of South Carolina. We lived in Charleston (Summerville) for a few years and it wasn't horrible but it was a lot better to visit than it was to live there. I-26 is a mess and parts of it have some of the highest death rates in the country and its podunk compared to a lot of the other notorious traffic areas.

My son is stationed in Charleston and my daughter is a senior at Uni of SC. She likes Columbia well enough. We didn't dislike it but it isn't in our top three on the list of places we've lived.

5. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Traffic in Columbia is awful!

I-85 is a Death race!

Go a bit farther and look at Hendersonville or Asheville North carolina, lot's to see and do around those parts. :happy088:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    battle.munky and Redfisher like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

God's blessings to you. I'm as far south as I would ever want to be!

TobyC, Redfisher and PanChango like this.
  7. Redfisher

I was in Greenville last August for the solar eclipse. That's what got me interested. I would like to have seasons again instead of constant heat and humidity. The mountains are good too. Florida is just flat. I going to go up there this spring and have a closer look.

178-bplatoon, Enrico and TobyC like this.
  8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Excellent time to go. Try early spring/late winter if you can, just so you can feel the nip in the air still. It's nice, especially when you didn't realize it was still there. I lived in Central FL half of my life. The oppressive heat and humidity never let me experience a real winter. It isn't like the Greenville area gets so much snow that it is burdensome either.

Redfisher likes this.
  9. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

New Jersey!!! Gadz! :eek:

Just kidding! :D

Redfisher likes this.
  10. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

When stationed in the Carolina's while in the Army I often visited the western parts of both North and South Carolina. I always thought that region would be a good place to live. If you want the beach it was not that far to drive. Being a four season kinda guy I can understand wanting to enjoy that again. They get snow there but not that much. The BBQ is great too. Although I prefer the North Carolina style.

Redfisher likes this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I lived in Charleston for about a year and a half; that was one of the thing I got tired of ... no real change of seasons. I was looking at Greenville due to mountains and snow. The only down side is I heard the economy isn't so good, but like the weather ... it changes.

Redfisher likes this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Dad was in the Air Force. I was born in Van Buren, Maine. Three years at Eilson AFB, Fairbanks, Alaska. Off to Rome, NY, right there in the snowbelt. Back to Maine, then back to upstate NY, back to Loring AFB, Maine (not far from Van Buren). Dad retired in '78 from Loring and we moved to Dover, NH. I graduated in '80 and joined the Air Force. Two years at Wright-Patterson in Ohio, three years in central Germany, finished out my 20 here in New Jersey back in 2000. God has plans and He wants us here. So here we be!

Yeah, lots of cold and snow. Don't like the heat and humidity of the south. Beautiful country, to be sure. Nice to visit, wouldn't want to live there.

But if God should get other plans...

13. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Lots of nice places in UpState. If you do go up to visit be sure to wander around the area.

Redfisher likes this.
  14. Redfisher

I'm planning on it. I have a week of vacation but might stay longer.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

15. Redfisher

Economic things are strange. Here for instance things appear to be booming. If you are a builder or something related it's good. Finding employees is the hardest part and if the Hispanic people weren't here they would be hurting for workers. Most everything else is service related, and those jobs don't pay all that well. See the problem here is that the snowbirds drive up the home prices so much that the locals can't afford to get a home. I'm sure similar problems exist everywhere. I'm in the trades as an HVACR guy so I've never had a problem finding a job.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

16. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I had triple bypass surgery in Greenville 16 years ago.

Enrico likes this.
  17. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Stay off Woodruff Road. Seriously. Those folks cannot drive. I-85 is just as bad. I used to date a gal in Greenville, drove from Texas to there twice a year. She tried to talk me into moving there when I retired. Thank (insert favorite deity here) those plans changed. I'd be an idiot to leave Texas.

Enrico likes this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Ok, did Greenvilles lifestyle cause your health issues? Or, did Greenvilles wonderful medical care save your life?

battle.munky and TobyC like this.
  19. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Jayaruh, I grew up in Greenville then moved to TR in 1992. My parents are still there. Small world!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Redfisher and Jayaruh like this.
  20. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I have lived in SC my entire life, and grew up in Greenville. I'd love to get back there. It's exploding. My family is all there, and every time I go back I want to move back more and more.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Redfisher and Jayaruh like this.