This Is Insane

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is like refinishing an old rifle of something of that nature. Sucks . I fully understand that things are worth what people pay for them.. but usually items in original condition hold more value then reworked. That is true in weapons and antique furniture I know.
    Then again I care more about how something works then how it looks most the time.

Someone pointed out that most of these replated razors are not marked in anyway. So when the new owner turns around to sell them a newbie might pay a premium price for a NOS razor that is simply a replate.

2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I've had many discussions with these two, in fact they popped up in this very thread, and they flat out refuse to do the ethical thing. Buyer beware clearly applies in this case.

I tell you I better not run into one of these re plates re sold in the future.

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yea I agree with that. Maybe they can sell them to Reynoldsart or get that couple that looks like they are shill bidding to help them out. If the wife has ever stopped crying about our treatment of her.:D

4. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

Give me a break!
    They're razor not classic cars, Gillette made millions of them.
    If they were classic cars or firearms you'd have them appraised.
    I for one wouldn't buy a replated TTO, if I was going to go that route I do the work and have it replated myself.
    Quit whining, he's not ripping you off and his customers seem to be happy with their purchases.
    A worse fate for these old razors is the widows who throw them in the trash when their husband die

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

now that was fun:D

6. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

You should be marking your re plated heads as well Bob.

7. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

Sue me.:happy102:taunt005
    It's easy to tell they've been replated, the plating is 10 times better then the original plating. "Better Then New" for real.:happy088

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Although I agree with marking re plated razors.. I do have to say that Bob there is a bit different, He is using a replayed part to make a new and unique item. With top notch craftsmanship. More like restocking a M48 Mauser. I have no problem if they are refinished if used like that. More problems with the original ones that are not marked as replated.

Double standard.. perhaps.. but then again I am getting all old and cranky they tell me.:rolleyes:

9. brz90

brz90 New Member

I bought my second razor off Steve29702 (or whatever) a nice clean slim adjustable at an excellent price and my feedback is part of his 100% score along with 800+ other totally satisfied razor buyers. To me he seems like a really decent guy who is being rewarded in some small way for being enthusiastic about saving old razors. The prices he's getting for his razors now are higher than when I bought mine but surely that's because the product is pretty much always really great, not like much of the **** sold on the bay. For once you're not taking a chance on buying a razor off ebay because with him what he says is what you're going to get for sure.
    Now I don't mind taking a chance and I often do because that's the way to a bargain and I don't need an old razor to look like it's a new one, but some do and Steve gives them that option - which is actually fine by me.
    Am I going to buy one of Steve's replated razors some day thinking it's mint NOS? What are the chances of that - without a box, without a blade pack, without an instruction leaflet - I just don't think it's going to happen.
    (Apologies that one of my first/few posts is to join in a controversial thread.:))

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

No apologies needed. We mostly jump in swinging anyway.:D Welcome to the Den if I have not said it yet.

I stand by what I have said.. He is probably a great guy.. but I think the razors need to be marked as replated. But then again I like Williams soap.. Colgate soap..Aqua Velva.. Clubman Special Reserve, and percolated coffee. Not everone agrees with me on those things :)

11. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

To lead the fight against the crime of razor replating fraud BRW will from this moment forth scribe each vintage razor head that I have replated with RP.
    [​IMG]

12. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

That's the spirit Bob! :D

Heck just think of the benefits of having your own easily recognizable brand. A stamp of BRW would be instantly identifiable to us in the know as one of Bob's Razor Works fine products. Win, win, win. ;)

13. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

RP could also mean that the razor is a knock-off from the Republic of the Philippines.

14. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

I dunno Bob. Maybe if you could get a stamp or something. Handscribed doesn't look so great. Maybe a stamp mark like just a v or any kind of mark as a sig. No idea where you would get such a thing. Maybe a tiny little chisel and make a + ??? As you can see, I have little imagination!!! :happy102

MT - is that you in that thar picture????

15. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Cooncat,

I like your idea but I agree with Rocketman that something like a stamp with RP or some sort of symbol mark would be better.

My thinking on the hand scratched RP could be used by some unscrupulous seller as a selling point. The original owner scratched his initials into the head of the razor. This maybe a reach but it is a possibility if I was able to think of it.

Thanks to for wanting to be honest and for keeping guys who buy your replates honest. It is a shame that you need to do it.

16. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Here is one for those who want a laugh... I sent a vintage open comb slant out to be plated in Rhodium. I marked the inside of the head with an R before sending it out. I then found out that since the top piece of the head is Zinc, I can't have it plated. :(

17. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

I'm not really inclined to wack a curved piece of metal with a hammer or having a custom stamp made.
    The carbide scribe does the intended job.

18. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

Zinc's a nightmare, I'm having the same problem with 2 slants I got from Chessman.
    BTW. The blade platform is zinc too.
    No problem to replate as long as the top plating is intact, but if any zinc is exposed it will foul the solution and piss off the plater.
    They have to be copper plate 1st.
    I'm refusing to work with zinc in the future.

WhyAreYouMe likes this.
  19. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

20. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Yeah that whacking thing makes sense. You get in some guy's razor for replating that grampa used to own and 'wham' - trash. Yeah, that might be a problem!

MT - I am glad that is not you. I have an image in my head and that is not it. Mmmm. Maybe yer not a cyclops though? hehehehe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.