This Is Insane

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. First of all.... LOL! :happy102

Secondly, I am not a DE purist. I don't give a rat's buttocks about the integrity of a razor's condition. I know, I know... the hottest places in DE hell are reserved for people like me... but at the end of the day, there are 2 things I want out of a razor:

1. A good shave.

2. Something shiny to lay out on my counter.

I really like my razors to look nice. I just do. People restore straight razors all the time. They replace the scales and they shine them up, etc. So, why should DEs be exempt from makeovers?
    I have 2 DEs at the moment (the last DEs I ever plan to buy) and both of them shine like the dickens. I went to the trouble and expense to purchase a Mergress instead of a Progress because I didn't want the little plastic thing dangling off the end. I wanted metal.

If you've got Vince Lombardi's razor, don't mess with it. If you've got Joe Blow from Show Low's razor, who cares if it gets replated? As for the cost...? Well, its only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.
    The value of these items does not simply rest in their efficacy, but in a plexus of totally subjective intangibles.
    The replated items are very bright, whereas the vintage items often show a bronze tone that downplays the silver. Maybe that dull silver looks dirty against my shiny new faucets... who knows?

Personally, I like shiny. I'd pay extra for shiny. I've bought things I know are a little overpriced because I like them and I wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to get them again. Like I said, value is subjective.

2. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

Mmmmm! Shiny Things.:drool:love008

3. steve29702

steve29702 New Member

Guees I am back also

Hi all! Being mtgraling said he was out and still here I thought I would come back also! I can't help but read about the comments on my razors I replate. First of all, cooncatbob , I really appreciate your support and also some others on here. I would just like to clear a few things up.
    1) Why would I mark a replated fatboy when if you look at the picture, you can see that the spacer ring is now replated with nickel and no black paint? Brass is under the black paint on an orginal razor. Read description.
    2) If you are a collector and know your razors, have you ever seen any this shiny and the butterflies this smooth?
    3) If I did have a worn floppy razor and doesn't tighten down that last 1/4 turn, I won't list it!
    I have never had a worn out razor yet! I have had 2 broken that was locked up and 2 that the butterflies would not tighten down. Where are they? In a box where I thought I would sell them for parts.

I am not sure why mtgraying thinks they all have to be worn to replate them. What happens when one was used 50 years ago and never washed? It isn't worn, but the finish goes bad just like not washing a new car and let it sit. Tools, chrome wheels, jewerly, about any type metal with a finish does it, but there not worn! I wish someone would see how smooth a replated razor works. Remember there nickel plated to start with, the nickel might wear some on the butterly holes or inside the TTO knob, but when I strip it and replate it, that nickel is put back. There is no wear in my replated razors and they all lock down that last 1/4 turn.
    So, I do not mark a fatboy because I am replating over the spacer ring that was black and brass underneath the paint. I consider that is my mark! If someone tries to paint over it to make it look like before, it isn't going to stay on the slick nickel and the paint is not like 50 years old. Yes, I do mark the slim adjustables on the inside tip of the TTO knob with copper plate. (Mtgrayling knows this as I told him before from ebay emails) Red tips, I made a tool that I take the screw out of the TTO knob, it is plated with copper. Super speeds, if I do replate one, it also will have some copper plate up in the TTO knob inside. But, anyone that knows razors, you can tell a replated razor if I have replated it. The nickel I use is as bright as chrome, not any were manufactured that way.
    I am sure there will be more complaints as not everyone can be satisfied. And no, you can't get rich doing this. I just know one day these razors will be gone and I will not throw any away. Have you read up on how brass is porous and how germs live in and on it? I don't want to to shave with or sell a razor that will make someone sick. I sell my razors to use, read bottom of description again.
    I will continue to replate the "brass" razors as long as I can. Seems 99% of people like them from all the emails I get and 100's wanted me to replate theres because of brass.
    Good luck to all of you collecting razors! It is fun and I have my share and I am not here or replating to cause trouble. What do you call it, going green? :D

4. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

For a collector a replated razor is worthlessly, but he is good for a user. If in the description it is pointed out that the razor is re-plated and re-colored, then it is fair for all. I´m only confused about the alltime high bids :confused:

5. steve29702

steve29702 New Member

Most sell International

I start my razors off at $0.01 ( that is why) and free shipping. I have 100% feedback, my razors are always cleaned, sanitized and look the best possible. I have been selling along time and I can be trusted you know? I won't sell any junk like I have seen. If your suggesting shill bidding, that is low and wrong and would never attempt it. Not one buyer has ever accused me of that. The main reason, I sell International; UK, Canada, Germany, Italy, Australia, and others bid way more money than the US bidders. Over 95% I sell ships International. UK and Germany is the top bidders.

6. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

:happy102

7. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

I got to get in on this.
    How's brass more porous then other metals?
    Razor are made from brass because it's easy to machine, and plated because brass tarnishes.

8. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I would like to add a couple grapes (yes, I said grapes, like the soda).

1. Why do you and your wife keep referring to the razors as useless and worthless prior to replating them. I'd love my child if it was ugly. You should do the same. Dont discriminate. Its not about looks, its about THE SHAVE.

2. Its not about today. Its not about tomorrow. Its about 10 years from now when somebody takes one of those fatboys or what have you, puts it in a box, and calls it NOS. Sells it on ebay for a super amount of money and refuses to give a refund if the person catchess that its a fake.

And stop complaining.

9. JayKay

Bob, whats that head from on the razor with the wood handle you make?

10. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Just an interesting bit, Brass and Copper are antimicrobial metals.

11. JayKay

Silver as well. But theres a reason they dont use them for surgical tools.

12. steve29702

steve29702 New Member

Your right, brass is soft too, wears fast and dents easy. Nickel is some kind of hard. Ever noticed how hard to bend the copper wire after you take it out of the plating tank? I am sure after a thick coat of nickel it helps with the razor in some way. Plus, the copper coat is under it also.
    check this out:
    Sorry, wouldn't let me put a link so here it is copied and pasted:

Watch Out Bacteria: Copper Kills Germs
    Talk of the Nation, January 16, 2009 · New research suggests that using copper for some surfaces could decrease infections acquired in hospitals. Michael Schmidt, a microbiologist at the Medical University of South Carolina, explains the findings and how they might be applied.

13. steve29702

steve29702 New Member

First, you don't hear me complaining, I came here because of the "complaints" like yours to try and explain, but like I said some can't be satisfied and just like to stir up trouble. Rake out the others replating also, at least I am honest! If they want to try to sell it as new, that is them lying, not me. Ask questions, request pictures, don't just buy something without asking and not looking at it. If you can't tell replated from standard factory, I advise don't collect them. Millions of razors out there and my 10 I replated? hummmm:confused:

14. riffin

riffin Active Member

There are two points you might want to think about:

1) IF you know your razors it may be obvious that yours are replated and recolored. I am SURE you are not out to deceive anyone into thinking they are getting a NOS or mint razor. Even a common Fatboy in that condition is interesting to collectors and worth some money. While Fatboys are not rare, a Fatboy in Mint condition is, at a minimum, uncommon -- maybe rare and has some level of collectibility.

BUT "collector" covers a WIDE range of experience and knowledge. Every serious/expert collector started out with little or no knowledge. Even semi-experienced or novice collectors can easily miss some of the details you are talking about. A budding collector who spends top dollar on one of your razors THINKING he is getting a collectible, even if it is not by your intention or fault, may be turned off from collecting.

As pretty smart and observant novice collector myself, I would have overlook the spacer detail, and the copper plating inside the knob if you didn't mention it. I WOULD have noticed an extra marking on the underside of the head.

2) Other unscrupulous sellers may be buying your razors and then selling them as collectibles. Who knows. Maybe they even replace the replated spacer with a black one from an otherwise worthless, razor. Maybe they just prey on the beginner and novice collectors who lack the expertise to know better. They would probably be willing to pay more than someone looking for a good user's razor.

Marking/branding your razors would prevent all of this. It would be a huge benefit to your "clients" as they would not have to auction against crooks and they would know they are getting EXACTLY what they want: a high quality USER's razor, as opposed to a collector's razor which some can argue should never be used. It would be a HUGE boost to you integrity, which is worth a lot more than money. And it's not hard to do.

I don't really see the down side.

15. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Well - no shortage of opinions here!!

Steve - if you are still checking this thread - would you mind indicating your reasons for not wanting to identify your razors? It seems you are rather opposed to it and it would be good to understand what your logic might be. (And no one has yet mentioned - if 'signed' these well done razors may become collectibles in and of themselves!! The Newer New Improved Gillette!)

People have mentioned numerous good reasons for doing so, yet you defend not marking them. It might be helpful for everybody (and me) if you could speak to your thoughts behind it and why you do not wish to 'sign' these extremely well done replates.

respectfully submitted

16. steve29702

steve29702 New Member

Hi,
    I can understand about the markings. I just didn't want to go engraving making a mark when the razors looked so good with no flaws. I also didn't know replating was going to cause so much trouble. I had so many requests asking if I knew anyone or did I replate razors. So, I gave it a try. I have had 99% support except for the 1% on this site.

To try and end this terrible replating situation, I will try out an old bent razor I have with my engraving tool and see what happens and how it does. It will be much easier than me marking them with copper plate anyway. Next I just hope I don't get complaints about putting marks on razors. I am not trying to be sarcastic or mean, it is just I seem to be getting all the hard hits when I thought I was doing something good.

Under the butterflies in the top of the razor will be RPSW, RP-replated, SW- my initials..

Anyone agree or disagree before I try this?

So, if anyone gets a hold of a shiny razor that looks new, look on top of the razor, if you don't see RPSW, it isn't mine. I will also state that they have been marked. As far as why I didn't state it in my description for the one's listed, I used to have it stated but I stopped replating a long time. I just plain forgot! I am not perfect in no way, just human. Just keep in mind, I don't replate many, almost all I sell is original, only some polished.

PS: I just noticed and I don't know how this below is under my name?!! So, ignore it, I am new! lol
    Vice President of the Lather Club

WhyAreYouMe likes this.
  17. riffin

riffin Active Member

Sounds great!

Steve, for my part, I really like the way your razors look. I think for people who want to use vintage razors that look really good, you are doing a great service. I think you are up front and honest about your intentions. I just don't want to see you effort go to support less ethical sellers down the line.

The tag, I think, is related to your post count. Occasionally the mods will put in a custom tag.

Oh, and welcome to the Den!

18. JayKay

Sounds good Steve. You're going to do this prior to plating, correct? It will be rather unintrusive that-a-way.

19. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Did nobody tell you? You won the election! As I recall, in your campaign, you and your running mate promised free Superspeeds to everyone!

Actually, the titles are automatically added, based on your post count, unless the mods give you a custom title.

20. JayKay

Mike is lieing. And it is not very nice. There is a secret negative subliminal message behind it. Dun dun dunnn......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.