Thoughts about our current existence

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Bama Samurai, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Example of control as safety:

Take a filled water bottle to an airport checkpoint. It will be confiscated as a potential explosive device. However, they won't dispose of it as ordnance. They will place your bottle in a trash can next to the checkpoint, alongside all the other potential devices confiscated that day by government agents. Instead of the bomb squad, the janitor will cart it off at 11pm.

That's not a political narrative about control. That's how total control works in real time. A system so well done that the citizenry fails to notice its absurdity of action.

My opinion:

It's theater at best. Might be a jobs program too. Think about when it started and what the economy was like. And what else had just happened.

I can't directly address your post, I'd be too political in my reply.

Redfisher, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Agreed, Chris. I apologize if turned this thread into something overly political. Those discussions tend to go downhill quickly, and that was not my intention. Since I can only influence myself, for the most part, my ultimate thoughts on the issue I raised center mostly around taking personal responsibility...kinda like being a defensive driver. 'Nuff said.

Let's rightly turn our focus to more serious issues confronting our current reality: hipster penguins.

1.JPG

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Even I am embarrassed by them. :(

4. Bama Samurai

It's, sadly, our current reality. I still haven't figured out how to discuss guns in the USA in a way that can't be interpreted as political endorsement or denunciation. And it's sad, because it's a serious and far-reaching topic that has been highly messaged in media, yet people never really examine much in personal life. I'm in the forks don't make people fat camp, but explaining why the other view is objectionable becomes clouded by the emotion in the various audience segments and devolves. Maybe we're actually confusing being sad over lives lost with the need to change a fundamental legal concept.

How'd I do?

;)

Redfisher, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  5. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

I avoid that "guns" discussion because I'm not smart enough to have it without things going downhill very fast.

Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Alex, did you pick up on the song I was trying to do???? (I sure hope so!!..at least you gave me a "like").

8. Paul Turner

How's this for fouling up song lyrics-instead of "I'm A Soul Man", I thought the words were "I was SO MAD".

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  9. Orville

Orville Active Member

Except you're making the assumption everyone understands the principal of mortality or that temporary insanity does not factor in. Not everyone has the right to control who lives and who dies in a given situation. If you can't spell your own name, tie your own shoes, or need help dressing yourself, the idea that you have a right to own a tool capable of taking multiple lives or even your own is rather illogical. Along side the intellectually challenged the mentally ill, blind, or folks with anger management issues really don't deserve a right to such a potentially dangerous tool.

The problems that exist surrounding this dilemma are not easy button questions and answers, which is why our society has so much trouble answering them. Reality, policy, and virtue are just as much of a commodity as corn, soy beans, or flat screen TV's.

When everything is a commodity, nothing is sacred anymore.

This is why policy no longer works in modern society, reality changes to suit policy instead of the other way around. Those with the most gold decide not only policy, but reality as we see it(not as it is).

The idea that a more efficient killing machine has nothing to do with how many people die in a given situation is not at all a sound one. This is why we limit who can have explosives, serve in the military, or law enforcement.

To even try to claim only one side of the issue is emotional is not at all accurate either and does not help at all if the goal is to find a solution.

barbersurgeon likes this.
  10. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

11. Orville

Orville Active Member

Looks like I'm not the only one that did. So why is this thread still up ? How would I know not to reply to this thread when it remains open for discussion ?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  12. Bama Samurai

Discussing the underlying philosophy of your dissatisfaction is cool. Espousing an inherently political talking point is a different thing....

Discuss the reality, don't start fights over reality.
    Respect your opponents.
    Pratice loyalty to a code...

And its all ok.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    AGHisBBS and MntnMan62 like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Not political, but a rebuttal of my anarchic philosophy.

I'll agree to disagree.

Would love your contributions to this thread.

RyX likes this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

On my last trip and US one of my Korean friends forgot he had two beers in his backpack as we went through security in the airport. They gave him the option of drinking them or turn them in to be thrown away. In true Koran fashion he drink them both.

“Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

CarlfromMO, AGHisBBS, RyX and 2 others like this.
  15. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

That is awesome!

AGHisBBS, Keithmax and jason koonce like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

I have a problem when this goal is forgotten and managing the crisis becomes the paradigm.

My daughter is working with a Manager who has been elevated to just beyond her competency. Everything is putting out fires. There are no proactive decisions being made. Frustrating when she sees the solutions, but can't get the Boss to fix the problems.

that would be great.jpg

Redfisher and AGHisBBS like this.
  17. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

No doubt she also insists on using the wrong cover sheets for the TPS reports despite having read the memo.

AGHisBBS, BaylorGator and RyX like this.
  18. Paul Turner

Someone at the gym put up the That Would Be Great poster, in reference to"............if you could return the weights to their proper places".

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  19. Orville

Orville Active Member

Only systems managers get the promotions. This serves the usury/finance crowd much better than people trying to invoke common sense, or heaven forbid, "ethical solutions".

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2018
  20. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Captureporky.GIF

Paul Turner and RyX like this.