Thread moderation

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by Flanny, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Flanny

Flanny Member

When a thread or post isn't derogatory or crude or not within the proper forum I would think it would be a common courtesy to discuss any "edits" the moderator desires to make with the post with the author BEFORE making them.

. . . Unless this forum is primarily for the moderators and administrators. Thus then I would be mistaken.

I don't appreciate my threads/posts being edited simply to suit a moderator's personal preference then being told about it after the fact. If I title a thread for comical purposes and you chose to censor me just because you like things one way versus another, all you've done is prove to me that this isn't a forum that can be enjoyed. There's no need to be overly anal over harmless, unoffensive material that's not out of forum, etc.

If this forum is subject to such censorship please let me know now. I don't need the grief of worrying about power tripping moderators and can find friends elsewhere.

Thank you.

2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I don't know what happened obviously but I know that mods here are pretty upstanding people.

However it is of my personal opinion that this matter should have been dealt with through PM's rather then an open post about it. Perhaps a private discussion with the mod involved would have yielded positive results without having to bring this sort of matter into the public domain.

Drama never helps anyone, just the way I see it.

Edit: Just for clarification on another reading of my post, my comment is directed towards you Flanny, not the mod involved since as you said the mod sent you a PM after the fact. I don't think you yourself needed to start the thread to get your message out when you could have PM'd the mod for a private discussion.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I don't even know what this is about?? :confused:

4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

JoAnna, Ken, I think we mods try to be very understanding, yes?

5. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

They say that a good test of an arbiter/mod is when you don't even notice they are around. In that way, you are very easy to ignore Jeff. :rofl

Tu sais que c'est juste une plaisanterie mon ami. :D:D

6. Queen of Blades

Am I easy to ignore, too?

Anyway, I think this whole situation must be a big misunderstanding. And I am still perplexed by it. :(

7. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I wish I could ignore you Jo.. but you haunt my waking dreams! :rofl

8. Queen of Blades

Good men always have good answers!:D

9. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

:o

10. Flanny

Flanny Member

This isn't the first time this has happened. Private messages served no purpose.

It's about moderators micromanaging "above and beyond" the rules under the pretense of "for the benefit of the membership".

I come here to relax, not to worry about some one who moderates things in extreme excess.

It's been nice knowing the majority of you but a couple of "bad apples" can ruin the whole experience.

I doubt I'll be back, with the exception of replying to pms if I feel it warrants.

Those who choose to stay in contact with me can do so by email.

Take care.

11. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

That is of course your call.

12. Queen of Blades

:confused: :confused: :confused:

13. Austin

Austin Member

Don't let the door hit you on your way out. :D

Seriously, as most forums, this a private site. We are all subject to rules and decorum of the site owners. Good luck finding a site that suits your taste.

14. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Glen. I can assure you, there are no power tripping moderators here. I'm sorry you feel this is an act of censorship, but in reality Scorpio was trying to do you a favor since their were two threads with the same title.

Moderators here have quite a bit they do around here. If it wasn't for the work the mods do here, this forum would be filled with people trying to sell you pills, change your religion, pick your political candidate, and post up some pics that I can assure you, nobody wants to see. They go through thousands of threads to keep this place civil. Most people have days where you come home from whatever it is we do in our daily lives, and ya just don't feel like logging onto the computer and looking at websites. When you're a moderator, you don't have that luxury. While the staff here loves, and believes in the shave den, i'm sure they all have those days.

When Scorpio changed your title, he was trying to do you, me, and everyone else a good service. Using the method you mentioned doesn't always work. I understand your desire that he check with you first, but we have no idea how long it may be before before you would have a chance to respond to such a pm. Then there's the time for the mod to receive the pm, and make the changes. Depending on our daily lives, something like this could go on for days before it's resolved. This was just a title change.... if someone were modifying your words in a post, that could be a different matter entirely.

Censorship must exist to SOME level in all forums that wish to remain family friendly.

I've also moved this thread to a more proper section of the forum.

15. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Well said Bobby.

16. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I have alredy sold my soul, twice. And if anyone posts a pic of a Gillette Fu**** again I'm quitting too :p

Seriously, I run a site too, and sometimes get "misunderstood" in my actions. I hope this all gets a happy ending and that it all is a great misunderstanding. I'd hate to see you leave Glen!

Be kind to eachother!

17. crackstar

mais biensure, Ken--meme ma femme m'ignore des fois, pas souvent, mais des fois, ca m'arrive!

18. Queen of Blades

Very well said, Bobby! :1respect

I'd also like to add, if this was more than a one time occurrence, why weren't the mods informed?

Anyway, if you have anything that needs to be brought to all the mods attention, there is a red triangle at the top right side of each post for reporting posts. Click that and write a small bit of text letting us know what your concern is. That way we all see it.

19. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Pauvre Jeff... :rofl

20. crackstar

c'est les femmes qui dominent, n'est ce pas? :rofl