Thread moderation

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by Flanny, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Oui :D

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Well...
    I sure hoped you PM'd Flanny before you moved his thread and I, for one, am hardly doing this for power, fame or glory.
    Just the measly little stipend you send me every week is plenty enough ;)

3. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Stipend? :happy102

4. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Raf laying down the HAMMER once again! ;)

5. Austin

Austin Member

He's my hero.

6. rick

I see a new CT in Raf's future

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Well, honestly, that's good news! As far as I know the only thing Raf did (and he had every right to do so!) was to change your thread-title to avoid any misunderstandings.
    We are moderators, allright, we are here to keep things up and running and in our line of duty we sometimes have to act. Where would it lead us if we, the moderators(!) had to ask the users for permission first before acting?

In my mind I see the following situation: A man gets held up by the police for some minor issue. Does the policeman have to ask: "Sir, may we pull you out and correct (whatever it is)"? Nope, they pull him our and do their thing.

That's what we moderators do, we keep things running smoothly and in order to do that, we sometimes have to act. In fact, we rarely "interfere" with threads, only, when there's absolute need. If you're not in consent with MINIMAL interfering (only when it's absolutely necessary) from our side, then, alas, your going away is not a loss to us but a gain :rolleyes:

Have fun looking for a more democratic, minimally interfering forum than we have here - I very much doubt you'll find it :p

8. herzi

herzi Active Member

Well said, Klaus. I often have to fight with such things in our forum, too. ::

9. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

:D

10. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

11. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

When I first read Glen's posts I thought maybe one of the neighborhood kids found his computer unattended and wrote all those things, pretending to be him. Something in his life, other than post editing, must really be exasperating Glen for him to respond this way. I have found him to be a considerate, compassionate, and generous man who would give you the shirt off his back for as long as I have known him.

The decision for moderation, as explained here on this thread, certainly falls under valid reasoning the way I see it and I can find no fault on the part of the moderators. I do not envision any of y'all as SS stormtroopers. Glen has always protrayed himself to be a reasonable person almost to a fault, so I am surprised that he has reacted this way... I only hope he is OK. His words don't sound like the man I thought I knew, and I would be sad to see him go over this misunderstanding on his part.

Glen, buddy, I hope you are ok. These are really great folks here and I'm sorry you don't see the reasoning behind their actions.

12. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Bill, that may well be the most thoughtful, well considered and compassionate post I have read on this, or any other forum. I don't know Glen. I don't even know what was written - or changed. But I wish him well.

One of the people I work with, a very nice lady, has this sig line on all of her emails;
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
    Something to think about.

13. rick

Yep. We just dont really know....

Thanks guys.
    Reminded me of a song I thought might be good to share

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgFrfT5V40I[/ame]

14. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Thank you Bill, very informative. Sometimes ya just don't know what another person is going through.

15. St. Croix

St. Croix New Member

Bill,

Nice post. I had no idea how "sensitive" you could be!:rofl

I don't think that Glen needs "moderating" explained to him. He is a moderator at SRP. And I do agree with Bill, his post is not indicative of the man I know him to be.

St. Croix

16. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Hold on...he is moderator at SRP??????

This puts a whole new spin on things

Raf

17. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Indeed. If this is true, (the whole thing with Glenn being a mod over at SRP) then perhaps his words ring out on a whole different level. It seems like he has a significant problem with the way this situation was handled.

18. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

The manner in which he reacted was not appropriate regardless of what he does for other websites. There is no problem in the way this was handled. Being a moderator gives him the insight of the work done. He flew off the handle for no reason at all. Being a moderator somewhere else does not gives him special privilege here or anywhere. The only significant problem here is in the way he conducted himself.

Raf

19. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

I never defended the way he responded. I merely said that perhaps he's correct, but the way he went about handling it might not have been the most effective.

In your opinion there was no problem with the way this was handled, but obviously someone else feels differently.

20. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

The only one I am aware in disagreement is him. and he misunderstood and mishandle the issue. We have a difficult job to do and I stand by my actions and the actions of every one of my fellow moderators. The situation was discussed and explained in detail. If you feel you need more satisfaction feel free to address any of the moderators and administrators via PM.

Raf