Three Shaving Related Products You Want to Try in 2014

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by GDCarrington, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

1) Gillette Fatboy - keeping my eyes open for my birth year/quarter.
    2) Straight razor shaving - working up the nerve to give it a try. I guess my first step is buying the razor - hope to research and find one I like in the first quarter of this year. I plan to search the posts here on TSD, but I'll accept any advice/suggestions on purchasing my first straight.
    3) One of my Rolls razors - probably just before I make the leap into straight razor shaving.

GDCarrington and JRod22 like this.
  2. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

1) D.R. Harris Windsor soap and splash; (Great! Just wish the scent would stay longer)
    2) TOBS St James soap and splash; (I had cream and cologne samples, loved the scent, hope the longevity is good on the splash!)
    3) Ikon Shavecraft 101. (Simply put, all I read is what I want in a razor!)

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Myrsol Emulsion is en route to me ;) CAN'T WAIT!!!!

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Here it is only near the end of January & I'm already 2/3rds through my list for 2014.
    I should'a made a bigger list. :p

Metro, JRod22, LifesShort and 3 others like this.
  5. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

1. Gem or Ever Ready SE Razor
    2. Semogue Boar
    3. HTGAM Shave Soaps

These are the 3 main items I wanted to try for 2014 and have received a SOC boar as a late Christmas gift (1st lost in mail) and waiting on a Damaskeene that I purchased on ebay and should be here end of the week. Looking forward to trying the HTGAM Bay Rum and Cavendish but will have wait a bit as I have spent a small fortune in the last 2 months on goodies.

Two of the three on the list have now been obtained but will probably be awhile before I pickup some HTGM. Not only did I pickup a Damaskeene I also purchased a MMOC in near mint condition. Also my SOC finally arrived but I also picked up an Semogue 830 and IBLE 2012 from fellow forum members.

update: Picked up 3 bay rums from a sale another forum and one of them was HTGAM Bay Rum. Excellent soap and can see why people give HTGAM high praise. Well be picking up the Cavendish and Gondolier soap sometime later this year.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    LifesShort and GDCarrington like this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I am 2/3 rds through my list as well. We may have to have another list and make this one for first quarter 2014! ;)

JRod22, ram57, John Beeman and 2 others like this.
  7. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I'm done with my list. The Jr and Cella are superb. I'm disappointed with the MMOC though. Its not as aggressive as its hyped up to be, has a slippery handle, and doesn't cut as closely as my other SEs and feels more rough.

ram57 and GDCarrington like this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The MMOC wore me out recently. I confirmed that I should do no head shaving with it. It is too aggressive for my skin. The ER 1914 had the same effect as well. Adjusted angles with both to get proper head contact but still got face weepers and some nicks on the head.

ram57 likes this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A Quarterly 'Must Have or Must Try' list…..I like it!

By the way, the two of the three products I have tried so far have certainly lived up to the 'hype.' The Martin De Candre is really a fantastic shave soap. The ikon slant not only does what a good slant-bar razor should do (shave incredibly close and comfortably), but packages it all in a macho, well-crafted stainless shaving tool. I can, however, see where the blade alignment can be an issue if one doesn't follow the recommended protocol when loading the razor.

10. michael54

michael54 Well-Known Member

Osage rub
    Gillette fat boy
    Tsd iced sub zero

Cant seem to find a decent fatboy for a good price
    Ordered the Isz and some daed delinquent stole my package while I was at work this past November
    Probably gonna order the osage rub today lol

11. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Agree with you with both items. Martin De Candre is so good I use it sparingly and lately only on special occasions. I received an Ikon Slant for Christmas and find it to be a fantastic piece of work. First pass is close enough to get by as a daily shave for me but never beyond two is required. Haven't had any issues with blade alignment with either of my two Ikons (other is 2013 Dlx) so guess I have been lucky

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    GDCarrington likes this.
  12. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Well...I own the first two now! The M&F Finest is actually a 2XL + 29mm with NOS Rooney Finest hair. Both these brushes are fantastic in their own unique way. Still need to try that Spanish shave soap though...

JRod22, ram57 and GDCarrington like this.
  13. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

1 and 3 are in house. No.2 is later down the road this year. Need to clear out some soaps before I get another one. But the Valobra is first in my list still.

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Send me a PM, please.

swarden43, ram57 and CyanideMetal like this.
  15. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

1. Captain's Choice Bay Rum
    2. Captain's Choice Lime

3. Badger brush of some type

16. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Just so you know, an SE CAN hold more lather than a DE. You just have to look for the full and semi lather catchers such as the GEM Junior.

17. joshkamradt

joshkamradt Member

Oh i did not know that good to know, thanks for the input i do want a gem

18. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Stirling Glacier
    TSD Lanolin Shave Soap
    TSD M Bomb

Bobcat and GDCarrington like this.
  19. Boaz

Boaz Something different

1. Mühle R41
    2. Caste Forbes Lime Cream
    3. A vintage blade

GDCarrington likes this.
  20. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Update:

• Martin De Candre (after I win the Lottery)-Traded for two samples.
    • Gillette NEW Short Comb
    • Gen 4 Synthetic Brush-Muhle, Simpson (may be out in 2014?)-Simpson came out too expensive. Will see on the Muhle if and when. Love my Whipped Dog Gen 3 Synthetic.

GDCarrington likes this.