Thrift shop finds

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JayKay, Mar 16, 2008.

1. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

So I went down to the thrift shop today now that I'm back in New York for the week to check out the selection. I was broken hearted because they had a Dubl Duck with warped scales. If it wasn't for the scales being warped I would have bought it. As for razors... They had a very nice gold aristocrat (picture) in a box with a slight bit of bit of brassing on the edges of the TTO doors. Otherwise it is in perfect condition. What would/should something like this be worth? I want the razor but I want to haggle a bit. There was also a Super Adjustable (picture) in pretty good condition but again, not pristine. There was a Gem and a Gem micromatic (pictures) in really nice condition with no brassing or anything. I dont have much interest in buying one for my self because I cant find any single-edged blades and it just doesn't do it for me. Would anybody else be interested in these? I could pick them up for you?

If you guys could help me out on some good haggling prices that would be great. I think the Aristocrat was priced at 20 or 25, the super at 10, and I didnt check out the price of the gems but I'd imagine they're around 10 each.

Also, there was a gillette travel razor which looked like a mini ball ended tech that was in a black plastic-y zip up case that was a couple inches square and had a small picture of a DE razor in gold. Is this case original? What would something like this be worth in good condition? I don't think I'm interested but would anybody here be interested in it?

Attached Files:

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I had gone to an antique store in Tuckahoe. They had a Rolls Razor....with a broken hone......For......Wait for it......Wait for it.........250. Im not a big DE collector so cant really price stuff.....but i knew the 250 was a ripoff.

3. I have found Ebay to be a good source for market value for most items then try to pay less.

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

They sell for 5-10$ on ebay - with box and mintish hones :D

5. JayKay

One lady tried to sell me an autostropper for DE blades for 50$. I laughed.

6. fritz

fritz New Member

You didn't say how much it was. But if it's a Dubl Duck and the blade is in good shape then the scales can be fixed/replaced pretty cheaply.

7. JayKay

I'm currently doing the SER trial and I like straight shaving, but its a bit too much work for me in the long run I think to actually pick it up over DEs. I think it was 10$, I'm going back to check it out for somebody already. As I remember, the blade was in decent condition.

8. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

That's why I hired Mr. JayKay to score me the quacking razor :) Scales ain't no problem.

9. Padron

Padron Active Member

Wow,

Great finds, that gold one is Very Nice :D

10. JayKay

I think I'm going to pick up the aristocrat for my self and the dubl duck for moviemaniac. Anybody else want anything? I was going to get the super but I already have 2 adjustables and I'm not the biggest fan of them.

11. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Super adjustables are going for around $30+ on Ebay right now.

12. JayKay

Oh my. I better pick it up and sell it off on the forums.

13. minderasr

minderasr Member

In the last picture, the razor on the left, I picked up one of those for $1 at a flea market. It's mint too.

:)

14. JayKay

That would be a Gem. I think its the Micromatic. This was mint and on the cheap side but I didnt buy it because from what I've heard single sided razors are decently hard to find, the resale value is low, and I've got a bag of 50 brands of DE blades that I need to try. No use in starting up with another sort of shaver.

15. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

Don't be afraid of trying single edge blades as they're readily available...That said you shouldn't go that route..Too many things to try in the regular DE arena.
    I like the single edge open comb Gillette that I have but hardly never use it. :)

16. JayKay

I was thinking about it. I've made it through maybe 6 or 7 brands in my razor and brush giant sample pack. If I were to pick up shaving with a single edge it looks like I'd be paying 2.50 a pack of 5 from razor and brush. I think I need to make it through my double blade pack first. I have heard that the single edge razors do give some great shaves though. Could be a nice novelty. Fortunately not many people around my area picked up on the wet shaving boom and I bet those GEMs will be at the antique shop for years to come. If not, they're easy to find on ebay.