Thrift store Platinum Plus blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JBSharp, Nov 2, 2013.

1. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

Not an *amazing* find but nice. I found 10 blister packs of Gillette Platinum Plus blades. I did't know anything about them but grabbed them at .59 each. A little research after the fact says that they're pretty good blades. All of the blister packs are at least a little cracked around the corners, so the blades aren't truly sealed, but seem to be in good shape.

I figure these are from the late 70's. The one blade I've looked at is stamped with an H but that doesn't seem to help me date them. The original retail price was $6.

I'm anxious to use them but I'm tempted to save some for a PIF or sell them to get some money back in my PayPal account. One pack is well and truly open (packaging broken open on both ends) so I'll use at least that one while I decide.

IMG_20131101_232211_622.jpg IMG_20131101_225647_430.jpg IMG_20131101_225616_577.jpg

BamaT likes this.
  2. dave12b

dave12b New Member

Nice score. I've never found anything decent that was shaving related at a thrift store. Plenty of other great finds, but no shaving stuff.

3. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Outstanding score! An H date code indicates they were made in 1987. I just finished a pack of those that were made in 1982 (C) and they are great blades.

4. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

Thanks! I didn't think the Platinum Plus were manufactured that late, but I should have trusted the date code chart. Looking forward to shaving with them.

5. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I love those blades. They work very well for me. Very nice score.

6. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I've only found a NIB trac ii. And I go there a lot. Wasn't interested.

7. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Good find! I don't have any luck at all in thrift stores, glad that worked out for you!

8. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Nice, I'm still working thru two 10 packs I picked up on an auction site. They didn't work well for me on the first try but I put that down to bad technique on my part since they've been great since then. According to this site mine are 1970s'....http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierklingen/Rasierklingen.htm