Thuringian hones, prices and sources

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by moviemaniac, Apr 22, 2008.

1. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Howdy, gents,

please do excuse the generalization, but I do wonder what it is with all the Americans and those Thuringian hones. During the last months I saw many American gents pay outright ridiculous sums for these hones, some even went for a couple o' c-notes, which is just plain crazy. Even 100$ is way too much. Kees @SRP sells 'em for 60$ which is an OKAY price considering his efforts, but still way over what you can get them for.

All that talk about them not being available anymore, being of inferior quality to the vintage Thuringians is BS. These new hones work just as well as the old ones. Some have impurities, yes, but don't let them fool ya. The impurities are of a very soft material that doesn't harm your razor at all - just like the Nagura-slurry won't interfere with your blade.

So, here's a source for these hones. Don't let the name fool ya, they're genuine Thuringian hones and will most likely include the slurry-stone shown.

http://www.toolshop.de/product_info.php?products_id=2057&language=en

~30$ for the small version (15x5cm) and ~35$ for the big version (20x5cm) with a middle-sized hone also being available.

Doesn't that beat paying 300USD and more on ebay? :happy102

:eatdrink047

2. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Thanks! Looks very interesting!

Would you know if these are good for cutting down nicks in the blade? Or is it just too cheap not to get one of these?

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

My $.02: Forget about those diamond-stones for razors, I don't know many guys who have experience with those. For shaping the blade or cutting down nicks I can only recommend a Japanese stone in the 1000 range.

I'd recommend you to get one of these: http://www.toolshop.de/product_info.php?products_id=2675

Either the 800 or the 1000/3000. With the 1000/3000 combo stone (or alternatively the 1000/6000) and the Thuringian you should be able to hone just about any razor.

4. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

1000/3000 and a Thuringian ordered! Thanks!

5. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Nice resource. Thank you. Even with shipping, it'll be less than what most people would pay at auction.

6. Ragnost

Ragnost Member

Thanks Klaus 1000/6000 and Thuringian ordered should go well with the Welsh slate I’m waiting for
    Malcolm

7. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Klaus, you're the man! :1respect Thanks!

James.

8. blade13

blade13 New Member

Mate, how does the natural whetstone compare to belgian coticule? What grit is it?

9. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Welcome to The Shave Den, blade13!

The "natural whetstone" is considerably slower than the coticule but it produces a "softer" edge, feeling smoother on the face when shaving. Grit-wise they're in about the same range (~8000).

10. Ragnost

Ragnost Member

Got a mail from the Toolshop the natural whetstones are out of stock have a 4 week wait for them to arrive :sad023

11. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Four weeks? Wow, that's quite a long time!

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, blade13!

Don't miss the Newbie Give-Away! :happy088

13. Padron

Padron Active Member

Welcome Blade!

If you don't wish to wait you can get the MST Thuringens Here, it may be an option for you. :)

14. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Welcome to The Shave Den, blade13!!

15. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Welcome, blade13!

16. Ragnost

Ragnost Member

Thanks for the link Padron I buy a fair amount of my stuff of open-razor I have Wojtek saved in my fav sellers on E-Bay my last buy was some wars creams and a really nice marble handled brush
    Malcolm

17. Will

Will Nevermind

Nice, it is about time I got a hone and quit sending mine out.

18. Tony Miller

Tony Miller Member

MST sells two completely different stones. The NOS Thuringens are quite nice, the other "Natural Waterstones" are not Thuringens and are hit and miss. I sold some a year or so ago that were great and kept a pair for myself, I also have a stack here with what everyone calls "soft" inclusions that are as hard as glass. My supplier feeds me the same line to the point where I will no longer deal in them. Kees' stones are nice and the NOS ones from MST are fine, the others, well, buy at your own risk.

Tony

19. Padron

Padron Active Member

20. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Thanks for that info, Tony, good to know!

@Neale: These are the vintage Müller hones, they should be great!