Tired of dying...

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by urrlord, Feb 23, 2019.

1. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

Not me personally although it is a process we are all going through.

One night last week I came home at 3am from work.I decided to sleep in a guest room so I would not wake the wife and I would be able to sleep a little later.My 16 yr old calico cat Simmi(she was named after a demon in a book series and was the meanest acting little thing in the house) was asleep in the open bottom drawer of the dresser,curled up.All of the cats had been sick about 4 months ago and she never fully recovered and was sleeping a lot and not eating a lot..I sat beside the bed in a chair and took off my shoes and stuff .I left the room and heated up some late night lunch.When I came back and sat down Simmi tried to come to me she made it halfway across the room and fell over and could not get back up.She looked at me and meowed.So I picked her up and placed her on my chest so she could hear my heart.(that was her favorite place to be)I stroked her till she went to sleep.When I got into bed at 330am I placed her beside me under the covers and cupped my hand over her.My wife came in and woke me up before she went to work at 8 am.She asked me where Simmi was .I told her she was sleeping with me and pulled back the cover to show her.Simmi was gone.She was still warm so it had just happened.I cried like a baby for a while,then I got up and placed her in a box and went to work.

People at work tried to talk to me ,I just held up a finger and shook my head.If there was not a deadline on some things I had to take care of I would have stayed at home and took care of my girl.

16 years ago my wife walked outside to check the mail and came back in with a growling,fussing calico furball in the palm of her hand.My wife told me the kitten was by herself.I looked at the crusty eyes and runny nose and sighed.I said she has a respiratory infection and momma cat probably took her away from the rest of the litter to keep them from getting sick.And to take the kitten to the vet.It exasperated my wife a little because the kitten bonded to me.She acted the same just about her whole life growling and fussing whenever most people picked her up(usually not with me) acting mean as all get out.But it was all a show she never scratched or bit anyone.In fact cats show affection by head butting you.Simmi would get a running start from several feet away and head butt you.She was my baby girl.

I buried her the next day with her food dish containing cat food ,sandwich meat and coconut oil(which was one of her favorite snacks).I bawled some more.In fact the dogs came around to check on me.
    I miss her. . . .

This week our 17 year old Bombay cat Spooky-Tater passed away.He was a cat that we rescued 17 years ago when the people who had him split up and left him at their now vacant house.He bonded to my wife and she to him.He had disappeared a few times in the past and came back .One time he came back sick and was on meds a long time for kidney damage ,then he somehow got trapped under our house for a week and a half before we found him(bombays don't meow a lot or loudly).After that my wife would not let him out of the house.He got used to that.He liked to sit next to her in the recliner or at her feet in the bed.As an old kitty he had lost weight the last few years but he kept a good appetite.A few weeks ago he developed an abcess from a scratch or bite from one of the other cats.So I started feeding him special food with vitamins and echinacea etc and he showed a marked improvement and ate with gusto.This past Wednesday I got up when the wife did and I usually feed the cats when I get up.I went to guest bedroom where Spooky had been staying with a couple of the other cats and he was laying on the floor halfway between the litter box and the water and he was crying out.Bombays are a quiet breed and he was usually very quiet so that was disturbing.I picked him up and put him on his chaise lounge that he liked and gave him his special food.He took one bite and fell over on his side.I wrapped him in a towel cause he felt cold and sat down with him in my lap and stroked him til he started purring.I then put him on the bed and went and told my wife she needed to come and spend some time with him.She came and petted him and talked to him and got a heated throw.I put him in my lap wrapped in the towel and placed the throw over him.He went to sleep purring.I stayed like that for an hour and then placed him on the bed ,and did some housework until lunch.

I went to meet my wife for lunch but before I did I checked his heartbeat and it was nice and strong.I turned off the heated throw so he would not overheat.Then I met the wife for lunch.When I came home he was partway out from under the covers and cold.Dammit I did not want him to die alone.I cried like a baby again.I called my wife and told her and then called work and told them I would not make it to the staff meeting that was scheduled that day.I wrapped Spooky-Tater up and placed him in a box.She did her goodbyes when she came home.

I buried him the next morning with his food dish containing wet and dry food ,cheese,sandwich meat and a small container of milk.I cried again and the dogs came to check on me and a couple of them came over and nuzzled me.

It has been a lousy two weeks,I am tired of death.I know our furry friends have shorter lives than us but just damn.Two weeks in a row.But as my wife said these two came into our lives pretty close together and it seems fitting that they leave close together.They are buried close together.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Robert1955, Keithmax, gorgo2 and 13 others like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sorry to hear about your loss. Thank you for sharing their stories.

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've wept like a baby every time one of my pets die. Both feline and canine. I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

They may not speak word as we speak, but they give mountains of love we can can not deny.

God bless ........

5. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

I feel for you. It's always sad when we lose a furry friend. Your story started me thinking of my kitties that I've lost in the past and I almost started crying again. Thanks for sharing.

Robert1955, stuartganis and Enrico like this.
  6. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

While I'm not a cat person, I can truly sympathize with your pain. I have been fortunate enough to have had some wonderful dogs, rather they had me, losing them is exactly the way you described it.
    Just hold on to the memories, and cherish them. Godspeed .

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    So sorry for your losses. I, too, like cats. I grew up with cats, and we had a very sweet Siamese kitty our first three years of marriage. I was 27 when I realized that cats were the source of my chronic allergies. We adopted our Mier out and now I stay away from cats or take allergy meds.

8. urrlord

Thnk you people.
    This posting did a lot for me.

9. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Sorry for you loss. Pets are a part of the family. My son lost a horse that he had for about 6 years last May. He was fine till I lowered Remington in the hole with the backhoe forks. Then we both had a good cry. Remington was basically a rescue and was a gentle old man. He taught my son a lot and was his first horse.

brit, stuartganis and Enrico like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've wept and buried my share of pets, more cats than anything else. And I'll take a Calico over any other...I have one next to me now, her name's Jinx.

FWIW, and without going into detail because I don't know anyone else's beliefs BUT...upon losing a pet sometime over 10 years ago, a friend on the net explained to me that in God's ultimate restoration of the new heaven and earth, a fairly sound case can be made from (I think he said) the Old Testament in particular that all animals who suffered and died under the curse of sin will be restored. I wish I hadn't lost the post he sent me but I did, and I don't know if I was convinced, but it's a comforting thought that the Judge of all the earth, Who will do right, might do this as well. After all, it's our (Man's) fault that they suffer, not theirs. None of them are moral agents, unlike ourselves. So for them to have life again, because as we know they are indeed individuals in their own way, is comforting.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    brit, BigMark83, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  11. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Several years ago we acquired two kittens about six months apart. Each was about seven weeks old when we got them.
    Seventeen years later they died about six months apart with the older one going first and the younger one following.
    I’m curiously fascinated with the bonds that pets seem to have not just with us but among themselves.
    Sorry for your loss.

brit, Frijolero, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  12. urrlord

The hits keep coming.....

I headed out to work this afternoon and noticed a bird of a certain species standing on the shoulder of the road,I slowed and looked and there was one of our year old dogs.Hit by a car.I did a u-turn and gathered him up and took him home and placed him in a box.I know what I am doing tomorrow.

We still have adult cats and kittens, adult dogs and puppies.Some will go to other homes and some will stay with us and pass on and cause grief then.

I am getting emotionally drained

brit, Frijolero and Enrico like this.
  13. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Stay strong, mate. Sorry for your losses. I can understand this series is very hard on you. Keep them in your heart and they will never leave you. Wishing you and your wife all the best.

We got our dog in the animal shelter some 3,5 years ago. He will be 12 soon (we discovered he was born on the day my Dad died). He will leave a large empty space when he will pass eventually.

brit, Enrico and Frijolero like this.
  14. Old Grizz

Old Grizz Member

Understand and empathize Urrlord. Said farewell to many little friends. Our grief is the price we pay for having them share their lives with us. For a wonderful, but too short of time in my younger days, I was a ranch hand on a cow and calf ranch on the northern California coast. One morning I discovered that one of my ponies, an incredibly trained, fairly young cutting horse, had dropped right where he was standing, sometime overnight, due to a heart attack. In a very short time I had come to love and respect that entire string of mounts, but this one was very special. During my "interview" for the job, the foreman had me saddle up that pony and go do some cutting, of all things, of some of the breeder bulls. Pete and I instantly became a team and got me a much needed job and a life in an earthly paradise that day. So, when that morning came, I was devastated. The foreman made a comment in a very husky voice, that I will always remember. Ever since, whenever I incur a loss of a beloved friend of any kind, I always remember it. He said "The only ones who don't lose them, are the ones who never had them". And the ones who never have that kind of friendship, that kind of bond, will indeed never know. Theirs is the loss. You're blessed with a kind heart. I'm with you.

macaronus, Hembree, brit and 3 others like this.
  15. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

So sad when you lose a pet...we lost two cats in one year...I cried for a week and moped around for another week...I am a big strong guy..but not when I/we lose a pet... :-:)-(

CrustyCat, brit and Frijolero like this.