To Alum, or not to Alum

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by rweb82, Jul 8, 2013.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

It is indeed amazing :) I was, and am still, surprised everyday when I use it.

2. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

Well, my wife didnt make me sleep on the couch, if that counts for anything. :signs089:

3. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

After reading Bird's post about his father adding alum to aftershave I thought I'd try it. We'll see how it works tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

CJames and Woodekt like this.
  4. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

Should be interesting. Please don't blow up the house! :happy102: Seriously though, let me know how it works!

5. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Do you know if the powder Alum you buy in the spice isle is the same as the Alum from the block?
    [​IMG]

6. oscar11

No idea but interesting. I know the stuff above is put in pickles to keep them crisp.

7. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

i bought an alum block in a holder and received it today...just used it a few minutes ago after my shave....slight sting, rinsed it off and applied proraso splash and balm.

nice stuff. my face feels cleaner somehow...like a nice crisp type feeling. dont know if i will continue using it but for now i like it.

8. Justin Cook

Justin Cook New Member

Just wanted to post this here, supposedly if you're the type that stretches your face while you shave, if you wet your fingers and rub an alum block you are able to stretch your skin even if its wet/has shaving cream on it... I dont have one so Idk if this is true but someone should try it and post their findings!!!

9. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Nice...Did you get the sticky feeling or any white residue from using the AS with the Alum?

10. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I use it for deodorant, I think it's great for that.

11. oscar11

No I didn't. I put 1/8 teaspoon of alum block to the bottle (I'm guessing 4oz.) full of Stephan Bay Rum with a healthy dose of menthol crystals. I apply this to my face wet after rinsing off the soap, blot dry my face and fan with a towel. Very good skin care after application. I'm going to continue playing around with this (alum in after shave).

12. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Very interesting...Thanks for the info. I may have to try this out too. I'm sold on the properties and usefulness of alum, might be good to add some to my AS splashes. Did it seem to change the scent at all?

13. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

I dug this up on about.com

Types of Alum

• Potassium Alum
      Potassium alum is also known as potash alum or tawas. It is aluminum potassium sulfate. This is the type of alum that you find in the grocery store for pickling and in baking powder. It is also used in leather tanning, as a flocculant in water purification, as an ingredient in aftershave and as a treatment to fireproof textiles. It's chemical formula is KAl(SO4)2.
    • Soda Alum
      Soda alum has the formula NaAl(SO4)2·12H2O. It is used in baking powder and as an acidulent in food.
    • Ammonium Alum
      Ammonium alum has the formula NH4Al(SO4)2·12H2O. Ammonium alum is used for many of the same purposes as potassium alum and soda alum. Ammonium alum finds applications in tanning, dyeing textiles, making textiles flame retardant, in the manufacture of porcelain cements and vegetable glues, in water purification and in some deodorants.
    • Chrome Alum
      Chrome alum or chromium alum has the formula KCr(SO4)2·12H2O. This deep violet compound is used in tanning and can be added to other alum to grow lavender or purple crystals.
    • Selenate Alums
      Selenate alums occur when selenium takes the place of sulfur, so that instead of a sulfate you get a selenate, (SeO42-). The selenium-containing alums are strong oxidizing agents, so they can be used as antiseptics, among other uses.
    • Aluminum Sulfate
      This compound is also known as papermaker's alum. However, it is not technically an alum.

14. Weeper Warrior

So..It is the same, Awesome!

15. oscar11

No but the amount of menthol did, lol.

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

True. One of the main reasons I have an alum block.

17. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

For the past two weeks I've been using the Shavex 125g alum block post shave a as an underarm deodorant. I have been quite pleased with my results all around. I've had to be in Phoenix for work a lot this month, and I have yet to be able to generate body odor since using the alum block as a deodorant. I also enjoy the alum block after my shaves!

18. StevenML

StevenML Active Member

I only use the alum block on blood spots. It performs quite nicely, but it can boost razor burn if my skin's already irritated.

19. Weeper Warrior

What do you mean by boost, Appearance on the skin or burning of it?

StevenML likes this.
  20. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

I use my Alum Block from time to time.Depends on my mood.

Yesterday i bought an Alum Block that i use as Deodorant under my arms.

And man,it works absolutely fantastic.I love it so much.

tuxxdk likes this.