To brush or not to brush

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by TSimons, Sep 20, 2013.

1. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

Being new to wet shaving, I chose to keep my initial investment cost low and opted for a brushless cream, Musgo Real. Now as I understand Musgo Real works well either with or without a brush.
    As a new wet shaver, was this a smart decision? I find myself fighting the temptation to pick up a brush and bowl, or just a brush and lather on my face. Or would it make more sense to stay brushless and concentrate more on shaving technique then making good lather?

I know this is a YMMV subject, but I’d like your feedback on brush vs brushless shaving.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Well, as you said, "YMMV."
    As I like "old school" (I prefer fountain pens over ball points), I have to use a brush. For me it's just more fun and "authentic".

Sontag likes this.
  3. TSimons

Well, I think I have made up my mind to pick up a brush on Monday when I get the rest of my gear

BamaT likes this.
  4. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Resistance is frugal! :)

You might gain an interesting perspective by continuing without the brush but you'd also probably be thinking that you're missing something. Brushes are part of the fun, why delay the inevitable.

5. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

The brush is probably my favorite part of the entire experience...Just wouldn't be the same without.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Brushless shaving feels like a chore, while using a brush really immerses me in the experience. If it makes you feel better, you will use a lot less cream when you use a brush (by a factor of at least 3:1).

7. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

Brushes can be had at very reasonable cost. You do not have to seek out a high end brush initially. :cool:

8. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Get a good boar brush, like a Semogue , as they are not expensive and work swimmingly :)

BamaT and battle.munky like this.
  9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I honestly can't imagine shaving without a brush anymore.

10. TSimons

I ended up picking up an inexpensive brush at a local pharmacy when my razor came in. I'm pretty sure it's a synthetic brush. It does the job well enough but I keep find myself looking at boar, badger or horse hair brushes as an upgrade...

Why does this have to be so addicting?!

11. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

+1

The same for Omega.
    My first good brush was an Omega 48 pro. ( I still use it 3-4 times per week)
    It'll only set you back 10-12 bucks.
    Pair it with some Proraso in the green tub, or some Omega "Crema de Barba"
    in the black tub and you'll never look back.
    10,000 old school barbers in Italy can't be wrong.
    :D
    Happy shaving!

12. cswann1

cswann1 Member

I agree with the above posters that using a fine brush is a vital part of the overall experience.
    It's not hard to spend a little money on a nice brush when you consider all the money you save by not using cartridge razors and canned shaving cream.

Check Penworks website every now and then. They put brushes on sale a lot. I have a nice silvertip badger of theirs I got for $35 I think.

13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I started with a brush and soap before getting a DE razor. I'll never go back to not using a brush. Or back to a multi-blade razor.

Not only do both contribute to a better shave for me, but what used to be a chore is now an enjoyable endeavor.

KcHighLife likes this.
  14. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

Grab a brush and lather, you won't regret it! :D

KcHighLife likes this.