To scrub or to paint? That is the question.

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by DavidSeattleWA, Apr 21, 2008.

1. So, I received my Chubby 2 a few weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it. I definately chose the right brush. Now I'm eyeballing that Chubby 3! Oh yes, the addiction is beginning to manifest itself. The Chubby 2 is proving to be great for both soaps and creams. I can use either and the brush just gets loaded with lather.

As some of you probably know, the little insert that comes with a Simpson brush specifically warns the user about using a scrubbing motion when lathering. They suggest a "to and fro" motion and say that scrubbing can ruin the tips of the badger hair. My lathering technique is sort of a combination of painting and scrubbing. I do a little of both when I'm lathering up so it's not ALL scrubbing motion. But I still wonder about that warning and whether or not it's really something to worry about.

Do you guys see this advice as overkill at all? Or should I really heed this warning and follow the instructions? I happen to really like using a scrubbing motion when applying lather (not hard, mind you - but gently). I really do want my brush that cost me nearly $200 to last a very long time so I will stop scrubbing if I'm really wearing down my brush. I want to protect my investment! :D

Any thoughts?

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I think you'll be okay either way. They are well built brushes. The instructions on the inserts of many shaving related products tends to be either very conservative, very old school, or a combination of the two. IMHO atleast. Than again, I cant really afford a 200$ brush :D

3. I can't really afford a $200 brush either but I took the plunge. Quite honestly, I wasn't willing to skimp on quality and the Chubby 2 seemed to be just right for what I was looking for in a brush.

4. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I agree that the brush makers use a very conservative approach on explaining to you the "appropriate" way to use the brush. Using the brush this way will obviously garunatee the maximum life span out of it and avoid damage to the hair.

However, I am a face latherer when it comes to soaps and I pretty much use all my brushes rather aggressively with cicrular motions. I think as long as you properly clean and dry the brush between uses, you're not likely to see any negative effect. Sure the brush might last you 8 years instead of 10, but that's what SBAD is for anyways, right?

The other thing I take in to consideration is that I never use the same brush two days in a row. I always rotate through my brushes so they get plenty of time to thoroughly dry in between uses. That might not be an option for you right now obviously, but something to consider as you venture you way deeper in to wetshaving addiction. The way I see it, every brush I buy only further extends the life of all my others... like a support system ;)

Now if I could just get my wife to get on board with my rationale for buying more...

5. drP

drP Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Couldn't have said it better myself Mike...:D

6. I think, for the time being, as long as I'm gentle with my brush and take care of it properly then I should be ok for a long time. Those directions do seem a bit conservative but I just wanted some feedback from you guys. Right now I just have this one brush so I need to keep it in top condition.

7. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Perhaps the painting reference has to do with the density of the Simpson (mine anyway). I have found that the more dense the brush, the harder it becomes to actually get the lather from the brush to your face when applying it in a circular motion. I generally scrub when applying, but finish with a few painting strokes. Otherwise, coverage is spotty at best.

8. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I'm in the same boat as Michael. When I face lather, I scrub it up and get a sick lather, build it in my brush, and then paint it around to even it up and make sure the coat of lather is thick enough to protect and lube, but thin enough so I can see my side burns and lips to avoid trouble.

9. jnich67

jnich67 Member

My initial application is circular (face latherer here), but I've found the to and fro method to be very effective in building a good lather. I think Fergie may have a theory here.

Jordan

10. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Jeez, don't let THAT get around!!!

11. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I use a light circular motion to get the lather worked into the beard and lift the whiskers. Then I sort of paint my face to smooth the lather out. I think if you were to use light pressure, there shouldn't be any significant damage to the brush.

12. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

It's a theory I practice. Scrub, scrub scrub and then finish it with a paint job. I have seen no ill effects to my brushes. Since I store my brushes away from the bathroom, they dry very nicely from day to day so that is not an issue.

13. That's pretty much what I do, too. I think proper care is really the bottom line.

Thanks!

14. jnich67

jnich67 Member

I go more like 50/50 and finish with the painting. It may depend on the brush. My Rooney 1/1 finest does better with the painting than say my Muehle - which is not as dense.

Jordan