To Sell or Keep

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Racso_MS, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

I have a problem. I'm trying to decide what to sell and what to keep. As I prepare for retirement SWMBO said the ones I don't use must go. Welllllll there are some I use occasionally and some I never use, but want. What I have displayed are a few of my razors. There are "several"more but the photo would be to big and I didn't want to take another. I'm trying to decide whether to sell several lots or individual. Any ideas... The cat is not for sale... They have to go and I will ensure they are presentable (i.e. shave worthy) before selling as I've become pretty good at restoration. I take my time and make sure the razor looks good and is in good working condition... Oh the stress... (OBTW, non of my Merkurs (not shown)or any of my German razors are for sale. Some of the German razors are visible in the photo, but I'm keeping them. What do you think...

Attached Files:

2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I bet you could find a lot of sellers considering how well you took care of them. Putting together a full inventory would obviously get the word out fast too.

I say go for it!

3. Will

Will Nevermind

I have been thinking of downsizing my stash and it is not 1/13 the size of yours.

But I will still buy some off ya. :rofl

I would keep'em and tell the wife to ditch her shoes but I would like to be breathing the next day so I would sell the lot.

4. Racso_MS

Hey "Doc",

I'll tell you where to send the flowers when I tell her to sell the shoes (chuckle :rofl). Y'all are ture friends and gentlemen. I'll be married to her for 37 years tomorrow. I guess to appease her I'm going to sell some (except my Merkur and German razors). Just trying to decide is tough because I want to make sure my extended family gets a good product. I pride my self in restoration and take my time doing it so the person who receives the razor gets a good looking and a good shaving razor. Oh well this is my cross to carry. Thanks for the advice and keep you eyes on the For Sale forum :rolleyes:

5. Padron

Padron Active Member

Sweet collection Oscar :drool:drool

6. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

I have at least 17 razors for disposal. I think I'm going to list them on the 'bay in groups of two or three to make certain a few with less demand (Stars, GEMs, old styles) sell. Mine have been partially restored, that is the ones that needed it, by scrubbing, boiling (except gold and plastic), alcohol soak, and germicide but only a quick going over with polish. Most could be brightened up considerably but polishing is the part I don't like. Sanitized yes, shiny no.

I really don't see the connection between retirement and cutting back. Are you going to live full time in a motorhome? Shaving gear isn't a hobby that needs a lot of space. After retirement for a while I collected MG convertibles. My wife had something to say about that but then we live on 40 acres in the woods so space wasn't one of her objections.

Good luck on selling and retirement...

Richard

7. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I think your wife has a point. :D

8. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Happy Anniversary Oscar

....and Ill take that 195 and the 66 off your hands for ya ;)

9. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I'd buy any gillette techs from you. And/or any non USA or non British razors if you have any.

If I were you I would list them all separatly. Most buyers are not looking to buy a collection, but add to a collection. I think you will do more work but get a better individual price.

Are you going to sell here, or on ebay?

10. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Nice job Oscar, throw the bait out, dangle it and reel us in. :D
    I would think a lot of those would go individually and perhaps mix up a few of the techs, SS's, etc.. as a lot to give people a chance to try different ones.
    A really nice collection!

11. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Here is my opinion and its just my opinion:

1) Frist, extract one or two pieces for yourself then give your kids and grandkids the remainder and show them how to use the collection.

2) Look at the remainder and find any duplicates, sell off all duplicates.

3) Personal preference, if you don't like a razor why hold on to it, sell it or swap it for something you like better.

4) Straights vs Souble edge razors, why keep both sell off one or the other.

12. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

What's the critter and is it for sale too? :D

Tough choices you have there.

Suggestions:

OK, you've defined the off limit razors. Merkurs and Germans. Go hide those from SWMBO right now. Out of sight, out of mind.

The ones that are left. You willing to give up str8 shaving? If so, that's one decision down. Sell it all. It's very very hard to maintain both methods of shaving equipment wise.

Now the rest. You shave with it more than 5 times a month. Keep. If not go. One exception. If you have anything worth more than $30 on eBay even though you don't use it, I'd keep it.

Unless it's extremely rare. I'd get rid of all the single edge razors.

I hate to see this and I know I'll be doing it too at some point for my own sanity. Good luck!

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Answer to your first question, Rich. See first post.

And.
    Unless I'm mistaken, Oscar has not gotten into straight shaving yet. Although there are a few in the pic, aren't there?

14. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Oops. missed that. Looks like a Siamese though. :ashamed001

I wasn't sure if he was but I saw the str8s and thought he either did or he dabbled.

15. Racso_MS

Thanks everyone I appreciate the advice.

I'm not using a str8 at the moment but I'm very intrigued by them. I've mentioned in previous threads a "tugging" in that direction but have yet to take the plunge. The str8 in the photo came in a lot that I purchased and is definetly not shave ready. I may try my hand at restoring and maybe buy some sharpening equipment and give it a go. (OH CRAP :eek: STR8 RAD).

Anyway I'll be selling most and argueing with SWMBO about the ones I keep.

Thanks...

For those who sent PM requests for one of the razors, I'll keep you in mind.;)

16. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Are you willing to give up straight shaving all together? If no you have answered some of your own question.

17. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

He just said he wasnt into straight shaving at the moment :rofl

18. JMS

JMS New Member

Get rid of the wife and keep the collection!!;)