Toggle This!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

At these prices, I doubt I'll ever own one!

CLICK ME

2. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Toggles seem to hover there pricewise... I was lucky to get one just under $100, but it was grimey and yukky, needed some serious cleaning!

3. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Mee too! They are out there, not perfect but very usable.

4. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Hat's off to the seller for not falling for the buy it now ploy!! You gotta respect that.

5. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Heck, that's like a big red flag. As soon as someone asks a seller to end an auction early with a "buy it now", they should know they have a hot piece of property.

6. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

This is why I got out of Ebay.

I have a job and that job is not trolling Ebay looking for so called good deals. I'll spend my weekends with my family haunting antique stores and flea markets. It is better time spent.

7. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I also have a job, one that allows many hours of looking on eBay for good deals. :D

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

+1 Hey, wait a minute! That means you're my competition! ::duel

9. Padron

Padron Active Member

Boy, I am glad I don't seriously collect DE's.............. straights are expensive enough. That is a nice razor, don't they shave the same as a fatboy though?

10. Padron

Padron Active Member

Haha, there are a few serious DE collectors here that probably compete against each other quite often :)

11. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Can't speak from personal experience, but from what I hear, they shave more like the 195 than a fatboy. They have the heavier head plate and are just heavier in general. I am still looking for an affordable one myself. :rolleyes: I missed out on a decent one with case that went for $80 :(

12. Padron

Padron Active Member

Well,

Thanks Rodd, they sure are cool.....I think that toggle idea is great, too bad they are soo spendy.

Now that I hear they are different than a fatboy I wouldn't mind trying one myself :o :)

13. Hi Rodd,
    You're right about the toggle being heavier than a fatboy (10 grams heavier), and that head plate does change the weight distribution as well. To me, they are a different razor in how they perform for me.
    There's something that causes the toggle to be just a bit more aggressive than I like. I think (and I may be wrong) the extra weight results in the head contacting my face a little too firmly,even with zero pressure. The shave is close, but not quite as comfortable as I'd like. The handle's longer, and with a different end on it also, resulting in a different grip needed. It's funny, cause I know Bronco actually likes his toggle more than the fatboy.....so go figure.
    To me, the one I have does have it's own character.
    Hope that helps,
    Martin

ObiDon likes this.
  14. Padron

Padron Active Member

Wow,

Great info Martin. I would not have guessed that it weighed an additional 10 grams, for some reason I was picturing the handle as being shorter too...:o

A very cool razor indeed. :cool:

15. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i dont think ill ever "get it" when it comes to that razor. it looks like a midgets jack hammer.

16. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

::duel Ha, ha, and a valiant competitor you are blue monkey!

I find the Toggle shaves to be similiar to a Fat Boy, but the razor balance and weight is distributed like in a 195. The Toggle has a heavy Toggle/195 blade tray and functions with exact precision, the doors snap open and closed and lock down tight like no other DE I've yet found. A very cool razor!

17. Hi Chris,
    That's pretty interesting about the 195 having a head weight comparable to the Toggle. Having never tried a 195, I couldn't comment on it, and had no idea it had a similar tray kinda thing. Rodd was right about that also.
    Thanks for the post,
    Martin

Hehe, that was the last razor I was really interested in trying, but looks like this may not be right for me. Of course, I'd still be willing to shave with one 'for science'.

18. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Here's a closeup of some of my adjustables. You can see what I call a "notched" or "toothed" blade tray on the three on the left and the normal FB tray on the right. The trays on the left are quite heavy compared to the production adjustable's and have beefier safety bars that extend down farther as well.

Toggle, 195, Fat Boy D-1 prototype, production Fat Boy
    [​IMG]

Toggle, 195, Fat Boy D-1 prototype, production Fat Boy
    [​IMG]

ObiDon likes this.
  19. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Nice lineup there, Chris! :drool

20. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Thanks for those pictures! I guess that explains most of it... And I agree, a wetshavers wet dream! Now, I know blue_monkey isn't the slightest interested, really, as he would toss a #195 in a lake :rolleyes: