Tons 'o razors

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by IAmTheJody, Jun 4, 2021.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Hit up a local 40,000 square feet flea market today. Haven't been there in a couple of years, and the last time I did go, there there was not a razor in sight. Come across a booth there today that had tons of them, mostly Gillette Slim and Fatboy adjustables, various years of Super Speed, a few various model GEM single edge...

And I didn't buy a single one. There was really only two that I wanted... The Sheraton with its case, and a clean Probak.

But this is the kind of flea market seller I really loathe. Every single razor in there he would not take any less than $75 for. Would not budge any. Didn't matter if it was beat up, adjuster didn't work, doors stuck, whatever. For anything in a case, he would not budge off of $200. That included the Sheraton and a Star DE razor. At one point he said, "Yeah man, I've got tons of them!" And I replied, "Yeah, that's because you aren't selling any."

Obviously as a buyer, I want the best price I can get. But I'm not paying $75 for anything he had there, including the Sheraton with some crooked teeth and a lazy door. If he had a red dot Fatboy, yes. None of the approximately 20 were a red dot.
    IMG_20210604_111520~2.jpg IMG_20210604_111525~2.jpg
    IMG_20210604_111531~2.jpg
    IMG_20210604_111536~2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

He also doesn't have any razors there worth $75 even after cleaning them up except for maybe that Sheraton and at that price I'd pass buying it from a flea market. You should never pay ebay prices at the local places unless you are buying it to be yours. I work on the assumption everything I buy is passing through until it becomes otherwise.

gorgo2, battle.munky and brit like this.
  3. IAmTheJody

Yup. I've been buying and collecting for 11ish years. As I said, nothing he had was worth $75 and certainly not $200. lol

4. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

When the vendor leaves at the end of the day without selling one razor, he may realize he doesn't quite possess the pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow on his table...

5. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Any big fellow cases? Lol

6. IAmTheJody

From the looks of all the stuff he has, he's been leaving every day without selling much of anything. He must have had about 200 different cast iron cookware pots and pans all around his booth. From the few that I looked at, none of them were below $125. Odd isn't it? He wanted more for that tired Gillette Sheraton than for a lot of his cast iron pans. lol

No, nothing that fancy. lol

7. Jorvaljr

He had a gillette executive. That be fancy sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. IAmTheJody

On a sidenote, I did buy this heavy aluminum and glass container from a different vendor for $5. It now replaces my plastic OXO air-tight container alcohol razor bath as my new alcohol razor bath. I like an alcohol bath for my razors because it not only helps evaporate any left behind water, it also breaks down the soaps and gunks and washes it out of the razors. I don't do it as an antiseptic measure because no one is using my razors but me.
    IMG_20210604_142641~2.jpg IMG_20210604_142651~2.jpg
    IMG_20210604_142747.jpg IMG_20210604_142826.jpg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  9. IAmTheJody

Yes, there was a couple of Executives, Diplomats, Aristocrats... None worth $75. Not in the condition they were in.

10. IAmTheJody

I even offered him $500 cash for all of the razors. I don't have $500 to spend on razors but I did it just to see what he would say or do. He literally started laughing out loud as if I told a joke. He was cackling like a sick hyena.
    :bounce015:

11. Jorvaljr

Lol wowsers. He thought he was sitting on something huuuuge. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. IAmTheJody

Yeah. At his minimum of $75 each, never mind the few he wanted $200 for, he's figuring he has over $2,000 worth.

What. Everrrrrrr. lol

13. brit

brit in a box

imagine what his ebay prices would be..:D:happy097:

14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

they all will sell for a buck or 2 after he bites the dust. or just get tossed.

15. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but this is the type of guy who will make money on the niave buyer. Those who have taken the time to examine the market are not his target audience.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

16. Judoguy

Judoguy Member

There are alot of razor swindlers online and elsewhere..........prices have definitely gone up and razor blade prices have gone down.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

17. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

That pile o' razors just goes to show how big the supply actually is, and how unjustified inflated prices really are. In the not to distant past, people asked for ridiculous prices for vintage razors, even though some fine specimens could always be had for a bargain. More recently, those who paid outlandish prices "for investment purposes" were howling as values came down to more realistic levels. They should have invested in Wolfman razors instead, or perhaps just have taken their wife or girlfriend out to a really nice dinner.

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

He would have long since already ebayed the red dot. It would never make it to the flea market.

He probably did overpay to obtain much of what he's got, foolishly, and knows it, so is bitter because he knows he has no chance to break even. That could explain his inflexibility.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Things like Super Speeds are a dime a dozen same with 3 pc tech razors. Presentation counts also, if they are displayed like junk, price it like junk, you want higher prices present it better.

Certain razors are overpriced but with Gillette razors that aren't a dime a dozen they eventually sell for that outlandish price you may have paid. It is just a matter of listing it on ebay at the right time or flipping it for something else. For example when there are a couple of razors of the one you want to sell. Assuming all things being equal, you watch the auctions see how many people bid, if more bid than items. Wait until no one is listing then you set the hook. Just hope some other a-holes don't start listing at the same time or list a better more complete set which drives the bidders off your auction and onto their's instead. If you want to avoid that you B.I.N. it high and negotiate the B.O. low to avoid getting burned. That keeps the vultures at bay and if it doesn't then it tells you, a. you priced it too low or b. there is a segment of the market you someone how missed.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  20. IAmTheJody

This. I believe this is the explanation for his refusal to budge on his prices.

Sellers like this, and like one on eBay this week asking $399 opening bid and $899 BIN for a used blue Lady Gillette (seller has since ended that listing and hasn't relisted it)... These people irk the ever loving poop out of me. They don't know anything about what they are selling. So they ask a ridiculous price, and then some else comes along looking to sell as well, sees the price and then also asks a ridiculous price. It gets into a never ending cycle among sellers who don't have a clue. I told the guy at the flea market the gold razor in the case was a Gillette Sheraton. He grabbed his phone and started trying to look up information about it. At one point he asked me how to spell Sheraton. Then he just gave up and said he couldn't find anything about it, but he still wanted $200 and no less. It really aggravated me. I wanted to tell him to put one of those old rusty DE blades he had laying amongst the razors, in the Sheraton, and then stick the Sheraton in a certain place South of his equator line...
    :angry032::angry019::rofl::rofl:

Screenshot_20210605-093944aa.jpg

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and Droo78 like this.